Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hot Flushes 3 Years After Menopause Started  (Read 3836 times)

Lynne888

Hot Flushes 3 Years After Menopause Started
« on: October 15, 2017, 09:30:30 AM »

I've never suffered much with hot flushes. I've had them but they have been mild and nothing like the badass ones some of you mention! Recently though I've started getting flushes quite a lot and they are very unpleasant.  It's 3 years since my last period so it seems odd that the flushes should just start up as bad as they are for no apparent reason.  I had a similar thing last year, quite brief which included tingling hands.  It transpired I had a folic acid deficiency and within days the tablets put the situation right. It all felt like the same thing starting up again and indeed a blood test showed I had a folic acid deficiency again but this time the pills have not even made a dent in any of the symptoms. It says the symptoms should feel better within 24 hours  but 10 days on, things are as bad as ever and if anything the flushes are worse.  I've had a few really bad nights but the flushes can come on anywhere at any time and can be really embarrassing.  They can feel so unpleasant I feel I will faint.  Has anyone else had flushes start well into meno (or get worse?) I'm going out with friends next weekend and I'm utterly dreading it and feel anxious that I will get a bad flush while I'm out. They are impossible to hide!!

Mini1

Re: Hot Flushes 3 Years After Menopause Started
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 10:55:30 AM »

Hi Lynne888

My last period was 3 years ago. I have had hot flushes in this time but nothing major. However over the last 3 months I have had more and more symptoms.....hot and cold flushes day and night, nausea, exhaustion, just feel really unwell.

So, yes, my symptoms have got worse 3 years post menopause x

Butterfly22

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 12:03:44 PM »

I was told I'll get the symptoms till the menopause finishes, it's so confusing as I thought I'm going through the menopause but the doctor said you've been through it and the symptoms will last until your 55/65 different for everyone.
I've got a pink paper fan, it's the only thing I can do to stop looking like I've just got out the shower, I'm past caring what people think as I'd rather fan myself then go bright red and dripping in sweat xxx

Lynne888

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 12:31:22 PM »

Butterfly,  It's not that I'm worried about what people think, I'm worried about passing out in public as it gets that bad.  I know the symptoms go on for years, but I didn't know if they actually started up years after not actually having the symptom in the first place! 

Mini1 you made me feel better saying that you'd had even more symptoms, it makes me feel more normal!

Butterfly22

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 12:56:06 PM »

Oh sorry, have you tried HRT only think that can help mine.

Mini1

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 01:05:01 PM »

Hi again

I feel dreadful at the moment. The flushes are horrendous and the heart palpitations are bad too. I keep thinking that this can't be menopause because I feel so ill. X

Butterfly22

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 01:11:18 PM »

Hi again

I feel dreadful at the moment. The flushes are horrendous and the heart palpitations are bad too. I keep thinking that this can't be menopause because I feel so ill. X

Ah that's awful, do you take HRT xxx

Mini1

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 02:05:27 PM »

Hi Butterfly98
I've been backwards and forwards to my doctors for the last 3 months. They put all my symptoms down to a tooth infection but I still felt awful when the tooth was taken out! So I've been 3 times this week. One GP said go back to Dentist so I did. Next GP wanted blood tests which were all ok. But they won't give me HRT until I've had an ECG. So should hopefully get the prescription for HRT at the end of this week. X

Butterfly22

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 02:20:45 PM »

Oh what a nightmare, it's awful when we no we don't feel right but being told it's not this try that ect.
Have you had a look at the differnent HRT so you can maybe ask for what you prefere xx

Mini1

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 03:01:46 PM »

I'm not sure what to go for...any suggestions? X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 03:05:54 PM »

I started a similar thread 12 months ago and up-dated it yesterday  :-\

Some ladies feel faint immediately B4 a flush; others need the loo in a hurry - HORMONES  >:(

Mini - what did your Dentist suggest?  A low-grade infection which would be seen on appropriate X-ray may respond to long-term anti-biotic therapy. 

Butterfly22

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 03:57:24 PM »

I'm not sure what to go for...any suggestions? X

Well your hot flushes sound bad, I'm really not sure what to suggest as I've been on everyone, a lot of ladies get on with the gel? This can be tailored to suit you xxx

Mini1

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 04:58:54 PM »

Hi CLKD. Dentist gave me 3 lots of antibiotics and then I had tooth extracted. X rays show no infection .

The random symptoms seem to be down to menopause ! X

Lynne888

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2017, 08:28:51 PM »

CLKD... sorry if I nipped in with similar post to yours. I DID scan down the posts to see if I could see anything similar and nothing jumped out.. will have another look. 

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 08:03:04 AM »

I've never suffered much with hot flushes. I've had them but they have been mild and nothing like the badass ones some of you mention! Recently though I've started getting flushes quite a lot and they are very unpleasant.  It's 3 years since my last period so it seems odd that the flushes should just start up as bad as they are for no apparent reason.  I had a similar thing last year, quite brief which included tingling hands.  It transpired I had a folic acid deficiency and within days the tablets put the situation right. It all felt like the same thing starting up again and indeed a blood test showed I had a folic acid deficiency again but this time the pills have not even made a dent in any of the symptoms. It says the symptoms should feel better within 24 hours  but 10 days on, things are as bad as ever and if anything the flushes are worse.  I've had a few really bad nights but the flushes can come on anywhere at any time and can be really embarrassing.  They can feel so unpleasant I feel I will faint.  Has anyone else had flushes start well into meno (or get worse?) I'm going out with friends next weekend and I'm utterly dreading it and feel anxious that I will get a bad flush while I'm out. They are impossible to hide!!

Hi Lynne888 - don't worry no need to apologise - you've done the right thing starting a new thread as this is a new topic and it's yours with specific info about your particular situation so as you can see members are more likely to read it! The other thread was an old one.

In terms of being 3 years post-menopause - women react to falling oestrogen differently. Some unlucky women start to get flushes and sweats even while having regular periods - when hormonal fluctuations start to increase even before peri-menopause! Some women start to get them when periods stop for a few months ( as I did) and then they disappear as periods come back and then re-appear when they stop. Other women ( luckier!) don't start to get symptoms until two or three years post-menopause. What happens is that oestrogen levels continue to fluctuate following the last period but not so much and there is a gradual decline over approx the next 2 years or so. At this point oestrogen levels bottom out approx so some women start to experience symptoms for the first time - as you have, and for some women they get worse, or new symptoms appear ( eg vaginal atrophy etc).

As long as there is no other reason for your sweats ( eg thyroid problems,blood sugar problems etc) and it is not due to folic acid this time, then this is absolutely normal!

Are you able to take HRT as has been suggested? This is the recommended treatment to eliminate these troublesome symptoms and also give you some protection to heart and bones - depending on your age?

Hurdity x
Pages: [1] 2