Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Maca experiences?  (Read 2924 times)

Rustysmum

Maca experiences?
« on: February 16, 2018, 01:54:23 PM »

Hi, due to becoming desperate again because of an increase in pvcs I started Maca - am taking an organic Gelatinized brand. The effects have been amazing - it has really helped. Has anyone used this in the past and successfully come off it without a recurrence of symptoms Once through meno? I have read some people say you should have a regular break from it to keep all the hormone receptors working but S soon as I stop the symptoms come straight back. If this is not really necessary I don't want to have to take the break. Would love to hear from anyone who has had experience of it. Thanks

Hurdity

Re: Maca experiences?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 05:44:58 PM »

Hi Rustysmum

I did a literature search about this a while back and put up some links and then referred back to that when another member asked recently. The last thread is here:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37234.msg596363.html#msg596363

To do a search you go to the home page of the forum and type the product name in and then look at the threads which come up.

As far as I remember it is just a food supplement and may have some nutritional benefits but won't act like HRT.

Hurdity x

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 06:08:05 PM »

I remember when I first joined this forum - probably around eleven years ago - that Maca was being talked about then. A few members were trying it but they gave up due to digestive issues. There was also a problem for one member who was taking a thyroid supplement I seem to remember. Hope you feel better soon.

Taz x

dangermouse

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 07:05:09 PM »

I think the point with nutritional supplements is that there may be a nutritional deficiency that is behind severe hormone deficiencies (beyond the normal redistribution at menopause).

Perhaps it's one of the reasons why some women ‘sail through' (if you'll forgive the overused analogy!), as opposed to the debilitating hell other women suffer through.

A friend has had 2 operations with a general anaesthetic and she has suffered from the post op night sweats. Her first op was a hysterectomy so we had assumed it was due to that (even though she kept her ovaries) but it happened again after a bowel op and research shows that it's caused by the hypothalamus kicking back in after the general wears off. As we know, doctors still do not understand the root cause of menopausal night sweats and this could be a similar event to what happens to the brain after anaesthetia

To bring my ramble back into context, if the body can produce the correct raw materials to produce a more balanced hormonal state, then perhaps nutritional supplements play a bigger role than we realise.