Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Bleeding  (Read 1254 times)

Yvonne

Bleeding
« on: December 15, 2017, 04:03:35 PM »

Hello, I am new here and I was looking for some advise.
I am 56 not had periods for about 6 years on HRT combs no bleeding at all then last month bleeding started on and off. Doctor sent me for scan. Thickening of the womb and referred to gynaecologist. But started bleeding very heavy now for last 2 weeks, doctor said stop HRT which I have done.
Also have to add I lost my husband in June after a short illness Pancreatic Cancer.
Now what has started all this change is it because I have had a rubbish year and stress etc. Or is it time to just let my body do its thing.
Any insight till I get my appointment through.
Thank you.

Dancinggirl

Re: Bleeding
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 04:38:44 PM »

Hi and welcome

It's not unusual to get problematic bleeding on a continuous HRT. It may be good to have a break now anyway to see how you cope without HRT - if you then feel you need to have HRT again then perhaps have a Mirena fitted and use oestrogen  alongside as gel, patch or pills. The Mirena is very good at preventing the build up of the lining.
You have had a tough time - the trauma of loosing your husband may have effected the absorbtion of the HRT so caused the lining to build.
Hope you find a good way forward. DG x

Yvonne

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 05:07:07 PM »

Hi

Thank you, yes I think perhaps I shall have a break and see if the bleeding stops. Take it from there and see how I go.
Yvonne x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 08:44:00 PM »

Hi Yvonne

So sorry to hear about your husband - that is an awful illness and often diagnosed very late, so must have been a terrible shock for you. No wonder your body has reacted. It is not usual to bleed suddenly so long after being on a continuous combined HRT - and obviously the balance has been upset, and very important that you are being investigated. I am assuming you will have a quick referral due to the bleeding - even though you were on HRT - you should be referred under the 2 week rule (I think this also applies to women on conti HRT  who experience unexpected bleeding?). Once you have been investigated and treated if necessary, there is no reason for you to stop HRT as you are still young and indeed it would probably be beneficial for you given your circumstances - the last thing you want to cope with is feeling additional depression, low mood and hot flushes on top of grieving for your husband and trying to cope with your changed life as it now is. Now is not the time to have to go through that too.

It may just be a thickened lining - in which case you may be given a course of progestogen to thin it - and Dancinggirl's suggestion of a Mirena coil to prevent further build up is a good one. Then you can start patches again and hopefully remain on an even keel - at least in terms of flushes and sweats.

Do let us know how you get on and the outcome of your investigations - and do take care.

Hurdity x