Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Unexpected effect of weight loss  (Read 1958 times)

Scampi

Unexpected effect of weight loss
« on: November 22, 2017, 02:50:59 PM »

I have lost 5 stone in the last 13 months (3 stone to go!) and discovered something I never knew (or expected) .... I had fat knuckles!!!  I expected to lose some 'chunk' from my fingers, but my wedding ring was snug over my knuckle so I thought it would be fine.  But this morning it actually slid off when I was drying my hands!  I'm worried about losing it, so I've been out and bought a substitute that fits snuggly - my wedding ring will go safely in my jewellery box.  When I reach my final target weight, hubby and I will choose a 'proper' new one.

Call me weird, but I'm laughing inside at the thought of fat knuckles!  ;D ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Unexpected effect of weight loss
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 03:45:35 PM »

Every cloud don't they say ........

You can of course get your new ring 'blessed' - I have had 2 since 1975 and eventually amalgamated both .  The 1st cracked because I would drive along, singing loudly and tapping the beat on the steering wheel  ::), then the next one became a little small so I took both to a jeweller who works in-house so that nothing goes in the post anywhere else.

Well done on the loss.  How do you feel, do I hear a new set of clothing for the New Year  ;):tulips2:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 05:34:39 PM by CLKD »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 04:10:42 PM »

Scampi - just want to send my congratulations - you must be so pleased your weight loss is going so well. I love your ‘knuckles' story - great excuse to buy a lovely new ring. DG x

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 07:56:39 AM »

Congratulations! My engagement ring fell off after losing 11/2 stones. You've reminded me that I ought to go and get it reduced in size so I can wear it again. We have a full length mirror in our hall and I still get a pleasant surprise that clothes look so much better and that I can wear clothes that I wouldn't have considered before.

Scampi

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 09:09:37 AM »

Thank you girls - I'm feeling great!  I've gone down almost 4 dress sizes, and actually started running  ;D

CLKD - my wedding ring isn't blessed (we had a registry office ceremony, and I'm Pagan anyway), so I'd be just as happy with a new one!  I'll keep the original safely - it obviously has sentimental value, and I can pop it on every now and then to see the difference in my fingers (a bit like the pair of 'fat' jeans I've kept that I step into for a laugh!).

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 03:26:08 PM »

Well done Scampi.  Do you go to a group or are you doing it by yourself?

Scampi

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 08:26:06 AM »

I go to a group - I love it!  The group and consultant are fantastic and I couldn't do it without them.  I will carry on going even when I reach target - it's like a social club  :)

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 04:48:28 PM »

Hello Scampi.

Well done on your success. Have you noticed any changes in your menopause symptoms since losing weight ( I understand that fat cells can produce hormones so losing these may have an impact, good or bad ).
By the way ages ago  I needed to remove my wedding ring for an MRI scan and never bothered to put it back on!

Take care.

K.

Scampi

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 08:03:17 AM »

Hi Kathleen

I have to admit that only symptom that really bothered me was very heavy, unpredictable periods, and a Mirena coil sorted those out (stopped periods completely - best thing I ever had!).  So I don't know if losing the weight has affected symptoms. 

I am feeling better all round - I'm sleeping better, moving better, feeling generally 'Tigger' instead of 'Eeyore'  ;D ;D

Kathleen

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 11:38:55 AM »

Hello Scampi.

Well that's all good to hear. Keep up the good work.

Take care.

K.