Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Joining the Club  (Read 1490 times)

SueSocks

Joining the Club
« on: January 08, 2018, 02:03:53 PM »

Hi all. Just found this website which I hope will help in my perimenopausal journey which I've just embarked on aged 49 and in time give me the ability to help others down in the line. It's early stages but the anxiety and emotion at times is overwhelming. I was talking to myself as you would a child this morning who doesn't want to go to school, because I really really didn't want to face going to work. Trying to get through it myself at the moment as my doctor didn't feel I needed to do anything when I went to see her a few months ago. But I have been empowered by the stories on here that if it gets worse I should go and get more help.
Very happy to realise that I'm not alone in this.

Brainless

Re: Joining the Club
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 02:06:07 PM »

Welcome suesocks  :welcomemm:

Salad

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 02:26:11 PM »

Hi  :)

:welcomemm:

Roseneath

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 04:12:14 PM »

Welcome Suesocks. This site has been a lifesaver for me. You can have a rant, get support, shed a tear, blast your DH or even in the middle of a meltdown have a laugh. We all understand because we are all feeling the same things.

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 04:46:09 PM »

Hello SueSocks and welcome to the forum.

This can be a very challenging time for some of us but the wonderful ladies of the forum are here to lend a hand.

Take care and keep posting.

K.

Samade

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 01:39:20 PM »

welcome, you are definitely not alone.  It can be overwhelming at times and this place can be a big hug when you need it  :)

Peaceluvva

• Knowledge is power
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 11:44:09 PM »

Hello SueSocks and Welcome.

Just wanted to share with you something I found out a few months ago through my GP.  Antidepressants, particularly SSRI's, are often prescribed for women approaching the menopause.  Nobody understands why they help with the vasomotor symptoms, which are hot flushes, night sweats, etc.  Here is a link to a lot of studies that were due on this:  http://mhc.cpnp.org/doi/full/10.9740/mhc.2015.11.260?code=cpnp-site

Now SSRi's are more usually licensed to treat Anxiety, so it stands to reason that you may be an ideal candidate for this treatment option.  Speak to your GP and I reckon they will be pleased to help you in this way.

Good Luck with whatever you decide,
Peaceluvva x

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 08:16:12 AM »

Hi SueSocks

:welcomemm: from me too!

When you say you have embarked on peri-menopause - I presume you mean your periods have started to go haywire? Maybe you haven't started to have flushes and sweats yet - and maybe you won't get them? However re the question of anti-depressants - if you are peri-menopausal then HRT is the first line of treatment in the first instance for all menopausal symptoms including anxiety (even though some SSRI's can reduce sweats and flushes). The tricky time  can be the period (of time) before peri-menopause when periods are still regular and ovulation is still occurring - when pms symptoms may worsen. Sometimes low dose hRT can help at this point but not always!

Do ask if you need any help with anything and hopefully your doctor is receptive to and knowledgeable about hRT should you want to try it when (if!) the time comes that you would like some help with menopausal symptoms!

Hurdity x