Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Causes of low estrogen?  (Read 1414 times)

4meSons

Causes of low estrogen?
« on: December 01, 2017, 11:31:35 AM »

I have been flicking through a book about menopause and came across something interesting about the effect of antidepressants and statins. Apparently taking these can lower estrogel levels. I have taken statins and I'm currently on antidepressants so this could be what has been causing my symptoms. If thus is the case does this mean I need to take a higher amount of gel to counteract this  :-\

wombat62

Re: Causes of low estrogen?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 10:20:20 PM »

Hi

I don't know anything about this but I have read that stress etc can lower oestrogen levels, the body makes up for it by producing more adrenaline and those sorts of hormones and increasing stomach fat (this contains oestrogen cells), bit of a grotty catch 22 cycle! It wouldn't surprise me if taking other medicines would have an effect on oestrogen levels as I think all those hormones are closely linked.

It's a time when we need to look after ourselves and be pampered by others.....if only.... :)

Hopefully someone else will be along soon to help!

Take care!

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 10:13:11 AM »

Hello 4meSons.

What you have read is very interesting and relevant as many of us are prescribed ADs along with HRT so this could impact lots of women. Perhaps you could post more details of where you read this as I'm sure the science minded ladies on the forum would like to know more.

Take care.

K.

4meSons

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 07:51:21 PM »

Hi I read it in a book called
Mastering menopause by Emine Cay Masters, M.D., FACOG.
I got it free on my kindle and found it quite easy to read. She states that ADs increase the pituitary glands secretion of prolactin and elevated prolactin levels supress ovarian function resulting in low estrogen levels. I find it all very intriguing and I'm sure I read something else about this but can't recall where at the moment. X

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 09:35:36 PM »

Hello 4meSons.

That's very interesting, thank you for that information. So many of us are prescribed ADs and HRT but if the anti depressants are lowering oestrogen that is a problem that needs to be addressed.

Take care.

K.

racjen

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 03:33:47 PM »

There are a lot of different types of AD out there - I wonder if this applies to all of them or just the more modern ones (ie SSRIs)?

4meSons

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 07:43:10 PM »

I don't know, but a very interesting question. I wonder if anyone has anymore knowledge on this x