Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: problems in the mouth  (Read 2943 times)

AnnieR66

problems in the mouth
« on: July 30, 2017, 07:52:41 AM »

Hi ladies, has anyone had any success with getting rid of problems mainly concerning the mouth ? I have dry tongue,dry mouth,horrible taste in mouth,acid taste,salty taste and lump in throat. I have been suffering for one and a half years, the gp is not much help but I have a hospital appointment next month.
I would be very grateful if anyone has had any success with anything,it doesn't have to be hrt, although I am on fem seven sequi which has helped a bit.
There seems to be quite a few ladies who suffer these symptoms so please let me know....I have had enough!!!!

Taz2

Re: problems in the mouth
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 09:16:38 AM »

It sounds as if you could be suffering from acid reflux and globus AnnieR66. It's often referred to as GORD. This can lead to bad breath and strange tastes in the mouth plus the feeling of a lump in your throat. It's caused by excess acid being regurgitated back into the throat. Most people get heartburn or indigestion but in some cases it seems that this symptom isn't present but the others are. Who have you been referred to or has anyone mentioned the acid reflux to you? Have you also had a thorough check up at your dentist?

Taz x

AnnieR66

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 10:13:53 AM »

yes I have been down that route for the reflux, tried all the pills had the endoscopy etc.!!
I am pretty sure all my symptoms are hormonal as I had most of them when pregnant including the acid for 9 months.
Thanks for replying x

Maryjane

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 10:45:42 AM »

Sounds like burning mouth syndrome , pretty common in menopause.

I have it worse some days than others ( had gastroscope all fine ).

elainewin

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 11:08:39 AM »

I also had this problem of feeling like something in my throat on one side ,I was referred to hospital and had a camera up my nose and down back of throat , there was nothing suspicious to be found and was also told was probably Gerd ,and I got myself some gaviscon,which seems to have done the trick.always best to be checked thou ,but Iam sure things will be just fine  X . 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 02:15:37 PM »

Have a look-see at what is in your toothpaste.   LSL caused my mouth to burn when I ate bananas, chocolate, cheese  :-\

DaisyB

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 10:53:19 PM »

Hi ladies, has anyone had any success with getting rid of problems mainly concerning the mouth ? I have dry tongue,dry mouth,horrible taste in mouth,acid taste,salty taste and lump in throat. I have been suffering for one and a half years, the gp is not much help but I have a hospital appointment next month.
I would be very grateful if anyone has had any success with anything,it doesn't have to be hrt, although I am on fem seven sequi which has helped a bit.
There seems to be quite a few ladies who suffer these symptoms so please let me know....I have had enough!!!!
hi Annie - throat feels like I've something stuck in it as I write this! Also like I've a scarf tied too tight. I've noticed ambit of mucas and some heartburn so I'm guessing it's GERD. It was one of my first symptoms as well as dry mouth. Camera down twice - apart from small hernia nothing sinister. Still always good to get checked but best advice I got was to raise bed 5 inches under headboard so that your head is raised and take antacid - I also dont panic now which seems to see it leave within a day or so - whereas a few years back I was so distressed which obviously just made it worse! For me it was definitely hormonal. I am feeling horrible today so it could be the hormones are off - which is why it's back!

Hope it settles soon

DaisyB xx

DaisyB

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 07:02:22 AM »

Snap DaisyB!!

S x
you too Sparkle? I put gel on bottom instead of thigh two days in a row- am now wondering if area was too fat and impeded absorption- think I'll go to nhs gp next week and ask for bloods to be taken - trouble is as I was still having periods when I started HRT in April I don't know where I am in my cycle. So not sure if that would even be useful??

Mav196

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 09:29:54 PM »

Hi Annie.....I had similar symptoms to what you describe when I was in my 30s - acid taste in my mouth and a lump in throat that felt like I had swallowed a lump of bread that hadn't quite gone down. I had an endoscopy and was diagnosed with small hernia and some reflux (even though I never felt stuff coming back up my throat). GP prescribed me Losec which didn't work and I subsequently tried Zantac and Nexium which didn't work either.....had also tried Gaviscon and various other non prescription remedies which didn't work either. Went back to GP and by chance saw a different GP - he prescribed me a course of Ranitidine for 6 weeks and told me this was an older style drug - the difference within a few weeks was unbelievable all of the symptoms went away. I have had to use it again a few times over the years and I also discovered that certain foods/drinks triggered it for me - tortilla chips, coffee, jelly beans, pineapple, fizzy drinks etc. He explained that even if symptoms went away in a short time I needed to stay on it for 6 weeks to allow my oesophagus to fully heal.
Hope this helps
Mav