Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Anxiety  (Read 1997 times)

Ambergirl

Anxiety
« on: September 02, 2017, 06:27:21 PM »

Hi,
I'm 51 and the last few months have been quite difficult. I have really suffered from anxiety, especially health anxiety, which is not good when your body is doing all sorts of weird things! :( I get irrational fears about silly things and consider every lump, bump or bruise terminal! I was advised by GP to take AD but I decided not to go down that route. I had a few self-guided CBT sessions but they didn't really gel with me. Any advice from others would be great. I hadn't had a period for 4 months and then one appeared last month. I am about 2 stone overweight - stress of the job as well as my age - and so not sure if HRT would be advisable for me. If any of you ladies out there has had any similar experiences I would be really grateful for your comments. I am so glad to read some of the posts as they help me to realise I am not alone. :)

babyjane

Re: Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 06:32:52 PM »

Hi Ambergirl and welcome to the forum.  There are a lot of ladies here who can give you good advice on this because as far as I know it is a very common problem in perimenopause, which it sounds like you are in.

As your anxiety has only just started then you were probably wise not to accept the ADs at this point but have you talked to your GP about HRT.  I don't know about it because I don't use it but there are a lot of ladies who do and I am sure they will advise you accordingly when they read your post.  While you are waiting why not browse some of the threads and see what you can find.  Good to 'meet' you.

dazned

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 07:09:21 PM »

:welcomemm:

Hello it's good to have you join us, but sorry that you are suffering. If you have a good mooch round you will see many who have or are in the same situation as you,sometimes that alone can be a comfort. When you've had a good read please come back with any questions you might have,nothing is taboo here ! Maybe try keeping a simple symptom diary,see if any patterns emerge,then take it to gp to discuss. That's what I did and we both agreed it was very helpful. Anyway welcome again.

rebel2

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 11:45:58 AM »

Welcome Ambergirl - I can appreciate exactly how you are feeling as the same suddenly hit me three years ago.  I have had some awful bouts of health anxiety [self-diagnosed every disease under the sun!] and tried both HRT and ADs.   To be honest, the anxiety breaks through the HRT, but I still take it for hot flushes, etc [oestrogen only as have had a hysterectomy] and the ADs just made me feel very flat [although they stopped the panic attacks and the hot flushes].  I have tried a major life over-haul - no caffeine, no nicotine [although I gave up before this started], very little alcohol [I can no longer metabolise red wine - which I really miss], little sugar and a probiotic drink every day.   I started running  with the couch25k programme - and I can assure you that I have never exercised in my life, despite being slim, I was not fit.  I also do yoga once a week.   I also tried the CBT sessions but found they made me dwell on the anxiety too much.

To be honest, the only thing that really cures it for me is being busy/active and staying fit and well.   I think anxiety can really get a grip and it becomes a vicious circle, you notice every little symptom [and there will be lots, it is called 'the change'] and every little symptom then gets magnified and becomes serious, and then you stress about it and become obsessive, which can then actually make you ill!

People on here will have varying different regime ideas, think about them all carefully but try not to see any as a 'magic bullet' as it takes time to re-adjust your thought patterns and get out of the cycle of anxiety.  I found I was convinced a new regime would 'cure' me, only to discover a lot of it had taken root in my mind.

Good luck.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 11:57:59 AM »

Are you depressed or suffering with anxiety?  They are separate illnesses but can feed off each other.  There are tablets to take such as Valium on an 'as-necessary' basis when anxiety takes over, I have a different medication [name escapes me  ::)] without which I wouldn't be here!  How was anxiety prior to your regular periods?

My depression is more or less under control with appropriate AD medication.  Some ladies find that keeping a mood/symptom/food diary useful in charting the various changes, I have a target of 1-5 with regards anxiety attacks: 5 being when I feel in danger and have to take the tablet.

Some HRT can ease anxiety symptoms but it can be Trial and Error finding something that suits.  Do browse the 'treatment' suggestions above [green box].  Make notes!  If you go to your GP maybe make a double appt. so that you don't feel rushed and make a list of what you want to discuss.

Ambergirl

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 06:39:24 PM »

Just wanted to say thank you for the replies as it does seem that anxiety is quite common during this time. I am going to see my gp again about HRT - it might help. I do agree that exercise is a good way to beat the blues so I am trying to get out walking more. Thanks for everyone's advice!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 07:47:49 PM »

I find that taking a note of symptoms to the appt. useful, my GP and I go through it to see what needs addressing first.

Will you let U know how you get on?

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 08:52:15 AM »

Hi Ambergirl

:welcomemm: from me too - an HRT fan!

With symptoms like that as well as your periods becoming less frequent, and at your age - your doc should not be prescribing ADs initially - instead HRT is recommended in the first instance if there is no medical reason why not!

Also great advice from rebel2 on lifestyle changes - now is the time to take yourself in hand and eat better  and reduce alcohol intake (if necessary), get fit and lose some weight because these things alone will have an enormous effect on your future health :).

Read around about all the different types of HRT ( pale green banner above - Treatments tab) and if you want any help then do please ask!

Hurdity x

cwsg

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 05:18:52 PM »

Hi Ambergirl,

I realy sympathise as i have been suffering in a similar way. I just posted about have ive been feeling this afternoon on the thread i started called Hestroscopy tomorrow, whether to cancel it- or something along those lines.
Ive so far had two very bad days in the last 3 months and both were triggered by stress.
Personally having been to psychotherapy in the past, i know this works for me plus now i will be looking into natural alternatives to hrt like diet and excersice and have booked in to see a naturapath next week who will take my hormone levels frequently and guide me.
I hope your feeling ok today. best wishes