Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Super tense and hoarse  (Read 3736 times)

MenoMe

Super tense and hoarse
« on: March 12, 2018, 04:38:43 PM »

Hello, I'm new to this forum and joined because I've been looking for a place where women exchange experiences and share useful advice. I have a specific issue, I hope you can help! I'm 53 and perimenopausal. My periods are irregular (longest break so far 3 months). For almost a year I suffered mammoth lows ("crying in the bathroom"-type stuff and for no apparent reason). For years, taking agnus castus worked well with mood swings, but suddenly that stopped being effective and the lows got worse/heavier. The onset of a period brought release but returned and really built up if my period only came after 2 or 3 months. For the past 6 or so months, the mammoth lows have been replaced with otherwise unexplainable tension - heart rate goes up, I feel pressure in my chest, a fluttering in my stomach, a tightness in my throat. I don't feel anxious (emotionally) but my body reacts like I am about to explode with tension. This also affects my speech. My throat hurts, is dry, my voice goes hoarse and I find it difficult to speak. Since I work in communication, this is not ideal! I've had this hoarseness before when, for a while, I went through a very stressful time at work. But I've left that job and am feeling fine. Aside from this awful tension. A few weeks ago it was so bad I even googled "symptoms of heart attack in women". Three weeks ago I started on estrogen, combined with progesterone for ten days, then a break for a week (that starts Thursday). The waves of this "super tension" occur daily now and are so uncomfortable I almost would prefer the weepies in the bathroom. I have tried breathing deeply, into my chest and stomach, but that doesn't really work when I'm in the midst of one of these spells. Anyone else experienced this during perimenopause and have any advice?

Dotty

Re: Super tense and hoarse
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 08:09:02 AM »

Hi which hrt are you taking? You might need a different dose or type. Menopause can really mess with your emotions.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 09:42:33 AM »

Hi and welcome to MM MenoMe

What you are describing can be very typical of the peri meno stage. Nobody prepares us for what happens when meno hits and the fluctuations of the hormones can be devastating, both physically and mentally.
I don't recognise the HRT you have been given - seems very strange!!! Do tell us more about what you have been prescribed?  The palpitations, heavy chest, dryness are all normal when meno hits.  The surges (super tension) you experience are another form of ‘hot flush' - and these make you brace yourself, therefore tightening everything and this will create great tension and make you loose your voice.  Deep breathing is good but you probably need to start doing some Mindfulness training to help you through this. Getting out for brisk walks is very good - even 10 mins, 3 times a day, can work wonders to relieve stress and keep the circulation working well.

Do read up all the factual info on this site to get clued up about what is happening to you - understanding all this can really help.  Do look under TREATMENTS to find out your options regarding HRT and pop back to you GP for a proper discussion - print stuff off from this site if need to be to help with the discussion.   I think you need to try a low dose of something like Femoston 1/10 for a few months to see if that helps. Progesterone can cause some PMT type symptoms so putting you on a combined progesterone and oestrogen pill for part of the month will not be helping.
Do look at this page on this site: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,38557.0.html
Under 'Menopause symptoms' there is a link to ‘the perils of the perimenopause', which is very interesting reading.
DG x

MenoMe

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 03:01:27 PM »

Many thanks, Dancinggirl and Dotty. I'm on Utrogestan 100 and estrogen gel (I live in Switzerland, so am not sure if the product names help). The Super Tension began before I started this treatment, which was prescribed to help with the Super Lows.While I was waiting for my next period so I could start the treatment, the lows were replaced by the Super Tension. About three months later, I got another period and started it. I'll be checking in with my doctor again in a month or two - I'll see how it goes. I'll definitely check out the websites!

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 05:25:08 PM »

Hello MenoMe and welcome to the forum.

I don't have your exact symptoms but I do have something similar. My anxiety/ tension occurs in my heart and stomach but my bowels often gurgle as well. It feels like a nervous, tension headache but in my body if that makes sense lol. Earlier on in my journey I did have headaches every day but they went after six months never to return and seem to have been replaced by this new type of anxiety.

I'm sorry I can't be of more practical help but you are not alone in your suffering,  infact it sounds very common and I hope you find a successful regime soon.

Take care and keep posting.

K.

Dotty

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 05:33:02 PM »

Oestrogel should be taken every day and the utrogestan added in for 12 days. You don't stop taking the oestrogel.

Tiddles

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 05:41:05 PM »

Hello MenoMe.  What you describe is the symptom that finally sent me to the doctor.  It's a really awful feeling. Trying to explain to the doctor that it's a physical thing that starts in my stomach rather than an actual emotional / worry / conscious anxiety that starts in my head was a struggle but we got there in the end.  The feelings you describe (which had me wondering if it was worth getting up in the mornings anymore at their peak) have gone completely since I started taking HRT.  I haven't experienced it in 6 weeks.  So maybe your HRT needs reviewing?  I'm on Elleste Duet but there is plenty of information on here about all the different types if you find your GP isn't very knowledgable. Good luck and don't give up hope x

lisaclarke68

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 10:09:50 AM »

Hello All... I too am a newbie here and am suffering with huge anxiety like Menome, which you would not believe!  I suffer with extreme OCD and the anxiety is almost killing me.  I too used to get relief from having a period, I used to liken it to a pressure cooker!   I have only just started the perimenopause (I think!)... I am 50 and very scared of how I am going to get through this.  Any help/assistance/guidance would be greatly appreciaed  ;D

MenoMe

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 11:08:03 AM »

Thanks to Tiddles and Kathleen for your posts. It's good to realise that I'm not alone in this. And I know what you mean about the difficulty of describing what's going on in your body during one of these waves. I, too, get the (loudly) gurgling gut thing coupled with tightness (primarily on the left side). Interestingly, yesterday was the first day of the one-week break during which I'll take neither estrogen nor progesterone (as prescribed by my doc). While I still felt hoarse and some tightness in my chest, it was the first day in about a week that I wasn't in the grip of this super tension. If my period comes during this break, it would match the pattern from before I started taking hormones: the feeling of release once the period came. Since I started this treatment only about a month ago and this is my first cycle, I'll give it another month. If the tension waves return, I'll see my doctor (she wants to see me anyway after max. 3 months on this treatment).
To Lisaclarke68: I feel like I've been in pre- and perimenopause for decades, with ever-changing symptoms! I know it's easy to say, but try not to be scared. It helped me to accept what was going on, to talk about it with friends (and, yes, even my partner) and to have a good doctor who understood and took me seriously. When you're sobbing in the bathroom or so tense and wound up you think you'll explode, it's of course hard to tell yourself "go with the flow". Breathing consciously and deeply helps a bit, but I've found moving my bum does too. Getting outdoors and into fresh air, even it's just for a brisk 10-minute walk around the block or sitting in a park or doing some exercise help. I've also found that watching a DVD, a documentary or an episode of a series I've recorded helps take my mind off me and what's happening in my body, esp. in the evenings. I've also got a great massage therapist I've been seeing for years who also does cranio-sacral massage. That helps  too, at least for a little while.