Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: New here - Breast cancer risk so can't take HRT - help please!  (Read 1419 times)

Cordelia3

New here - Breast cancer risk so can't take HRT - help please!
« on: January 19, 2018, 01:15:23 PM »

I'm 48 and for the last 2 years have been waking up several times a night with sweats and in the day am overly anxious yet my periods have ramped up rather than waned.  They are at least every 3 weeks and last for 5 days - exceptionally heavy for 3 days.   I am taking tranexamic acid which does work.  Also taking Prozac.  Not entirely sure why but since taking it have been able to cope with the anxiety better.  Recently I have started having hot flushes which make me feel incredibly ill, bright red and sweating.  Not a good look for the classroom (secondary).  My carpal tunnel (long term issue) is shocking right now and often I find it difficult to write on the board without pain (generally I use powerpoints pre-prepared but when the computers don't work there is no choice).   
Due to being in a high breast cancer risk group (surgery last year found a number of 'markers' - LCIS and ADH/ALH) HRT is not recommended.
I walk / run regularly and eat sensibly.  What else can I do?  I'm contemplating stopping teaching for a bit until symptoms subside as it is all overwhelming.    Suggestions welcomed.  Local clinic would be Nuffield so a bit costly.

Daisydot

Re: New here - Breast cancer risk so can't take HRT - help please!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 04:38:31 PM »

Hi cordelia3 I'm sure one of the more knowledgable ladies will be along to advise so meantime just to say I recently went to Nuffield in Coventry and the consultantation was private 45 mins for £195 and I was then referred to nhs for dexa scan etc.the consultant there works in the nhs and private sector and that was how he was able to do that,it meant I got seen sooner within a couple of days actually,and he changed my hrt to transdermal gel vagifem tablets to be taken internally for VA and oestrogen cream for vagina as and when required.Although it's early days I seem to be doing very well on this,im 60 with no womb so only really need oestrogen.as far as I'm aware transdermal route is the safest with least side effects but obviously that's something you'd have to discuss with any consultant or your gp but the ladies on here will give you the benefit of their experience and knowledge as well.good luck xx

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 05:34:20 PM »

Hello Cordelia3 and welcome to the forum.

Regrettably I can't help you with your question but I'm sure one of the expert ladies will be along shortly.

Wishing you well and keep posting.

K.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 07:29:34 PM »

Oh dear - been and gone - the second in two days  :-\

Sorry to see you departed as soon as you arrived Cordelia3. All the members on here are busy people and sometimes it might take someone a while to look something up or think how to respond but is not always immediate! The forum is very busy and members pop in and out and sometimes only have a chance to look at a few posts (I'm one of those) and might not get to the new members' board straight away! You will always get a response though - and hopefully with some of the advice you are seeking!

If you would like to reconsider your membership you will get more welcomes and some points of view on your question?

If you are reading - wishing you all the best anyway :)

Hurdity x