Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Period anxiety  (Read 4217 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Period anxiety
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 03:42:41 PM »

It isn't easy.  Been there ........

What's the worst that could happen when your daughter menstruates?

Happytobe

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2017, 01:21:23 PM »

It's that time again. My daughter's period and I'm feeling really anxious. I know it's silly and nothing is going to happen to her but I can't get rid of the anxiety. I feel very low and weepy and never feel that I can get much done. A feeling like I'm wading through treacle.

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2017, 02:03:48 PM »

Even though you know it's irrational; and that nowt is likely to happen; it doesn't stop the anxiety kicking in.  You need to speak to your GP about anti-anxiety medication to see if that will help next month, i.e. take it prior to her due date for 2 nights .......

Happytobe

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2017, 06:04:21 PM »

I don't really want to go down the meds route but I suppose I need to. Life has been hard over the last 5 years and I think it has taken its toll on me.

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2017, 07:52:46 PM »

What's to lose?  If on an an-necssary basis: but I would suggest if you do decide to try a medication that you do so in the weeks you are less anxious so that you 'feel' any effects: you will also find out how long the pill is likely to take to work.

Happytobe

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 09:55:01 AM »

It's my daughter's period again. Last 3 months been not so bad but this month heavy. Feel really panicky and scared. Please someone tell me she can't due from this....I know that's really extreme thinking. I just can't seem to calm down when she has her period. Sorry.

Snoooze

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2018, 10:52:42 AM »

No she won't die from a heavy period. Yes you have anxiety about this but try to rationalise it in your mind. The last three months haven't been as bad. I quite often would have a light period one month then a heavy one the next but I have friends and relatives who had very, very heavy periods every month and nothing bad happened to them.
Why doesn't your daughter go on the pill which should make her periods lighter?

Happytobe

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2018, 02:59:00 PM »

Thanks for replying. I know it's irrational I just don't seem to be able to take in that she will be ok. I doubt she'd go on pill as she has difficulty going to Dr and taking medication. She is on sertraline for anxiety and OCD.

TheWorstWitch

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2018, 11:01:50 AM »

Hi HappyToBe - stressful situation for you I can see - and I think it's always harder worrying about someone else's health than your own.

I can tell you from personal experience though that it really does take a long while to get to the stage of being an emergency due to over-heavy periods - and by "over heavy" I mean things like going through a super+ tampon AND a max absorbency pad inside an hour (inside 20 minutes at times!) and regularly being in that state for 5 days at a time, and on several occasions having bleeds that lasted up to a month - my first overly heavy period was in July 2014 - and things got steadily worse for several years with symptoms getting worse and worse until I did indeed end up in the emergency situation you fear last October - but that took three years of VERY extreme problems to get to that stage. Absolutely not wanting to trivialise your daughter's situation but I did think that maybe knowing how long it takes to get to that stage might help you worry a little less as it really is highly unusual for things to get to that level. I was in a very severe situation but I'm still here to tell the tail! 

Why not suggest to your daughter that she considers taking a daily "WellWoman" or own brand equivalent tablet - the Boots own brand include 100% of the daily requirement of iron which will help, it might also help her to keep a diary of her periods so she really gets a feel for what is normal for her - she could do this in a "notes" app on her smartphone perhaps - most of those can have password protection used to keep them from prying eyes.

If you can get her to go to the Dr's then go with her, and ask about the contraceptive patch which is a good option for someone who'd not great with taking tablets or anything more invasive - I used it for years as a result of a poor memory meaning that taking the pill wasn't a good choice for me, the surgery didn't much like it but I held my ground on it and they did prescribe. It does make periods lighter - MUCH lighter in fact, and regular as clockwork which can also be very helpful to reduce anxiety around them.

If you're not comfortable talking to the GP about anxiety medication for yourself then maybe try something like Rescue Remedy as a starting point? A lot of folk swear by that. I have to say though from what you've said it does sound as though a chat with the GP might be helpful. You might also look at a Scottish NHS website called "Moodjuice" - very helpful indeed on the subject of anxiety.

Snoooze

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2018, 02:12:28 PM »

Good advice.

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2018, 05:39:05 PM »

How bothered is your daughter?  Does her OCD increase pre-menstruatlly?  If so she can access support from groups across the UK ....... that may give *you* some relief.  I had very HEAVY, clotty periods: pain beyond words  :'( - 10 days bleed, 10 days off, 10 days on - for 5 years.

Still here <wave>
Pages: 1 [2]