Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Provera - hair loss???  (Read 10988 times)

Annie0710

Re: Provera - hair loss???
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 04:29:24 PM »

You should start a new thread on that as you should be monitored I think if you take a longer break with prog.  My meno nurse said prog opposes oestrogen so if that's right and you're on a low oestrogen dose that could be your reason for hair loss

Sunnydays

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2017, 05:43:24 PM »

Ah that's interesting Annie - thank you. Not sure that there's many in the forum that use Provera.  I do have a uterus scan each year to check all is ok :)

Annie0710

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2017, 06:49:44 PM »

Maybe try increasing gently on oestrogen to 37.5 - 50?

Sunnydays

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2017, 09:42:12 PM »

Annie, I'm now only cutting a tiny bit off the 37.5 so will see how this goes. Blood test is Thursday so will post when I have results.

Annie0710

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2017, 09:46:37 PM »

Its so hard getting the right dose/balance

Good luck with the test x

Sunnydays

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2017, 07:03:09 AM »

I had my blood test results back - all fine. Thyroid TSH (?) within range and the Doctor checked for trace elements as well.
So maybe it's the hrt causing hair thinning or simply getting older!!
I've been scrutinising every female head of hair in the past week: some women of my age or older with a thick head of hair or some with the thinner look like mine!
From large amounts of hair coming out it has now eased back to normal but I don't want it to happen again!
On another note, on this cycle of provera , unlike the other cycles, I didn't get a bleed at all. Strange

Hurdity

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2017, 08:29:01 AM »

What was your thyroid reading? Sometimes symptoms are experienced even when results are within normal range, and women feel sub-optimal (tired, weight gain, hair loss, cold etc).

re the bleed: you are taking a very low dose of oestrogen but I see the Provera (5 mg) is also low dose compared to the amount given on this website (10 mg sequential). However the fact that you didn't get a bleed suggests that the Provera may still be higher than needed for that amount of oestrogen. Perhaps you could go for the longer cycle as you suggest with your doctor's approval, or increase the oestrogen? I know Dana takes Provera with an oestrogen patch - I don't know what her doses are though so perhaps have a look at some of her posts on this?

Hurdity x

Katia

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2017, 10:00:14 AM »

I think there is provera 2.5mg.  I'm going to try it instead of the utrogestan as that builds up and makes me a bit groggy.  For premarin it's the 2.5mg for daily use, so the 5mg would be for sequential.  I'm peri but find I do better trying to keep stable.  Can they be cut in half?

Sunnydays

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2017, 12:45:58 PM »

Under active thyroid has been an issue on amd off for past couple of years as I sit between subcoinical and a 'good reading'. The gp doesn't seem to do the full tests each time so I think I'll
Try and get one privately in the new year.

Sunnydays

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2017, 05:28:59 PM »

Didn't get to finish that message properly as Internet and phone problem!

I was going to go on to say that I might try a longer sequence, say 6 weeks, or try the 2.5 mgs. It's just the time for experimenting! It needs 3/4 months to see how it works and so it seems like that hrt and hormones become the darned focus!

Hurdity

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2017, 07:02:57 PM »

I remember now about you and thyroid - I think you mentioned this before?  I would definitely pursue this (full thyroid profile including anti-bodies) if your TSH is consistently over 3 and you are experiencing symptoms. Countrybumpkin used to be an advisor for a thyroid charity so maybe send her a pm (hope she won't mind my suggesting this....). I know very little about it!

Personally I wouldn't wait until the new year - that's along time away - but depends on how you are feeling generally of course! Yes time to experiment (safely) I think....

Hurdity x

Katia

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2017, 03:16:36 PM »

I was thinking yesterday about the androgens and hair. So many ladies say that t improves their hair, yet the progestegens that are androgenic are supposed to make it worse. A study on t and hair said androgen therapy didn't increase loss and improved hair for some ladies. I wonder if it's been a bit under reasearched and it's the connected to the androgenic progestegens?  Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Katia

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2017, 09:44:29 AM »

Hi sunny days, I'm just wondering if your hair loss has settled down with the provera?  I have some and don't know whether to see how it goes, or look at a change.

Sunnydays

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2017, 07:48:07 AM »

Hi Katia, it does seem to have done. It's really strange - I had a two week period where it was coming out left right and centre when I brushed/ combed it. It has definitely thinned out. However the loss has stopped and at the front I have shorter new hair in places. It's just so weird - I almost wondered if I had a load of new hair coming through that was pushing out the old hair - yes daft I know.
I've spoken to various friends etc over the last couple of weeks and they've all
Mentioned hair becoming thinner at this age.
My fingers are  crossed mine doesn't she again.....

Sunnydays

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2017, 12:21:25 PM »

Hi, just thought I would update although I've deviated somewhat from my thread title! I arranged a full thyroid blood test - had to see a private GP, couldn't just ask a private hospital myself. She arranged the full set of thyroid as well as vitamin d ( I said I get achy, catch colds easily etc)
Results back the day after and everything spot on! I've niggled about my thyroid for ages so now I have the full set of results I shall forget about it and just have test annually due to family umderactive connection.
So In a way it doesn't solve the hair falling out but this seems ok now, whether it was provera or indeed the Evorel I had before I don't know.
I do lack an energy and get hot easily etc etc so I'm wandering about the hrt. Is it the hrt that causes it and should I stop completely! Or should I try not cutting a bit off  my 37,5 oestrogen patch anymore and having the whole lot. I've gone on the premis that we should keep dose low as possible; plus the more oestrogen I take means the more demon progesterone I have to take!
I shall have to ponder - I think may be I'll increase to full patch first before stopping as down below has been so helped with the hrt.
The other thing is I do have a low lymphocyte count and have done so for long while. It's within parameters albeit it low. Any ideas from anyone on foods etc that can increase this. I eat a good diet!
Thanks - a real me me post!
Pages: 1 [2] 3