Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Omeprazole  (Read 11613 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Omeprazole
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2017, 01:11:45 PM »

Milk of Magnesia can ease symptoms, we used to buy both tablets or liquid.  I think that it's best to use the old fashioned over-the-counter meds initially ;-). 

Katejo

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2017, 04:34:27 PM »

Yes - I understand your frustration.

I am like CLKD and babyjane - I have twice been to the docs over the past years ( some time ago) with stomach problems and once was prescribed Omp... and the other occasion Ranitidine. Needless to say both medications sat in the medicine cupboard unopened until they went out of date and I chucked them as I have a bit of an aversion to meds (especially if they are unnecessary!) - and in fact had only gone to see if there was something wrong - not to be prescribed something. Doc's first approach was to reach for the prescription pad and send me on my way!

I use indigestion tablets and occasionally Milk of Magnesia, and short term changes to diet, when my tum plays up - but realise something stronger may be necessary for some people.

I hope it works and you feel better anyway :)

Hurdity x
  I have a small sliding hernia which was only discovered when I was sent for an endoscopy in connection with swallowing. It took  me a bit by surprise. I was told that I had slight gastritis too. I am determined not to take any of those prescribed medications and the GP hasn't pushed them on me. I have been reading up on them. There seem to be so many disadvantages/side effects.
I would also prefer to keep to the occasional over the counter medication. I have also tried apple cider vinegar.

CaroleM

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2017, 05:54:04 PM »

Sparkle, you are so right about it being scary. The first time I was really so sure I was about to die. I found that I was in so much pain I actually couldn't speak. By the time DH came into the room, things were easing off and I was still alive! He said that I had turned a most horrible colour.

The time I was driving, I pulled onto the grass verge and just had to wait it out until I could drive again, that was the only time I was on the road. For that I am thankful.

After that one I was sent for the cameras, both ends same day. It's on my records that if you want to get a camera down my gullet or up the other end, you sedate me first.  They tried to make me swallow, I did something strange for me, I panicked. Once I was sedated everything went well, but they did find out why I panicked, my oesophagus is narrow. It also explained why both food and liquids can get properly stuck going down.  That's fun too :'(

robotwars

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2017, 06:58:07 PM »

That must have been scary bright eyes....
The only discussion I had was that the CT scan showed whitening on my right lung, which they think is being caused by access acid, they need to try and stop the acid then redo the CT scan to see what the lung is like and whether it has got any worse. so they want me to take the tablets for two months then review....
But its strange as I have no indigestion or heart burn, the only symptom I have is sometimes I feel sickly like I have a strange taste in my throat that I cant get rid off, which I had been putting down to hormones! LOL

Only other symptoms I have been getting are rumbling stomachs etc, which I have been putting down to IBS...

Oh well decided I would start the pills on sunday evening as we have been away over the weekend and didn't want any side effects while I was away...

Katejo

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2017, 08:13:43 PM »

Oh Brighteyes, what an absolute nightmare!  Good you know the reason now, I find it's the not knowing that's so frightening.  I've had cameras both ends during the same procedure, thankfully not at the same time.  Thank God for sedation!!!  :o

Robotwars, you can have reflux without heartburn apparently, I never knew that until I read about it.  Hope the ranitidine suits you better.

S x
Yes there is a condition called Laryngeal Silent Reflux. I have been told that I have it in the past. I do get reflux but no burning/acidic taste at all.

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2017, 08:14:15 PM »

Why would acid get into the lungs  :-\ ........ that would worry me the most  ::)

Hopefully you've been somewhere 'nice'!

Also with regards belly rumblings, eat more often: don't add more to your over-all diet but eat smaller amounts.  As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = hiatus hernia.

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2017, 01:13:26 PM »

Wouldn't one then cough a LOT?  :-\

Katejo

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2017, 07:57:42 PM »

Why would acid get into the lungs  :-\ ........ that would worry me the most  ::)

Hopefully you've been somewhere 'nice'!

Also with regards belly rumblings, eat more often: don't add more to your over-all diet but eat smaller amounts.  As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = hiatus hernia.
  What is your source of info re. drop in oestrogen levels helping to cause the hiatus hernia please? Are you saying that it can cause it or just that it can make an already existing hernia worse?

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2017, 09:41:28 PM »

Any muscles which become lax can cause aches and pains and it is known that in menopause, hiatus hernia is a common problem [as is frozen shoulder].  I don't have a 'source' as such.

Katejo

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2017, 04:01:19 PM »

Any muscles which become lax can cause aches and pains and it is known that in menopause, hiatus hernia is a common problem [as is frozen shoulder].  I don't have a 'source' as such.
   Yes I am aware of it relating to muscle aches and pains but hadn't heard it in the context of hiatus hernia. I know that they are common post 50 but hadn't made any connection with menopause as I thought that it was common in men too.

robotwars

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2017, 06:05:41 PM »

I took my first Rantidene tablet last night and I now know why they say to take it at night!
Stomach was ok, so far but this morning I felt like I had taken night time cold remedies, very heavy headed, hopefully it will get better..... fingers crossed.

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2017, 09:10:00 PM »

I hate that hung-over feeling for no reason  ::)!

robotwars

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2017, 09:15:52 AM »

Well day 3 of the new tablets and its not getting any better, this morning I feel like I'm hung over and have that sickly feeling. Beginning to wonder whether its worth it, feel worse on the tablets than off!!!!!!
The joke was I was awake at 3am coughing which is what they are suppose to be helping with!!!!

Are there any herbal alternatives or maybe a change in diet...... maybe I should try the gluten free diet as suggested.....

robotwars

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2017, 10:09:00 AM »

Thanks Breeze, I don't understand it, I don't drink alcohol, I don't smoke, I'm not over weight, I have no heartburn or indigestion, I don't drink fizzy drink, I only drink water, tea and J20( once a week), my symptoms are tenderness in the centre just under ribs, night time cough and this whiteness they have found on my lung after a CT scan.......

Katejo

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2017, 12:42:03 PM »

Thanks Breeze, I don't understand it, I don't drink alcohol, I don't smoke, I'm not over weight, I have no heartburn or indigestion, I don't drink fizzy drink, I only drink water, tea and J20( once a week), my symptoms are tenderness in the centre just under ribs, night time cough and this whiteness they have found on my lung after a CT scan.......
  Have you tried decaf tea/coffee  instead of regular? When I saw a consultant several years ago, he said I had laryngeal silent reflux and tried to give me a very restricted diet to which I objected. However I did switch to decaff tea and I mainly have decaff coffee (not  a heavy coffee drinker). It might be worth a try.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 01:50:32 PM by Katejo »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4