Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Can anyone point me in the right direction please?  (Read 1674 times)

nearly Loopy Lou

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
« on: August 24, 2017, 08:04:43 AM »

I think i'm peri (about to hit 50 and all the anxiety, mood swings, overly emotional. sweaty etc) but my issue is with prolonged menstrual bleeding.
My periods have been reasonably regular up until very recently. I had a 'normal' one at the end of last month and 8 days later started to bleed again. 13 days later and i'm still bleeding. Can someone point me in the direction of any other crazy bleeding ladies for some support please? As always with all things womens health, my GP is as much use as a chocolate teapot!

Lou  :)

Hurdity

Re: Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 08:27:50 AM »

Hi nearly Loopy Lou

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your bleeding - this is common just before peri-menopause starts properly - and cycles start to lengthen as ovulation starts to be more sporadic. There is some information about treatment of bleeding problems here: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/periodtreatments.php

Also other tabs about bleeding - go to top left tab Menopause (pale green banner) and you will see Bleeding in the drop-down menu. Many women have a Mirena coil at this stage - as it sorts out the bleeding - and can even stop periods, and then as (if) other menopausal symptoms start to develop eg flushes and sweats, then you can add in oestrogen if necessary. First thing to do though is to consult your doctor - just to check on reasons for the excessive bleeding.

You will want to make sure you don't become anaemic - so plenty of iron rich foods, and a low dose supplement now and again if necessary. Floradix herbal liquid tonic is a good one as you can just take a spoonful every now and then  - it's gentle on the system and you would be unlikely to overdose if you take less than the recommended amount.  If  you are feeling tired or breathless as a result of the bleeding this could indicate low iron and your doc might do a blood test

There is also an informative article about peri-menopause here:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/magazine/pdf/Article%20-%20Perils%20of%20the%20Perimenopause.pdf

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

Salad

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 09:11:04 AM »

Hi  :)

I was prescribed Tranexamic Acid tablets to try and control bleeding- this was in addition to the  Mefanemic Acid tablets I was already taking, which also have an affect on bleeding.
Might be worth a try

:welcomemm:

nearly Loopy Lou

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 09:55:22 AM »

Thank you Hurdity & Salad

I had already read everything i could find within the forum and in the books i have (it doesn't hurt to arm yourself  ;D) but hadn't found an experience similar to mine to help calm my nerves. I have to confess that at this stage in the process i wasn't necessarily looking for medical intervention - i like to ride things out if i possibly can however odd that might sound, just some reassurance that this is simply how my body is dealing with hormonal fluctuations because we are all different. I'm sure this is perfectly normal and it's certainly good to know there are options when my ability to ride it out is tested!

Thanks again  :)

nearly Loopy Lou

Re: Can anyone point me in the right direction please? AN UPDATE
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 09:14:17 AM »

Not sure how this is relevent but i'm worried and i know the ladies here are sensible ...I went back to the GP with my crazy bleeding lady concerns and have had an urgent referal to the Gyne unit at the local hospital to rule out anything sinister ...I'm scared!  :-\

dazned

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 09:27:38 AM »

Try not to worry, I know that you will but it really is standard procedure for gp to refer a woman presenting this way to refer as urgent gynae. So this might help you keep things in perspective I understand how hard that might be though.☺

nearly Loopy Lou

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 01:12:04 PM »

Thank you dazned and Thistle ....I'm not sure i could cope for 3 years ...i've been bleeding for about 50% of the time for the last 3 months and it's already driving me completely crazy because i'm afraid to go anywhere or do anything! Combined with the irritability and mood swings I'm already a nightmare to be around! ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 04:53:41 PM »

Sometimes a little medical intervention is necessary for heavy bleeding and could make things much more comfortable for you - but as long as there is nothing wrong and you can cope - and you don't get anaemic - well good luck to you and hope it eases soon :)

Glad you are well-informed! This website is a great resource isn't it!

Hurdity x