Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Increase in blood pressure  (Read 3235 times)

Lady Daviot

Increase in blood pressure
« on: November 20, 2017, 09:59:09 PM »

Hi Ladies,

Over the last 6 months I have noticed that my BP gets quite high from time to time (  I have home cuff monitor for hubby ) and I wondered if the peri menopause contributes towards this? I have tired to cut back on alcohol, I am fairly active, drink loads of water ( especially for the flushes ) but sometimes I have recorded days of 167/110 - Scary. I had a monitor on for 24hr but nurse said all fine. I could lose some weight ( about 2 stone over ) and do have stressful FT job but the high BP is also when resting. Might have to go and get checked again. Is there an ideal BP for a women around 48 years old?.

Taz2

Re: Increase in blood pressure
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 10:50:52 PM »

A reading of 167/110 is very high. I did read somewhere that it is thought people whose blood pressure "spikes" in this way are more at risk than people with a steady high reading but opinions vary on this. You may need a three day monitor rather than just a 24 hour one. This is the chart from Blood Pressure UK - a site my doctor directed me towards - http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/BloodPressureandyou/Thebasics/Bloodpressurechart

It might be best to get it checked out.

Taz x  :hug:

Lady Daviot

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 10:57:44 PM »

Thanks Taz2, I will do asap.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 11:29:32 PM »

I managed to get mine down by increasing my walking - sadly I've lapsed now though - just a thirty minute brisk walk a day seemed to do the trick. I also cut down on salt - including the hidden salt in different foods - so maybe try that too if you haven't already.

Taz x

Lady Daviot

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 11:44:55 PM »

Thanks again Taz2, I have terrible HA so this monitor has been my little go too. I am going to call duty GP in the morning as I have felt sick as well but have also put that down to a cold I have had the last week or so. I stopped taking Beechams hot drink for cold as read that it can increase BP. Coupled with my hot flushes not sure if these are peri or virus symptoms, lol. It has be useful to get some prospective on this. Cheers. X

Lady Daviot

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 02:22:30 AM »

Hi Ladies, not sure if anybody awake? I have slept a little but waken quite a lot and checked my BP over the last hour and readings at high least 187 over 114, feel worried but don't want to be a drama queen and call 111, woke DH  who says drink water and try and sleep. Must be after the insurance money. I will call GP first thing but should I check in with 111 as they can be over cautious as I don't want an ambulance racing to the house and wakening up my 8 year old, but nor do I want to be stupid if you guys think I should call?. I do suffer from HA so hence why I ask about this?

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 06:35:13 AM »

Sorry not to have been awake. Not sure what you decided but let us know how you are. Is your monitor one of the approved ones as some of them are inaccurate?

Tax x

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 09:11:00 AM »

Hello Lady Daviot.

I just wanted to add that cuff monitors are pretty unreliable and there is a large margin of error when using them. My friend's husband was told to abandon his and only use an arm monitor, he has a long standing heart condition so the eighty pounds price tag didn't put him off!  I can understand your concern but a more accurate reading may allay your fears.

Wishing you well and keep us posted.

K.

Lady Daviot

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 10:04:52 AM »

Hi Ladies, thanks it is a arm monitor and I tried to get some sleep last night but only managed a little. Awaiting a call back from the duty doctor as I should be at work but stayed back as I have a banging headache as well as the pins and needles in legs and arms (which is probably stress ). BP still showing around 165/98. Will keep you posted and thank you for your reply.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 04:05:57 PM »

You need to take your BP at the same time every day for 7 days - B4 eating is best.  Himself takes his B4 breakfast.

However, I don't measure on his machine, according to it I'm dead already  ::).  Our surgery have a BP cuff for personal use.  Also, BP taken in the surgery can often spike higher!

Lady Daviot

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 06:55:19 PM »

Thanks CKLD, I had a long chat with lady from Blood Pressure UK who is emailing me a list of do's/don't etc. I just need to stress less.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 07:07:27 PM »

Don't we all.  I did find that deep breathing helped.  As does rescue remedy mouth spray.

You can share the hints and ideas if you like ;-)