Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: After some period advice in peri  (Read 3911 times)

Charys

After some period advice in peri
« on: November 21, 2017, 10:06:22 AM »

Hi there, I'm definitely in peri.....no hormone levels taken, but GP agrees that my pattern over the last year or so indicates that I am. Periods over a year and a half have been erratic, a longer cycle, a shorter cycle, one month heavy bleeding for 3 days then stop, one month light bleeding for 9 days, I've had all sorts of combinations of everything. This month however is stressing me most, my period started as expected on day 26. Then it stopped for a day, then it began again for a day, then stopped a day. This has gone on now for 13 days, with it getting lighter and lighter all the time and down to barely a spot a day, but not quite stopping yet. I had one like this earlier in the summer, which went on 10 days but this seems different again. Is this something others have experienced? Will it stop eventually ? Just after some reassurance really and to hear from anyone else who has experienced similar or has some thoughts. With gratitude, thanks x

Charys

Re: After some period advice in peri
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 10:27:00 AM »

So, today, out of the blue again....shortly after writing I had another slightly heavier bleed, after 2 days with nothing. There is no logic to this, and it's really getting me so upset and worried.

elsie001

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 11:02:49 AM »

Hi Charys, sounds pretty standard for peri I'm afraid.  I resorted to tranexamic tablets when the bleeding got too inconvenient - these stop bleeding, but only while you take them.  A lot of women take them to delay periods for various reasons too.

My periods were horrendously heavy with clotting and flooding which severely impacted on life, so I opted for the mirena coil in the end.  My periods became lighter immediately and completely stopped after 6 months.

You have my sympathy - horrible getting no respite from it.

Charys

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 11:06:40 AM »

Elsie thanks so much for reply. Im in a bit of a state this morning (my peri went into over drive after treatment for breast cancer last year), as you might be able to tell. If you dont mind me asking, what was the longest you bled for ?

Charys

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 01:13:05 PM »

anyone else....period started up with vengeance on day 12?

Charys

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 02:06:49 PM »

Yeah, the 'now you see it now you dont' sums it up LOL !!! Thanks. It just all feels so confusing.

Snoooze

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 03:55:07 PM »

Hi Charys,
Try searching old threads using the search box but make sure you're on the home page when you search.
I found this one for you.
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,21028.msg311997.html#msg311997

Charys

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 04:26:29 PM »

Thanks Snooze, just done some searches now. I think this is a new period, rather than a continuation of the one 14 days ago. I guess any combination of anything is possible ? Ive never felt so frightened, and I dont even really know why.

Snoooze

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 05:08:46 PM »

Try not to worry too much over the changing periods. It is all part and parcel of meno.

Sparkle is correct, yet another symptom. My anxiety increased ten fold in peri. It's easing off slightly now but I don't get too carried away thinking I've turned a corner as no doubt my hormones will go off kilter again!

Now you have joined the forum, hopefully it will ease your mind. I find whatever symptom I currently have if I look it up on here, it's always reassuring to see other ladies have experienced the same and it calms me.

Charys

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 05:15:34 PM »

Thanks Snooze, for your kindness. It really does help knowing other women are out there who have been through, or are going through the same. This feels so hard, and I cant have HRT (despite being told I would more than likely need it in later life, as had a hormonal postnatal psychosis AND taken off tamoxifen due to health and mental health changes). I've read through a lot of threads now, and can see so many people have struggled with so much. Just scared it won't stop and I'll like bleed to death or something....it sounds dramatic I know....Im aware of how dumb I sound ::) ;D

Snoooze

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 10:31:53 PM »

I have terrible health anxiety Charys so that doesn't sound dumb at all. It's easy for your mind to go to the worst when you have anxiety but please rest assured you'll be OK with the bleeding but it wouldn't harm to talk to your GP about it so he can reassure you. x

Charys

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 10:10:13 AM »

You two have both made me a shed a tear this morning, so lovely to log on and see some positive reassuring comments.  :)

Charys

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 01:23:57 PM »

Mind, I guess the 'shedding a tear' (gushing more like) is peri too lol

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 03:54:53 PM »

Hi Charys

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your symptoms, bleeding and also that you had breast cancer - and I presume you are in remission now? I guess as you have been told you cannot have HRT, that your cancer was oestrogen positive? If so then you do have my sympathies but all is not lost.

There are treatments for the bleeding as others have said eg Mirena coil and also there are other prescribable alternatives that can help with flushes - mainly anti-depressants which you can take for this even if you are not depressed. There is a paper published recently which focuses on which treatments work best with specific reference to women in your position who cannot take HRT due to breast cancer.

Here it is:
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2053369117711646?hootPostID=6690d93930a10b86869c48433ab506e7&

Also there is an article on peri-menopause in this website which you might like to read too:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/magazine/pdf/Article%20-%20Perils%20of%20the%20Perimenopause.pdf

I wept buckets in peri- the slightest thing would set me off! I rarely cry nowadays now I'm old(er!) and jaded and hormones are stable!

Hope you manage to find a treatment to help...

Hurdity x

Charys

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 04:30:05 PM »

Thank you so much Hurdity, I will read those links very shortly. The 'all is not lost' is very encouraging, as in my pathetic state it feels it right now. lol

Diagnosed Stage 1, with no lymph node involvement, oestrogen receptive BC in March 2016, first yearly mammo all clear and had my second consultant meeting only this week.....no problems they could detect.  :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 04:34:06 PM by Charys »