Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 30

Author Topic: Holidays 2018  (Read 65674 times)

dulciana

Re: Holidays 2018
« Reply #105 on: April 10, 2018, 11:41:56 AM »

I went to Rome 25 years ago and it was fab,we saw pope John Paul on the balcony and got blessed in the square it was a fabulous place to visit so much history as you say but god the feeling of intimidation by the pickpockets was awful you needed eyes everywhere,The style and dress of the city people was fab too so classy looking in every age group,I know over the years there's probably been massive changes but it's so worth going to.theres a lady at the coliseum and she gets a grant from the government to feed and look after theferal cats there as it keeps the rats under control it was lovely chatting to her,I'm cats mad as youll guess lol,yes as dulciana says definately go and like all the big cities now just be security concious.xx

Lucky you, Daisydot.   :)  We got ourselves tickets for the Sunday morning Mass with Pope Francis in St. Peter's Square.  Well....we set off for the metro after breakfast in plenty of time.  We had to change trains after one stop so we got off and went down the escalator towards the platform for our connection. At the bottom of the escalator, however, there was what I could only describe as a seething mass of people who we very nearly crashed into as we tried to step off the escalator.  This crowd continued right over to the edge of the platform where our connection to St. Peter's was leaving from.  I knew at that point that, with all my recent anxiety, there was no way at all that I could cope with this crowd and that the only thing to do was to cancel our planned visit to St. Peter's Square.  Why were there so many people??  The flipping Rome Marathon, that's why!!  >:(     In the end, we went to Mass at another church, which was beautiful, but I did feel very disappointed.  Oh well, at least we still have the tickets to say that we almost went!!   :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 11:43:55 AM by dulciana »

Daisydot

« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2018, 11:56:13 AM »

Aww that was crap dulciana after all that effort I'm sad for you as that would have been your highlight.your anxiety would have most definately been through the roof anyone's would but there's always next year lol.good excuse to go back.pope Paul came to Glasgow in 1978 in the famous pope mobile and he came to the park at BellaHouston opposite where I lived so I also had the luxury of hanging out my tenement window watching the crowds but Rome was the icing on the cake for me,funny thing is my husband and children are R.C and I'm Protestant but it meant so much to me I'd have been a great catholic  :rofl:
When we went to St. Paul's sq there were little shops there and I got a certificate that was blessed by the pope but it had to be sent to me and I waited about 5 or 6 months with everyone saying I'd been ripped off but it did come just in time for Easter,sadly it's been lost with all the house moves but I felt so special at the time lol.hope I've not bored you it was just a happy memory for me.

dulciana

« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2018, 12:06:37 PM »

.............pope Paul came to Glasgow in 1978 in the famous pope mobile and he came to the park at BellaHouston opposite where I lived so I also had the luxury of hanging out my tenement window watching the crowds...........

Wow.  Amazing. 
D.

Two hoots

« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2018, 12:07:50 PM »

Home yesterday after 10 days in France, 7 days in our favourite apartment in Dinan Brittany where the weather started off mixed but ended with us being able to sit outside with a glass of cider  :) then two nights in a hotel outside of Lille for us to watch the cycling on Sunday, once again a lovely sunny perfect day for being outside.

A night in a nice hotel for my birthday in a couple of weeks followed by a visit to gardeners world live/good food show in the nec Birmingham in June are my next trips  ;D

Daisydot

« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2018, 12:35:58 PM »

It's great when the weather is kind to you two hoots isn't it makes the holiday so much more enjoyable,that sounded lovely and nec sounds a good day out enjoy ! Xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2018, 01:48:26 PM »

We walked away from Lourdes  :-\ - plastic cruicifixes, plastic Madonnas, along side flick knives for sale to the public.  From front windows of houses closest to the 'baths'.  Would never go again. 

Nowt planned.  Other than house clearing this week >sigh< can't fill my head with the thought of going elsewhere  :-\

Was it Paris Rubeux [sp] Two hoots?

dulciana

« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2018, 01:50:22 PM »

We have the passion play booked at Oberammergau in June 2020 its once every ten years and we booked the fairytale castles tour with it can't wait for that one,many years ago we were in Belgium and wondered what all the fuss was about the streets were heaving with people so we found a little pavement cafe and sat down to have a bite to eat and god we didn't realise we were slap the middle of the procession of the holy blood,we had unwittingly secured grandstand seats in the pavement cafe and it was fabulous watching it,all the priests in their coloured robes and guards with machine guns and of course the chalice with the holy blood in it carried high it was astounding,we really have been lucky, right place right time, same in Jerusalem we got to light a candle in Christ's birthplace supposedly,I don't know don't care it was just so special to me.My next wish list is Lourdes.thats quite achievable not so expensive as the others.told you I'd have been a great catholic  :rofl:

That sounds really wonderful, Daisydot.  I'd love to visit Lourdes one day, too. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 01:56:55 PM by dulciana »

Two hoots

« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2018, 02:31:27 PM »

Yes it was Paris Roubaix CLKD, We watched the race in two places. When the race reached our second viewing spot the riders were very spread out and lots had already quit because of the early crashes. Better half and son went on the the velodrome to watch the finish but they dropped me at the hotel so I saw it on the tv after a lovely shower to was the dust off  ;D

We enjoyed the day and then heard the sad news about the young rider, such an awful thing to happen  :'(

Katejo

« Reply #113 on: April 10, 2018, 03:57:04 PM »

I went to Rome 25 years ago and it was fab,we saw pope John Paul on the balcony and got blessed in the square it was a fabulous place to visit so much history as you say but god the feeling of intimidation by the pickpockets was awful you needed eyes everywhere,The style and dress of the city people was fab too so classy looking in every age group,I know over the years there's probably been massive changes but it's so worth going to.theres a lady at the coliseum and she gets a grant from the government to feed and look after theferal cats there as it keeps the rats under control it was lovely chatting to her,I'm cats mad as youll guess lol,yes as dulciana says definately go and like all the big cities now just be security concious.xx

Lucky you, Daisydot.   :)  We got ourselves tickets for the Sunday morning Mass with Pope Francis in St. Peter's Square.  Well....we set off for the metro after breakfast in plenty of time.  We had to change trains after one stop so we got off and went down the escalator towards the platform for our connection. At the bottom of the escalator, however, there was what I could only describe as a seething mass of people who we very nearly crashed into as we tried to step off the escalator.  This crowd continued right over to the edge of the platform where our connection to St. Peter's was leaving from.  I knew at that point that, with all my recent anxiety, there was no way at all that I could cope with this crowd and that the only thing to do was to cancel our planned visit to St. Peter's Square.  Why were there so many people??  The flipping Rome Marathon, that's why!!  >:(     In the end, we went to Mass at another church, which was beautiful, but I did feel very disappointed.  Oh well, at least we still have the tickets to say that we almost went!!   :)
I listened to the then Pope in 1986 on my first trip to Rome. I have been back to the Square since in 2012 when I had a room in a flat only 2 mins walk away.

dulciana

« Reply #114 on: April 10, 2018, 04:16:15 PM »

I listened to the then Pope in 1986 on my first trip to Rome. I have been back to the Square since in 2012 when I had a room in a flat only 2 mins walk away.

:)

Katejo

« Reply #115 on: April 11, 2018, 03:39:17 PM »

I am doing the following tour with Explore in late June. https://www.explore.co.uk/holidays/budapest-to-prague
I will also be in Italy for a week (Bologna and a day in Venice) in September.
Hoping for a mini break (2-3 days) in Bath in May but I haven't booked it yet.

Lanzalover

« Reply #116 on: April 15, 2018, 09:40:51 PM »

Finally finished packing  :)

Off to bed now as we have to be up at 4am !

Lanzalover x

CLKD

« Reply #117 on: April 15, 2018, 10:10:07 PM »

;D. we only see 1 4 o'clock and it usually appears with a cuppa and cake ;-). Enjoy!

Lanzalover

« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2018, 08:12:23 AM »

On our way home today  :'(  just waiting for the coach to go to the airport.

We have had a lovely week and DGD has been a joy.

Hope the ☀️ follows us home.

Lanzalover x

CLKD

« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2018, 01:42:22 PM »

I hope that the sun follows you too  ::)
Had to add a layer this morning - extra jumper although it's 13 in our car
Nowt of note planned - yet
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 30