Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Gabapentin  (Read 2002 times)

Hanny1066

Gabapentin
« on: August 16, 2017, 08:29:55 PM »

Hi Ladies, I'm new to the site, thank goodness I found it to. I'm 48 years old and going through Menopause.  What a terrifying experience with all the different symptoms! 3 and half years of worsening night sweats, hot flushes, giddy, tension in back and neck, muscle pain, cold chills and the worse symptom of all, the dreaded Anxiety, with insomnia

Feel like Iv lost myself completely

For health reasons cannot take any HRT methods.  Gp gave me flouxetine for hot flushes ... 6 or 7 weeks and still waiting fir them to kick in.

My neck and shoulders and bottom of back is so tense, I walking off balance ! Horrible !

Gp has given me Gabapentin fir my neck .... has anyone had this med ?

Thank you 😊

ellie

Re: Gabapentin
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 09:49:30 AM »

Yes and couldn't get on with the side effects, changed to pregabalin (same thing really bit more expensive, hence why doctors usually try gabapentin first) ......Many people get on with both, and a lot has been written about it on the forums....type it in and have a look. Unfortunately I couldn't tolerate either one, but you may.    Good look and let us know how you get on. It really is a good drug and does help......just those darn side effects  >:( on some people.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 10:04:09 AM »

I am about to try this drug again as i have prolapsed a disc in my spine and cannot move without excrutiating pain. I did same thing earlier last year and was unable to walk for many months.  Last year I didn't get up to the dosage needed for pain relief (900mgs) because of side effects but my pain is worse this year so willing to try it again.
I would say that unless you are in horrendous pain then try other pain medication first, old style anti depressants can be good although not necessarily appropriate if you are already on fluoxetine. a neighour of mine has taken gabapentin for years without noticeable side effects but my aunty had to give up when she literally lost her memory and could not remember anyones name!  It is an epilepsy drug so has massive effect on the brain, the upside is that it can help enormously with nerve pain as in sciatica in the legs or arm pain from neck discs.

ellie

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 10:44:41 AM »

On pregabalin I need to get to 600 mg but cannot get past 150,  my heart starts to race.   But it definitely helps the pain. Also weight gain is a problem.
Good luck ladies, I really hope  the gabapentin works without too many side effects.......keeping my fingers crossed for you.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 01:13:09 PM »

My gp said gabapentin either makes you put on weight or you lose weight.  Last year I had just managed to lose 3 stones so was desperate not to put any weight back on as to maintain the weight loss I eat very little ( I am still 3 stones overweight due to thyroid issues). 
I was wondering about pregabalin but as I already suffer from superventricular tachycardia attacks its probably better I don't go near them!