Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: New and confused!  (Read 1520 times)

julesmull

New and confused!
« on: January 15, 2018, 04:31:35 PM »

Hi all and thank you for approving me, hoping you can help me with a few questions!
Firstly, is it common for peri-menopause to be associated with bacterial vaginosis and/or cystitis? A couple of years ago I was having recurring bouts of either or both of these, incredibly unpleasant and seemed to follow basically every time I had sex. Anyone else experienced this?
Soon after this I began getting some other symptoms which initially I didn't put together - dry skin, breaking nails, thin/dry hair etc. And then the night sweats and insomnia started. I went to the doctor who put me on HRT, initially Elleste Duet 1mg, which didn't really do anything, so then the GP increased me to 2mg. The night sweats and insomnia have improved, but are very much still there. I'm disappointed the HRT hasn't dealt with it better - from what I've heard from other people it's been more or less a miracle cure. I'm not sure whether I should investigate my hormonal levels further through blood tests - to be honest I feel the GP is guessing as much as I am. Or whether I should try switching to patches or another brand of HRT? Any thoughts gratefully received!

Dotty

Re: New and confused!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 04:45:15 PM »

How long have you been on 2mg?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 04:53:51 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Julesmull

Vaginal infections do increase when meno hits - the flora balance goes when our ‘lady bits' dry up due to the oestrogen deficiency adn bacteria can take hold more easily.  Local oestrogen (Vagifem or Ovestin) will help and also vaginal moisturisers (SYLK or the YES products you can get online).

You haven't told us where you are in your meno journey? How old are you? Were you still having periods before you started HRT? If you were low in oestrogen before starting HRt then it can take time for the HRt to do it's magic.  HRt doesn't work for all women but if there is some reduction in flushes etc then that is good.  You might do better with transdermal HRT.  Look under TREATMENTS at the top of this page to see your options.  It can be trial and error before you find teh best hormone balance.  DG x

julesmull

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 05:41:10 PM »

Thanks Dotty and Dancinggirl - I am 48, bit surprised to be hit by all this so early as my mum was well in her 50s when meno struck, but she is very stoical so may well just have absorbed many symptoms without complaint! I was still having periods before I started on HRT, more frequent and much lighter, going on for absolutely ages, dark coloured. I'm just not sure why the HRT isn't working better for me - waking up boiling several times a night, not exactly 'sweats' but very hot, throwing off covers etc - nothing like that in the daytime though; and wondering if I should be getting blood levels tested because I think GP are just working on a trial and error basis. I didn't notice a huge difference between taking 1mg of Elleste and 2mg so maybe I should reduce the amt. It all feels very much like guesswork!!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 12:34:44 PM »

HI Julesmull

It's strange that you are just getting night sweats - if you were getting flushes during the day, I would say the HRT was not working but it clearly is or you wouldn't probably get day time flushes.  It could be worth having your thyroid function tested.  If the increase in dose didn't make a difference, then it could be something else making you hot at might.
It could be simply down to having a colder bedroom and a lighter duvet. WE have no heating in our bedroom and use a 4 tog duvet and still tend to wake feeling really hot in the night!!! 

The peri stage can be tricky - you own hormones will be fluctuating in the background.
I'd try a cooler bedroom to see if that helps - it's amazing how much heat 2 bodies give off over several hours, making the room more stuffy and warm.  DG x

Dotty

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 12:41:14 PM »

Hi hrt has stopped my day flushes but not the night ones. I wake up hot and sweaty. No heating in bedroom and a 1 tog duvet .

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 12:43:04 PM »

Over heating at night is a tricky one.  My husband over heats at night as well, so it's not just menopausal women!!!! 
DG x

knorman

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 03:19:57 PM »

Hello Julesmull

I have never had hot flushes during the day, only ever in the evening and continuosly throughout the night. My 2mg elleste completely took away evening  flushes by 2 weeks and night heats in bed by 3 weeks. However, my Dr did say full effects should kick in within 3 months, so I was delighted with 3 weeks. Some women only take a few days for the heats to go. We are all different, so well worth persevering. Good luck.