Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Menopause/ depression  (Read 2604 times)

Judith

Menopause/ depression
« on: December 28, 2017, 04:59:10 PM »

Hi
I am new to this forum and was hoping to look for a bit of advice. For the last 6 months I haven't been feeling myself and been pretty unhappy. I couldn't pin point it and went to the doctor as felt it all came to a head a few weeks ago. I explained how I was feeling and the fact I was pretty weepy. I have previously been taking setraline which is a mild anti depressant. The doctor said and I probably agreed that the way I was feeling was very much to do with the menopause so he put me on HRT, evorel conti. As I was put on that I decided just to come off the setraline which is hinesight I shouldn't have suddenly done that as I did that 3 weeks ago. Then last weekend I just kept crying and felt anxious and was shaky. I have also had loss of appetite. I went out on Christmas Eve for a drink and had to force myself to go and also felt as if I couldn't deal with all the people in the pub although I knew a lot of them. I only had 1 drink and didn't even enjoy that.I started taking the setraline again on Sunday and last couple days I can talk about the way I feel without crying. My other half is there for me but don't really think men understand. I am beginning to think it is depression I am suffering from or a bit of both. My very good neighbour is coming with me as a bit of support as I a man back at the doctor tomorrow. I would appreciate any advice or comments on this . I also read the side affects of evorel and it mentions nausea and depression. At the moment I feel as if there is no light at the end of the tunnel but my friend has assured me I will get better.

Dotty

Re: Menopause/ depression
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 05:09:12 PM »

Hi

I am suffering with what you are describing. I have nausea and lack of appetite as menopausal symptoms. I am 53 and 3 yrs post meno.

I have been told that it could take 3 months for the hrt to work and to persevere with it and not give up.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 05:10:53 PM by Dotty »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 05:10:46 PM »

HORMONES ?  >:(

Do you keep a mood/food/symptom diary to chart your feelings?

Judith

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 07:01:16 PM »

Hi no I've not kept a food or mood diary. I am back at docs tomorrow and I have written everything down that I want to say to him. What I think I am wanting is a quick fix to my problem and I know I'm not going to get that.

Dotty

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 07:34:36 PM »

Unfortunately there isn't a quick fix x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 07:53:55 PM »

Is alcohol a necessity?  Many ladies reach The Change and find that they can no longer tolerate drink.

Let us know how you get on.

Judith

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 08:31:39 PM »

Thanks. No alcohol is not a necessity but I don't drink that much anyway.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 09:02:58 PM »

I haven't drunk much over the years, probably due to draining the adults' dregs when aged about 4, apparently I danced on the C.mas table  ;D

Some ladies find that HRT is enough to ease depression and anxiety feelings, some need anti-depressant medication as well.  It's the Trial and Error that can be tiring.

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 05:48:46 PM »

Hi Judith

:welcomemm:

You didn't say how loing since your last period but I assume more than a year as you've been given Evorel conti?

Thing is - long before your periods stopped your hormones would have been fluctuating and oestrogen gradually dropping so unless you have suffered from depression before or there is another reason (in your life) for you to feel like this, then as the doctor says, it is very likely due to menopause - and perhaps sertraline is/was not the answer - although as you've started it I can imagine it would have to be withdrawn carefully.

Also you haven't said how old you are but it's often better to start with a sequential HRT (one that gives a withdrawal bleed) so that you can see whether you can tolerate the progestogen part of it - which is the hormone that can sometimes cause more side effects - and could be responsible for how you are feeling. However side effects are to be expected when your body has been without oestrogen so I would suggest you give it a bit longer to see if they do - 3 months is normally the recommended time. If they don't settle, then maybe try the sequential preparation (eg Evorel sequi or Femseven sequi) and see how you get on. After that once you are stabilised on the HRT, you may slowly be able to stop the anti-depressant if you were given it for hormonal depression.

What you don't want to happen is for the progestogen HRT to give you bad side effects like anxiety and low mood and then have to continue to take the sertraline to counter this ie one drug to alleviate the side effects of another! Ideally the increased oestrogen should be making you feel better - but it doesn't work overnight. You may also need a higher dose especially if you are young? Make sure you get plenty of exercise and fresh air if you can, as well as (once Christmas is over) cutting back on sugary foods and carbs and eating a really healthy diet - and you will be well on the way to feeling better :)

Hurdity x

Judith

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 05:15:48 PM »

Hi
Thanks for your reply. I haven't had depression before but have been prone to feeling down. I am 56 and haven't had a period for about 18 months. He has increased me to 100mg of setraline so I was going to see how I got on with that as I have to go back at end of January. I'm not sure if the depression can be a side affect of the patch. I was also told that I could take m-htp from the health food shop for low mood but the doctor said he wants to see if the Setraline is working so he said don't take that this now. I have not cried since Xmas eve so that is a plus. I just hope I feel a bit better soon as don't like this feeling.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 07:14:48 PM »

If this works for you stick with it for a while.  Hormonal upheaval can cause anxiety and depression.  Some ladies need both HRT and ADs/Aanxiety treatments

Stillsearching

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 09:27:53 PM »

Hi
Thanks for your reply. I haven't had depression before but have been prone to feeling down. I am 56 and haven't had a period for about 18 months. He has increased me to 100mg of setraline so I was going to see how I got on with that as I have to go back at end of January. I'm not sure if the depression can be a side affect of the patch. I was also told that I could take m-htp from the health food shop for low mood but the doctor said he wants to see if the Setraline is working so he said don't take that this now. I have not cried since Xmas eve so that is a plus. I just hope I feel a bit better soon as don't like this feeling.

Hi Judith

I don't know what m-htp is but I take 5HTP and it's sounds the same. You musn't take it with anti depressants it's dangerous. I was on Sertraline for 2 years and I became a crazy woman. I weaned myself off them, had counselling and found 5HTP.

Judith

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 01:02:56 PM »

Hi stillsearching
I was on 50mg setraline and he put me up to 100. I was going to see how I was at end of January as obviously don't want to stay on them indefinitely. I would need to wean myself properly this time. My problem was when I started HRT I just stopped taking them which I shouldn't have done. In what way did they make you crazy. I was offfered a wellbeing card that I could go and speak to somebody if I wanted but again was going to wait till end of January. The ones I was talking about are 5 HTP so you are saying don't take them with the Sentra line. I got them from the health food shop. I was hoping that if I managed after a few months without the anti depressants I could start taking them.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 01:56:14 PM »

The difference between a Health Food Shop and Pharmacy is in the name ......... in the latter Staff are qualified.  In Health Food Shops they have no obligation to ask what other medications a person may be taking, nor will they have knowledge as to any contra-indications!  They are in business to sell product.