Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Burning Mouth Syndrome  (Read 30669 times)

knorman

Re: Burning Mouth Syndrome
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2018, 07:20:28 AM »

Welcome pamabz!

I read the same article when I was researching my BMS and I know I have the herpes virus from having cold sores.  I didn't mention it to my consultant as he did such an amazing job of reassuring me that all would be well.  Apart from sorting out my head! he advised to take zinc tablets as they sometimes help this condition.  I tested for zinc and although in the normal range, I was right at the bottom of the range and have been taking it ever since.  Will have blood test again once used all zinc tablets to see if I have absorbed it. My mouth and tongue is so much better (still not back to normal, but manageable) and whether it is down to zinc and/or the fact that he managed to calm my extreme anxiety (which of course does not help any situation!) I do not know, but anything is worth a try. Especially Opal Fruits! x

Maryjane, my friends FitBit went off at 05.45 (I had sent her an email....) and woke her up!  I wouldn't have sent it, but I didn't think they were supposed to go off until a certain time in the morning, so that has put me off again.  Thank you for trying both, maybe I will attempt it one day! x

Daisydot

« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2018, 07:32:13 AM »

Hi knorman just turn off your notifications and that won't happen.
So glad to hear your tongues easing up it's the most horrible thing to suffer from I originally thought it was my cut tongue causing it all and doctors were no bloody help at all.Theres a massive difference in my tongue now and I'm going to drop the oestrogel down to one pump alternate days now and see if I can cope with that.stellajane does that so as to be on minimum possible dose so I think that's a good idea and well worth trying rather than just stopping as I don't want the sweats back.good luck xx

knorman

« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2018, 07:53:10 AM »

That is very good news to hear that your tongue is much better.  This is a very distressing disorder isn't it?  My night heats have disappeared for the odd few nights here and there, with the evening ones disappearing completely, so hopefully maybe things are on the wane. I have had them every night and evening for last two years, with no let up, (they were sporadic for two years before that) most women's seem to come and go, not be a constant. I've still got all my HRT upstairs, including the gel, which was going to be my next attempt. Oh I miss it so much!

I thought I managed to turn off all my notifications (I have to take scheduled rests during the day for CFS/ME), but I still get 'buzzed' when I am resting. Probably me, useless with techy things, even though I used to have quite a techy job.  Enjoy your weekend girls! x

pamabz

« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2018, 09:45:37 AM »

Morning Knorman and Daisydot
Thank you so much for your encouraging words of wisdom and I'm delighted to hear you are both feeling so much better! That gives me hope!
I read about the zinc connection too so I'm going to give that a go.
Would you be kind enough to let me know how long you had the bad symtoms before they started improving?
I also totally agree with the whole anxiety and stressing thing, it definitely makes all the ailments worse so I try my best to switch off to everything when I can but The bad days do creep in now and again.
Thanks again for replying to me, your support is very much appreciated!
Have a great day in the sunshine ☀️💕 x

AnnieR66

« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2018, 05:41:27 PM »

Hi Pamabz,
I am on the evorel 50 with separate utrogestan, I'm sorry I can't quite remember how long before my tongue felt better but it certainly does and I have been on hrt a year. I also take ranitidine and a probiotic every day. I remember when my tongue was unbearable I used to sprinkle a bit of sugar on it just to get some temporary relief!!
Stick with the patches and hopefully you will see a difference.
Annie x

Lucyjo

« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2018, 07:44:16 PM »

I have been taking duloxetine 60mg instead of citalopram & amitriptyline, and my bms does seem somewhat better.
Still there but not so bad as it was.
Still suffering with awful va - going to ask for hrt again!
Tried most other treatments.
If anyone can suggest what hrt I need.
Also, will my periods start again ( last one in Feb.)
Thanks x

Daisydot

« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2018, 06:37:35 AM »

Morning Lucyjo.Looks like you need some vagifem pessaries to help with the v.a you'll do a two week load ,which means one pessarie nightly for two weeks,then you'll reduce to two or three weekly and this is for life it doesn't get any better it just gets manageable.
My bms and sore tongue is now 99% improved.I reduced the oestrogel to alternate days, one squirt,and same with the vagifem I've reduced to twice weekly instead of every night and I'm definately seeing an improvement in the breast pain and mouth problems.
I understand that everyone experiences different side effects with meds of any description,my sister is a pharmacist and is always a good source of information for me even though she's retired now.
I need to go stock up my opal fruits today and I'm going to see if I can find spangles too lol.xx

knorman

« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2018, 07:10:48 AM »

Morning All

Another sunny day, trying for a day visiting open gardens in a village near us. Love nosing rounds peoples gardens and helps ward off the old anxiety!

Pamabz, a quick (!) run down of what happened.  Started HRT last November. Bliss. 3.5 weeks in started getting a burning tongue and lips, with a lot of tingling, mouth also felt very dry (which is when I turned to this forum, thank you all).  Stopped the HRT, symptoms started to go and then about every six days, I would 'do' something that would set it off again, things that hadn't been a problem before the HRT, such as taking my Vit C powder. The anxiety then kicked in and my mouth became drier and drier and then the roof of my mouth started to sting badly. HRT well out of my system by now (evening and night heats returned with a vengeance). Saw my dentist who said mouth extremely dry. Decided to stop taking Amitriptyline 20mg (and the odd sleeping tablet) and two days later I could feel the saliva glands under my tongue producing saliva.  One very happy girl. Two days later, something started it all off again and I went downhill rapidly from there.  Throat started to burn, roof of mouth stinging, my tongue felt as if there were 'hairs' standing up on it when I tried to speak and started to have near panic attacks (again, much help received through this forum, practically and emotionally).Referred to maxillofacial surgeon by Dr, but my appointment didn't come through. I went private in the end as it felt as if I was heading for a nervous breakdown.  Max Fax consultant sorted my head, he completely understood menopausal women as well, which in turn helped my mouth as the anxiety lessened. I knew the anxiety was making it much worse, but until I spoke with someone medical to help with all the issues I had, I had nothing left in the tank to help myself mentally. When mouth was at its driest, I used Oxylimelts, which helped stimulate saliva and helped control the panic.  It does seem that it is the sugary things that have been helping everyone, it does stimulate that saliva! 8 months later, much, much improved, but I have been left with my brain 'thinking' my mouth is dry, which Max Fax says will go eventually, but I always tell myself that my saliva glands ARE now working and my mouth, although not normal yet, feels so much better and I can cope. There was much more to it than this, but it is a long post already for you to read, but I hope there are things you can pick out that will help. If possible, I would see if your Dr will refer you to Max Fax consultant, I wouldn't be as well as I am now without his help.  I did go private (even though funds are very tight, best money I ever spent) and I did manage to pick the very best one for me.  He was fantastic, kind, wise, with a great sense of humour, which helped tremendously. I went out the other evening and realised I hadn't taken the oxylimelts with me.  I never use them now, but take them out for reassurance, so I think this says a lot! Sorry for long post and please, no one be put off HRT by my post, it appears my system is sensitive to medication at the moment because of CFS/ME.  I would take it like a shot if I could. Lucyjo, there are some extremely knowledgeable women on here regarding HRT (hello Hurdity), but your Dr should be best placed to help you initially and then the forum is excellent for any subsequent HRT issues.  Good luck! x

knorman

« Reply #98 on: July 01, 2018, 07:13:43 AM »

Daisydot, imagine what tangy Haribo would do! xxx

Daisydot

« Reply #99 on: July 01, 2018, 07:26:10 AM »

Don't knorman it's making me giggle at the thought of me speaking like a ten year old girl lol I love those adverts.
Great post knorman xx

pamabz

« Reply #100 on: July 02, 2018, 12:27:38 PM »

Hello AnnieR, Knorman and Daisydot,
Thank you so much for your posts over the weekend, they certainly made me feel calmer about the whole BMS pain so I'm very grateful.  You wonderful, kind ladies have helped me with my anxiety far more than some of the medical field I have gone to see so thank you  :-*
AnnieR - thank you for replying to my message, I will certainly keep going with the HRT patches, I'm only a week in and on half doses so I guess I need to be patient (a word I'm becoming more used to but still not very going at carrying out! lol) but I do hope that the patches will help my BMS and hopefully it will go eventually.
Knorman - I totally agree with Daisydot, that was a very helpful and hope inspiring message you wrote, thank you to you all for taking the time to share your stories, and more importantly handy tips!, with me and the rest of the forum.  I'm glad MaxFac helped you Knorman, I was actually at a MaxFac Consultant last week.  Unfortunately, I can't say I had the same success with the gent I went to see, he was helpful to the point that he could confirm there was nothing sinister in my brain MRI (the Neurologist had already confirmed the same thing to me a month earlier) but as for the pins and needles in my chin, and the BMS, he couldn't really advise why I was experiencing this or what to do to help, so was a bit deflated with him.
However, I also went to see a Menopause GP and she was wonderful, putting my mind at rest and reassuring me that what I was going through is mostly Menopause related.  Since meeting with her, that has helped my mindset so much and my anxiety, although still quite high, has reduced to a level that I can function with. 
I totally agree with you Knorman, anxiety and stress makes the pain a lot worse, so I'm trying to control that as best I can.  Just one quick query if I may, I noticed you had been on Amiltriptyline and I'm also on it, 20 mg daily to try and block the pins and needles sensation in my face however 4 weeks on and no change to the sensation as yet (I believe it can take 6 - 8 weeks for the tablets to work but I did think I would notice some difference by now).  However what the tablets are doing is giving me a dry mouth!  Do you think the Amiltriptyline adds to the BMS, or there's no connection?  I did get BMS before going on the Amiltriptyline so it wasn't the cause but I'm just wondering if it's adding to it?
Thanks again ladies and I hope you are having a good day.
Take care.
Pamela x

knorman

« Reply #101 on: July 03, 2018, 05:21:35 AM »

Morning pamabz

I am very pleased to hear that the people you have visited have helped put some fears to rest and therefore lessened the anxiety. When the max fax signed me off, he did say that I would still continue to have some strange sensations orally (they will go eventually) and I don't get pins and needles as such, but the area around my mouth still 'tingles' sometimes.
I have been able to ignore all sensations now, even though I still notice them, as I know that none of it is permanent, it will go away eventually. Being lucky enough to have the right people to help us at this time of life makes all the difference and most surgeons are very matter of fact, they are probably not going to take the time with the anxiety, if indeed they even notice it, or the menopause! However, knowing there is nothing medically wrong and it is our stupid hormones, does help. It sounds like your Menopause GP did the same for you as Max Fax did for me, completely changed my mind-set and helped me cope. This forum has helped me tremendously and I am so pleased it is helping you too. I had a very kind lady 'virtually' holding my hand warding off panic attacks.

The amitriptyline. Yep, it added to the problem when I first developed the problems with the HRT (problems it seems unique to me, so keep taking that HRT!). It is well known for causing a dry mouth and from what I researched, a dry mouth can also cause stinging and burning in the mouth, so yes, it may well be adding. When I stopped taking it (I had taken it for 10 years with no problem), two nights later, in bed, I felt the glands under my tongue produce saliva. Such a relief! I hadn't realised previously how a dry mouth could cause such discomfort, other than just feeling dry. So if they are not having the desired effect, speak to your Dr about coming off them. I went cold turkey as it was such a low dose (75g is start of antidepressant use I think) and I do miss it, as it used to help me relax into sleep and now I am quite convinced it probably kept low level anxiety at bay as well. However, Max Fax consultant also told me to avoid the amitriptyline, so that in itself probably tells you all you need to know! And your HRT should kick in soon, lucky girl!

Daisydot, I love the Haribo adverts, they are sheer genius!

Hope you all have a great day xxx

P.S The melts are called Xylimelts, no idea why I shoved an 'O' in the front of it. Brain burp!

pamabz

« Reply #102 on: July 03, 2018, 12:18:14 PM »

Hello Knorman,
Thank you, once again, for all your advice and insight into what is a crazy rollercoaster ride for so many of us going through the various menopause symptoms.  As you say this forum is a godsend, just reading everyone's posts has made me realise I'm not going off my head (despite thinking that about myself a few times over the past 6 months) and that there is a genuine reason for going a bit loony tunes now and again  ;D
Yes, the Menopause GP gave me the hope I was looking for as my own GP is convinced what I'm experiencing is not the menopause.  I've got an appointment with him in 3 weeks time so that will be an interesting conversation!  By then I will have been on the Amiltriptyline for 7 weeks, they've worked wonders for my sleep (best night's sleep I've had in ages) but if they are not helping with the pins and needles then I will probably taper off them.
I'm so sorry you can't enjoy the benefits of HRT, I do feel it is beginning to help me, that and the fact that my anxiety has lessened. My panic attacks were horrendous for a while but I'm hoping I'm passed the worst of them and I can enjoy my life once again, I think that's all everyone really wants on this forum, to get their lives back and feel normal again.  I've forgotten what that feels like but I do hope to get back to that head space in the near future  :)
I hope you are having a lovely day and feeling well, best wishes to you.
Pamela xx

knorman

« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2018, 07:15:16 AM »

It sounds like you are making great progress and very pleased the HRT is starting to make a difference to you. I noticed huge changes in 3 weeks and was looking forward to how I was going to feel in 3 months!

Hmmm..... normal...... now, what was that again?!

Enjoy the day xx

pamabz

« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2018, 07:34:01 AM »

Hello Knorman
I knew I would speak too soon 😕 having a bad day today. Zero sleep last night despite taking 20mg amiltriptyline a couple of hours before heading to bed. My mouth is so painful today, and my burning through my body is back as well. This is going to be a tough day. My mouth is painfully dry and I'm hoarse again. I'm going to cut back down to 10mg Amiltriptyline as I feel it's making my mouth worse, I just hope the HRT is not the issue as well but I can't tell 😕 sorry to be a misery, I'm just struggling today. Hope your having a better day xx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10