Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: World Athletics Championship, London, 2017  (Read 6949 times)

cubagirl

Re: World Athletics Championship, London, 2017
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 07:32:01 AM »

Egg race & potato race were my forte. Never the fastest runner, but had a steady hand.  ;D

Ju Ju

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2017, 07:47:23 AM »

My Mum is decluttering 'precious' stuff, so that I don't have to sort it at some stage. Part of one load was a piece of blue ribbon on a safety pin, that was given for coming 1st or 2nd in a sports day race in primary school. No idea what it was for, but nice to know I won something sporty once in my life! Unless it was a booby prize!  I was the girl you chose last for teams, even if I was your best friend!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 01:12:15 PM »

.... that was me too Ju Ju - or I was chosen due to being 'teacher's pet'  >:( [which I wasn't  :-\]

Hopefully the athletes will have less rain today!

cubagirl

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 03:24:51 PM »

Thank goodness our two were more athletic. Eldest GD is a phenomenal swimmer, puts her grandparents to shame.

Sad to see last of Usain Bolt.  :'( Great athlete!

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 03:43:58 PM »

Ju Ju & CKLD that was me also, always picked last. I was useless at sport!

CaroleM

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2017, 08:57:49 PM »

Mo, thank you. It will be a pleasure to see you out on the road. You've done us proud.

If screams from Plymouth to Lind couldbeheard, they were mine!

CaroleM

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2017, 09:22:12 PM »

This evening is one of tears, of joy for our girls in the 4 x 100 SILVER and our boys with their GOLD in their equivalent, of disappointment for Usain Bolt and his guys.

Tomorrow sees the close of this World Championship. We've been treated to wonderful performances. We have new youngsters coming through for the future. 

I'm hoarse now!!!!!!

cubagirl

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2017, 10:05:19 PM »

Felt so sorry for Usain Bolt! However, well done to GB & NI 4x100 metre relay teams!

CaroleM

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2017, 01:04:16 PM »

Ouch, that was cruel.  The Chinese athlete in bronze was disqualified just about 25/30m from the finish. She was given her 3rd warning for her foot action.  Apparently the chief judge is the only one who can actually DQ anyone, even though she got her 3rd red warning half way up The Mall on the final lap.

Last night did see today's stars retire and the new vanguard of British athletics begin to shine. We'er so lucky to have such depth in our talent pool for the future. Mo intends to take to the road, so more fireworks from him in the future!

CaroleM

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2017, 08:46:31 PM »

What an amazing Championships.

I really think that the manner of the medal ceremonies has taken them back to basics. No flowers, no gimics or stuffed toys. Just medals, brilliant. Also, the simple but effective way of presenting the national flags.  All done with beautiful style.

Our girls and guys gave EVERYTHING. I'm totally proud of our national team, I hope you are too.

Brendan Foster, thank you for your athletics and your commentaries. Enjoy your retirement.

cubagirl

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2017, 10:34:43 AM »

I agree Brighteyes. The athletes are out to win medals, not cuddly toys. Also liked the way national flags were presented.
Pages: 1 [2]