Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Perimenopause and crippling anxiety.  (Read 6250 times)

Lizzyb

Perimenopause and crippling anxiety.
« on: January 20, 2018, 02:46:16 PM »

Hi new here. Please reply. I am 44 just diagnosed as in perimenopause with hormone imbalance. Always been an anxious person but this is the second debilitating episode in 2 years (when periods first went haywire. Just started ellest duet. Any comments I'm suffering so much.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Perimenopause and crippling anxiety.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 03:05:46 PM »

Anxiety can be debilitating.  Regardless of the causation, would it be wise for your GP to prescribe an 'as necessary' anti-anxiety medication?  To give you a bit of respite until the HRT does/not kick in?

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 07:39:12 PM »

Hi Lizzyb

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your symptoms. When you say your periods are going haywire - in what way do you mean? Have they started becoming irregular - sometimes longer gaps between them, sometimes shorter, heavy, light etc?

Your doctor is right to prescribe HRT as first line of treatment for menopausal symptoms including anxiety, rather than anti-depressants - in fact this topic was covered only this week in Woman's Hour! I presume it is the 1 mg dose you have been given to start with?

At your age it is important to take HRT if you are in peri-menopause and as oestrogen levels drop overall - to help protect your heart and bones. It might take a while to settle and sometimes women need to try a few types before settling on one they like. Do keep a diary of how you feel at different points in your cycle and on different parts of the HRT so that if you continue to experience symptoms you might be able to pin-point the cause.

At this point medication is not advised - as I mentioned - and there are other ways to try to cope with anxiety than ADs (which can also depress libido).This week also there was a new post on the Dr Daisy blog on this website about CBT and self-help measures (there is also the site nomorepanic.co.uk which has some behavioural strategies) and there are various books that have ideas to help ( there was a thread on this somewhere!).

Here is a link to the blog:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/daisy/Dr-Daisy-jan2018.pdf

I hope this helps and do keep posting if you need more advice and support - there is always someone here! :)

Hurdity x

Samade

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 11:51:33 PM »

:hug: I so empathise, Anxiety is so awful, by far my worst symptom. It will improve, how quickly varies by person.  Xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 01:20:36 PM »

How R U today?

Roseneath

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 06:11:31 PM »

How are you doing LizzyB? Anxiety and insomnia were main main symptoms (aside from periods being different cycle lengths 24-31ish)
and I had 8 weeks of hell on Ellestre Duet; felt paranoid, nightmares - much worse than anything before or after.  I wish my GP had mentioned these side effects were possible as I know now from this site they are not uncommon and also the experience has ' put me off' HRT for a while. Do keep in touch with your GP , even by phone, as I wish I had phoned mine earlier when I felt so bad. Don't feel you have to hang on in there for 3 months until you have a review.