Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: VA treatment when 'in care' ?  (Read 2635 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
VA treatment when 'in care' ?
« on: October 25, 2017, 03:35:46 PM »

In bed.  Last night.  Inserting my tube of Ovestin - and got to wondering how ladies who have been treated for years, fair when 'in care'? 

Does any one know if there is a system in place so that this treatment continues in order to keep ladies who may be confused, comfy.?  Would this been considered abuse if a Nurse inserted the treatment?

How to explain to a lady with dementia that this is 'to ease your symptoms' ......    -   would it be possible to give her a low dose of daily pain relief plus anti-biotic instead?

I think I need to have another SOS bracelet which states that VA treatment is to continue    :-\  when I am no longer able to DIY.

islaysmiler

Re: VA treatment when 'in care' ?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 04:40:16 PM »

Hi,

If the treatment is prescribed then it can certainly be given by a nurse, and could be included in a care plan. The difficulty might be if someone was very confused - but nurses do manage to deliver intimate personal care in such situations. There might be a way to include it as a wish in an advance directive (used to be called a living will) which is a legal document in which you make an advance decision to refuse certain types of care if you become mentally incapacitated - you cannot use these documents to insist on a particular treatment in those circumstances, but you can express a desire for a certain type of treatment and those looking after you are obliged to take your wishes into consideration. That might seem a bit OTT though but hope it helps!

Islaysmiler

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 04:48:02 PM »

Thanks islaysmiler - gosh CLKD the thought hadn't even occurred to me - I dont look that far ahead. I wonder if it becomes less of an issue (in the grand scheme of things) once one reaches that age/stage ie other health problems loom much larger psychologically and physically?

Hurdity x

Maryjane

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 05:40:39 PM »

CLKD I have mentioned this in your GP post without realising this is here , it is my biggest fear VA and care , I NO it's brushed aside / not serious enough in nursing homes.

My daughters will be my voice of that I have been assured , but I have opinions for end of life and it's not propped up in a chair all day with a burning / splitting vulva , bladder infections are so common in care homes especially amongst women almost the norm. My children are adamant I won't go into a home , but it's not there job , but they are adamant it is.

I went for counselling yesterday first time ever , and one of my biggest worries is this problem VA and old age , and TBH the talk I went to in June with “ experts “ my mind to the attitude towards VA was not put at ease. 

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 09:39:20 PM »

It is probably why many of our ladies in 'care' homes sit, why many need sedation - because they are still suffering!?!  Agitated due to being uncomfortable down there, can you IMAGINE  :'(

Why should dementia take away symptoms of any conditions that we are prone to, either male or female  :-\  :sigh:

Having interacted with OAPs in Care Homes through out the 1990s, I had a sudden image last night of ladies: sitting, moaning gently ........ and had a sudden lurch of guilt and 'OH NO! bet no-one has considered continuing with treatment'.

Maryjane - I saw your comment - islaysmiler -  :thankyou:.  I will be getting another SOS bracelet with my wishes written in  ;).  Or tattooed on my belly with an arrow "Treatment required down there" ........

Maryjane

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 05:50:46 AM »

CLKD tattoo that made me  :rofl:

symptoms don't go they get worse , it's the one area of menopause they no does not get better , local oestrogen is keeping it tame stop it and the lion will roar. 😪

Ladies vaginas close up completely, and vagifem can't get in so the regime needs to be kept going .....BTW it's more common than is realised.

Plus a vast majority of ladies are imcontinent, issues urine soaked pads against the skin 😪.

The government etc say how we are living longer etc, GPs saying cant have HRT for whatever reasons due to potential side effects , but when at the other end care is not the best and ladies especially suffer in there nether regions. Things of nightmares.😔
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 05:58:10 AM by Maryjane »

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 12:09:44 PM »

Glad you got a giggle ............ it would be brave as I don't believe in tattoos  ::) .........

So another Crusade Girls?

Suzi Q

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 01:55:11 AM »

Hi,

If the treatment is prescribed then it can certainly be given by a nurse, and could be included in a care plan. The difficulty might be if someone was very confused - but nurses do manage to deliver intimate personal care in such situations. There might be a way to include it as a wish in an advance directive (used to be called a living will) which is a legal document in which you make an advance decision to refuse certain types of care if you become mentally incapacitated - you cannot use these documents to insist on a particular treatment in those circumstances, but you can express a desire for a certain type of treatment and those looking after you are obliged to take your wishes into consideration. That might seem a bit OTT though but hope it helps!

Islaysmiler

You clever s.d i have thought about that to 😍

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 03:34:59 PM »

>wave< Suzi Q

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 07:49:12 PM »

The stress on preventing health problems in the first place is really being pushed these days. They want us to take more responsibility for our lifestyle choices and GPs are encouraged to put us on statins and blood pressure pills to prevent long term health problems. UTIs are very common as women age and local oestrogen can be very effective for preventing problems.
 If GPs were encouraged to help women to take better care of their urogenital health, perhaps this would prevent the overuse of ABs for preventable infections - this should start from an early stage in our lives before menopause hits.
If every practise had a nurse trained to advice women on urogenital health and this is routinely covered in the health checks - this would be great. Local oestrogen should be prescribed routinely as a preventative to any women wishing to prevent long term problems - maybe then it would be routinely given in care homes.
Maybe there could be oestrogen ‘intimate wipes' to make application simpler, less intrusive and embarrassing.
How many women out there are suffering unnecessarily????
DG x

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 08:09:31 PM »

That's my worry DG.  How would we get oestrogen wipes suggested ............ Dr Currie as a starting point?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 10:23:30 PM »

Hopefully at some stage the medical profession as whole will wake up to the benefits of local oestrogen.  A variety of easier ways to use local oestrogen need to be invented - pharmaceutical companies are missing trick :-\ ::) :-X. DG x

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2017, 12:31:51 PM »

Yep.