Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Patch absorption  (Read 1429 times)

donnacrichton

Patch absorption
« on: September 24, 2017, 11:48:54 AM »

Hi Ivery been having problems absorbing estradot have gone from 37.5 to 150mcg. When I apply the patch it feels within about 2 hours that my levels are rising then by 3rd day it feels like it has worn off and need next one. I've been doing it every 3 days but feels like a roller coaster. I changed from buttock to thigh advised by consultant. I have an appointment in 2 weeks to get bloods redone. I'm just wondering if this is the pattern people have had when problems absorbing. I've been keeping a diary and only finding a few hours out of the 3 days I feel ok

Nina

Re: Patch absorption
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 10:11:23 PM »

Hi Donna that's one of the reasons I tried premarin because I felt that I wasn't absorbing estradiol properly

Yammy1

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 06:03:31 AM »

Hi
 I use Estradot too and doc recommended putting it on lower abdomen, changing sides each time maybe try this for a while and see it your absorbing patch any better.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 07:07:27 AM »

When I tried patches I got an initial surge and then it seemed to run low quite quickly. That is why I always used Oestrogel
DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 01:40:48 PM »

Hi donnacrichton

Sorry to hear you are still having problems - and I can't remember if you are surgical meno or chemical although I think the outcome is the same in terms of hormone depletion?

Sounds like a good idea to get your bloods done because only that will tell you if you are absorbing well or not although just a snapshot in time.  Maybe get the bloods done just before you are due for patch change? When you say you feel as though they have worn off - what symptoms are you experiencing? Must be a right pain only to feel good for a few hours per week. I am in a very different position as I do use Estradot (officially 50 mcg but actually 62.5) and change as recommended every 3.5 days and have never had problems. I have my ovaries though and went into natural menopause and never notice whether they need changing or not - although I would after a few weeks! I apply mine to butt cheeks but the skin on lower abdomen is thinner which could make a difference as suggested.

Do I remember you have tried oestrogel in the past? I think it's easier to increase the dose quickly with gel even though it has to be applied daily. Also Sandrena is more concentrated than Estrogel so if you need a higher dose then this could be more convenient (ie a bit less to spread!).

Hurdity x

donnacrichton

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 05:48:49 PM »

Spoke to consultant today and I have to up it to 200 mcg and get bloods done next week. I can actually feel like it is wearing off. First day I get a surge and then get hopeful then end of day 2 flushes & burning increases. Tried cutting it to 3 days but still dropping  too early. I did try gel but it was before my system was shut down. I've been on 150mcg for 3 months and it still isn't levelling. The last time my bloods were done was on a 50mcg and it was under 20 so have been slowly increasing. Doesn't sound like absorbing the patch hopefully bloods will give us a clue.  I'm very lucky to have a supportive consultant but feeling I might go private as have tried so hard to be patient x