Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dealing with health and general anxiety  (Read 7168 times)

rebel2

Dealing with health and general anxiety
« on: October 23, 2017, 10:12:53 AM »

Those of you who have read my posts know that I am a serial health anxiety sufferer.  I say 'serial' as when one issue dies away, another pops up to replace it and the cycle continues.

Currently I have a funny thing going on under my left rib - trapped wind or something, not there when I'm busy or distracted and today, not there first thing.  Appeared after a run when I took phone call while walking fast.  Not going to dwell on it - just trying to move on.

My reason for posting is mainly to 'self-help'.  I have sertraline but haven't taken them yet as am too scared of side effects and don't want to rely on them when I know that the problem is in my mind.  So today I started with a five minute yoga app, had a run [pretty crap as have cough so out of breath quickly] and am going to try meditation app later.  Now am going to immerse myself in work [I work partly from home and partly out running courses - it is the at home bit that is an issue as I dwell too much on my health/feelings/mind].  Then I am going to report back on here every day for seven days in an effort to help myself out of this.   Hope you don't mind - it won't matter to me if nobody reads this, I just wanted somewhere to come where I could record my feelings and maybe get some support.

If I am still feeling crap after seven days, then I'm going the sertraline route.  Wish me luck!  Out of 10 today I feel about 6 - which is great as yesterday was more like 4. 

rebel2

Re: Dealing with health and general anxiety
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 10:54:57 AM »

Loud music while making soup - Wham does it for me every time.   Not too bad so far - bad back that I'm hoping is muscular but have had it nearly every day...   But be still that naughty thought!

rebel2

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 12:25:00 PM »

Thanks Hope - I'm full of aches and pains around the back/shoulders/neck area and think it is because of tensing muscles for so long.  Am going to book a massage!

Justjules

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 08:51:53 PM »

Hi Rebel2. Another member of the club here too.... good idea Rebel. Post away. I would say that if you're not depressed don't go down the Sertraline route. Try everything natural first, yoga, relaxation etc.

You have my sympathy. It takes over your life and is so hard to live with.  :( x

wombat62

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 10:10:21 PM »

Hi there

A couple of years back for a few months I had a twitching lower left ribs, it would come and go but after it twitched for 48 hours I took myself to the docs. I thought initially it was stress but when it twitched for the 48 hours on a relaxing trip guessed it wasn't that! They did an ultrasound and couldn't find anything in the area, although they did find a massive gallstone as they scanned the whole torso. Doc just put it down to maybe something going on with the intercostal muscles that weave in and out of your ribs. I know it's not so easy to get scanned in the UK but if it goes on too long might be worth getting it checked out. Also in that lower left hand rib section is the big bend of the large intestine so it could be wind is getting trapped there, plus our guts rule our brains!

Good luck with the self-help, it does sound like once you are distracted then you are a lot better. I know what it's like when you are on your own that our silly minds turn to our health. Hope it works!

rebel2

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 11:09:15 AM »

Thanks for all your replies so far.

Well yesterday went well overall - very little stress/anxiety until very late evening, and I slept very well except for a coughing fit at 3am due to my cold.

Woke up late and stayed in bed till gone 10, then did yoga and exercises - can recommend the yoga app I've got as it is 5 x 1 minute poses [quite hard, but makes you feel you've achieved something] - think it's just called 5 minute yoga.  But feeling under rib has returned - feel sure it is trapped wind so am trying to stop obsessing and do something to take my mind off it - but that's not easy!  Suppose I ought to go to GP if it keeps up, but it does go when I'm not thinking about it.

Feel I will struggle today as have to work at home, OH is ill in bed and weather is pants.  But need to crack this - can't spend the rest of my life avoiding being on my own.

rebel2

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 05:28:38 PM »

Struggling, as I thought.  Stomach churning and back hurting.  Chicken and egg though - which came first, anxiety or physical symptoms?..

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 05:54:05 PM »

Physical - at this time of life.  As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Intercostal pain is dire.  I have seen grown men in tears with it  :-\

Over-the-counter pain relief help at all?  Once the pain begins anxiety can soon kick in.  I am trying to keep mind under control until I've seen the GP next week  :sigh: I keep telling myself that most results are OK!

rebel2

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 06:15:13 PM »

Thanks, much appreciated.   Have had a brief walk and going to try a bath soon.  Am watching the rickshaw challenge children on the one show, very humbling.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 06:38:15 PM »

Oh missed that - got a bit fed-up with The 1 Show. 

Be kinder to yourself?

rebel2

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 07:16:46 PM »

Never been any good at that!   But will try.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 07:28:05 PM »

It's hard to make new habits  ::).  When watching TV can you concentrate or does your mind wander?

rebel2

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017, 10:57:42 AM »

Another day.   Got up pretty much after waking and walked the dog - quick walk but it got me up and moving.  Then back to bed for a bit before a run.  I used to be able to do 5k fairly easily but have slipped back over the past 6 months so gone back to the couch to 5k podcasts to get my stamina back up.  Had stabbing pains under ribs after 10 minutes but ran on, now just have low level stomach ache.

Will do my 5 yoga poses but think they have caused all my stomach/neck/back muscles to seize up so I perhaps need something gentler!  Will look for one and post back, in case anybody wants to give it a try.

Determined to carry on with this non AD regime all week.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 03:51:37 PM »

You are probably doing too much exercise.  It's probably stitch!!! or a slightly pulled intercostal muscle.  Which will take a while to 'heal'. 

Maybe take the dog out more often and stop the running? 

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 12:11:05 PM »

In the 1970s I worked with a Consultant who recommended 'yoga' ........ a man B4 his time ;-)
Pages: [1] 2 3