Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Help, so confused.  (Read 1539 times)

Kazg66

Help, so confused.
« on: August 24, 2017, 08:08:12 AM »

Hello all I've just joined and I am so confused about what type of hrt I should be on. I am 50 years old, my periods stopped completely nearly 2 years ago, I've tried to battle on with my awful symptoms but couldn't cope any longer.I went to my gp and she has given me Evorel Sequi, its a pink box with 4 Evorel 50 patches and 4 Evorel Conti patches. I've read conflicting information that these patches will cause a 'period' is this true, I don't wish to bleed anymore. Are these patches correct for me(no period for nearly 2 years and still have womb/ovaries). Thank you so much in advance. Kaz x
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 08:11:44 AM by Kazg66 »

Taz2

Re: Help, so confused.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 11:07:45 AM »

Hi Kaz - Your doctor may have chosen the sequi as some recommendations are that under 50 you need to have gone two years without a period and as you are fifty they might be being cautious. Because you have gone almost two years without a period though it seems that it is possible for you to be on a conti HRT - Evorel Conti rather than Evorel Sequi -  although it wont harm you to be on sequi and the bleeds (usually at the end of the conti patches) are usually light once you get settled onto the regime. Some women choose the sequi rather than the conti as they don't like the effect of continuous progesterone (I was one of those) so the choice is up to you. Some women do experience breakthrough bleeding on conti HRT for the first six months or so but this should then settle down.

You are not the first to have to query whether their HRT is the right one by the way. GP's do get it wrong sometimes.

Have a good look around the site. Lots of info, help and friendship on here. Let us know how you get on.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Kazg66

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 11:38:49 AM »

Hi Taz,
Thank you so much for your quick reply to my new member message. It's a confusing world of menopause, non of my friends are there yet so I had no one to really help me, I wasn't aware that 2 years had to pass without a period preferably to be given the continuous progesterone, how does the side effects compare? I don't relish having bleeds again as I am on Apixaban(blood thinner), but I suppose it's better than the awful way I'm feeling at the moment, every morning I sit on my bed and sob, horrendous night sweats, insomnia on top of 25 years of insomnia, I hardly sleep at all, I'm exhausted, nauseous and very grumpy, poor kids :-\

Thanks again for your reply :)

Kaz x
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 11:41:41 AM by Kazg66 »

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 12:37:31 PM »

Hi Kaz - if you scroll down to "Which preparation" on this link https://patient.info/doctor/hormone-replacement-therapy-including-benefits-and-risks you will see that it would appear you will be fine on the continuous type. I would contact our GP and see if you can have a prescription for conti and not sequi especially due to your bleeding problems.

Progesterone can make some women feel tired and out of sorts and sometimes it can give PMT type symptoms. The Norethisterone in Evorel can cause these symptoms in some women but not, by any means, all of them so it is worth a try. If it doesn't suit you there are others you can try. The other patch conti HRT is FemSeven which has a different progesterone although it is sometimes difficult to get these to stick. You can also use oestrogen in the form of a gel and add in a different progesterone so there are lots of options. The downside is that it is advised to try each one for at least three months - it can take a while to find the right "fit".

There are loads of us on here who have been where you are now - especially that sitting on the bed in tears every morning wondering where to get the energy from to face the world so don't feel you area lone. When I started on Evorel sequi I was having drenching sweats every twenty minutes and had to take spare clothes into work (Yuk!) but within forty eight hours of putting on my first patch they had totally disappeared. Once you get the night sweats under control I'm sure you will begin to feel much better.

Taz x  :bighug: