Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Anyone else doing Active 10?  (Read 8051 times)

babyjane

Re: Anyone else doing Active 10?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 10:22:52 AM »

I don't have an i phone or android or internet enabled phone.  I just have an old Nokia 100 that I have had for years. Anyway I don't need an app to enable me to walk briskly as I have a little dog that likes to do just that every day  :scottie: Now he is older if he doesn't fancy it one day I just go by myself.

The trouble is, every time 'they' tell us we should be doing this or that it locks into my issues with my upbringing and the worry that if I don't do it, or dont do it right then I will get into trouble, so for my mental health I am best not subscribing to the things 'they' tell us to do.  They usually change their mind after a while and tell us to do something else instead  ::).

'they' must think we are all daft, it's common sense to try to keep well and active, we don't need faceless entities telling us what to do.  For me, and this is just me, subscribing to something like this would do more harm than good but I hope everyone who is doing it enjoys the challenge and feels better for it  :bunny:

Taz2

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2017, 08:22:37 PM »

I think the main point of active 10 is for people who never walk briskly for ten minutes without stopping. It's the 'without stopping' which is the important part. It does encourage sedentary people that they can do a brisk get-you-out-of-breath ten minute walk which doesn't take long but has a positive benefit for heart health. It is difficult to walk for even ten minutes sometimes without getting distracted and stopping.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2017, 09:47:03 PM »

We haven't exercised as a species correctly for years  ::) - kids don't get as much playtime as we did because Education Authorities were allowed to sell off land for building.  Since the 1970s many homes now have 2+ vehicles available.  Many are time short, I can't fit in walking to my day as I prefer to be in our garden which needs a lot of work. 

Active 10 focusses the mind on exactly how long 10 mins. really is!  It's a good reminder that we need to concentrate on more exercise in general including housework?

Maybe we need a MM swimming pool?  ;D

Taz2

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2017, 11:37:52 PM »

The point of it is that you walk briskly which exercises the heart enough. Ten minutes of non-stop walking. Briskly. Housework etc. is good too obviously but the specific aim of this regime is to keep the heart pumping harder for ten minutes without a break. Everyone can spare ten minutes so it is easy to fit in. It's so daunting when we read that we have to do 150 minutes a week of exercise and easy not to bother. Apparently one brisk ten minute walk a day reduces your risk of early death by 15%. Mind you - we incorporated our brisk ten minutes today during our walk to the pub  ;D

Taz x

Ju Ju

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2017, 12:45:36 AM »

;D Its possible to walk briskly to our pub, but stumbling up a steep hill in pitch black ( no street lights) on the way home is a bit of an ask for me! Once I left a friend's house early one morning without a torch, no house lights or moonlight to help me. It was a bit scary as I couldn't find my drive. I knew I had gone too far when I started going downhill. Got home eventually and now remember to take a torch.

I'm encouraged that my children take exercise more seriously than I ever did. My DD walks, climbs and does yoga, my son runs, walks, cycles, swims and skis. My niece runs marathons, triathlons etc and my nephew, football, cricket and other team games. Puts me to shame, though I do have asthma challenges.

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2017, 03:08:18 PM »

I can't find 10 mins..  We have a treadmill too ......... but can't find time for that either though am loathe to sell it  :-\.

Have gardened, walked round the supermarket with a trolley and run up and down stairs when possible.  Must Try Harder ;-)

babyjane

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2017, 03:39:48 PM »

Must Try Harder ;-)

Why?  Because 'they' say so?  We are all different (thankfully) and this might not be right for you CLKD.  It is not right for me because of my tendency to get obsessed with organised routines and it would be a trigger for my issues about failure.  That does not mean I am unfit and do not take exercise.  You sound in a similar position.

When I walked the dog earlier I passed three different ladies of a certain age who all looked as though they might be doing this challenge, trainers on, hair tied back, phone attached to ear piece and brisk walking.  :)

'They' are trying to make us all clones doing the same things in the same way.  We are individuals and our needs and choices are individual too  :)

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2017, 06:03:29 PM »

Well said  ;) "Must Try Harder" was on many of my School Reports  ;D ....... I have rarely conformed though.  What you see is what you get  :o

It's such lovey weather though .......

Taz2

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2017, 06:05:12 PM »

I don't believe you can't find ten minutes to go for a brisk walk CLKD. You mean you don't want to  ;D

Walking, gardening etc are good obviously but they don't give you ten minutes of sustained raised heart rate which is the whole point of the new advice. As I said it is aimed more at people who never go for a brisk walk of at least ten minutes.

I don't think that it is to do with making us clones - just advice which may help give us a longer life which doesn't take up much time. I can't always find time for a brisk half an hour but I can do a brisk ten minutes, even before work, so that gives me hope that my heart might stay healthy. It's no good for weight loss of course as ten minutes isn't enough which might put some people off bothering.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2017, 06:07:49 PM »

Which bit of 'can't find time' don't you understand  :-\ ?  Many years ago I walked 2/3 miles daily, often more and even further when on holidays.  But I have slowed up in recent years and not owning a  :scottie: means that I don't need to go far.  I also don't have as much energy, though probably if I walked regularly energy levels would to a certain degree, return.  I don't have time to use the treadmill either ....... I would love to have enough energy and time to get up and go.

Whatever.

Taz2

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2017, 06:20:55 PM »

I only meant that if I can find time then anyone can but only if they want to. I too have energy problems and suffer with fibromyalgia but the ten minutes is doable and I find it comforting that even if I can't go racing around the 5k course like everyone else I can at least do a little bit to help myself keep fitter.

How about getting up ten minutes earlier? I'm sure that you are fit anyway with all of the gardening you do and walking around various places of interest and antique fairs etc. If you had the treadmill near the tv you could have a quick ten minute walk while you are watching something interesting. Time would fly by.

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2017, 08:56:17 PM »

Ooh I've only just seen this - sounds like a brilliant idea!

I haven't got the app but I see it's a Public Health England Initiative. I can see some people don't want to be told to do things and it's not relevant to those who exercise regularly, but any idea that "they" come up with that might increase the overall fitness and health of the population has to be a good thing! The more gimmicks the better in my book.

The one thing I was wondering is if you do say 60 mins in one day - does that count as three days worth - eg my hour of Zumba? There are some days when I definitely don't do 10 mins vigorous (out of breath) exercise although I am up and about, of course, every day.

Unfortunately there is no space on my phone for apps and my contract runs until next August so I'm stuck with this useless one! I would quite like to try it though...

Hurdity x

Taz2

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2017, 06:44:52 AM »

It doesn't actually count as three days worth but it's still great to do the sixty minutes in one day as all brisk exercise is good. It would count as six lots of Active 10  :hapij:

The important part is that you do at least one Active 10 every day - a daily brisk ten minute walk is known to increase heart health and reduce your likelihood of dying early by 15% (I think).

I didn't do mine yesterday  :(

Taz x

babyjane

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2017, 08:34:44 AM »

I stand by my opinions and comment based on me, in my life.  The theory is very good but it will not be right for everybody. For me the regimentation and having to do it every day with the pressure of 'oh my goodness I haven't done it today' would be counter productive for me.  Each person has to assess what is right for them.  We are individuals and while exercise is beneficial in some form for the majority of us, this would not be right for me, or for everybody.

How nice we all have the choice to find what works for us  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2017, 08:39:55 AM »

I don't think anyone disagreed with you babyjane  ???

Taz - Heavens - I think I need to do it just for my brain!!! Where did I get 3 sessions worth from 60 mins!!!  ;D .  So it does matter to do something every day then - I really must make more of an effort on the days when I don't have activity already planned and especially as the gardening season comes to an end - although my gardening is not exactly vigorous - good for muscles and joints with all the stretching and bending but leave the digging to my husband these days (softie I know!).

Hurdity x
Pages: 1 [2] 3