Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: UTI  (Read 100 times)

Strugglinglady

UTI
« on: May 08, 2024, 04:53:27 AM »

Hi again everyone . I am still struggling with these damn urinary tract infections. I was going to use D mannose , which Urologist said was safe, but my pharmacist said they’re very hard on the kidneys if you’re older and I am 68. I have had an ongoing uti literally all year , I’m at my wits end. I had finished my antibiotic a week ago, and the other day started to feel very shivery and unwell, thought it was a virus as not the usual burning , that came this morning, so my symptoms are changing a little as I get older.. i had mild discomfort last week when I started to feel unwell , but I often do , so didn’t think it was the UTI back, but it is. I didn’t find the Urologist very helpful at all.. anyone got any great new ideas?

Jules

Re: UTI
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2024, 07:20:30 AM »

My GP once mentioned putting me on a continuous low dose of ABs. I also take a profalactic AB after sex as that's usually the trigger. Use of topical estrogen has helped. That was advised by the Gyny-Urinary consultant.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: UTI
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2024, 08:01:13 AM »

This is so draining and makes 1 miserable.  I had to spend days on the loo and ABs did ease symptoms until I was diagnosed with VA.

Have urine samples been sent to a Lab for testing -I may have asked previously  :-\ - to determine which 'bug' is growing so that appropriate anti-biotic therapy can be prescribed?   3 days isn't enough if the sample is positive.  Some find that they need a few weeks if they are able to tolerate the medication.

Also, strugglinglinglady - have U been prescribed pessaries or cream for vaginal atrophy which can mimic repeated urine infection-type symptoms really really well?  Brows the 'bladder issues' and VA treads on the Forum.  make notes.  Also get a referral from your GP to a dedicated menopause clinic - there are waiting lists, if symptoms eventually improve you can cancel the appt.