Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Starting HRT - Surgical menopause / hysterectomy - when will it kick in??  (Read 37 times)

velo-femme

• First Flush

Hi everyone -

I am new here and looking for someone else possibly with a similar experience to me.

I am 55 and have been having symptoms - hot flushes/lack of sleep/brain fog for about 2 years now, right when my periods starting becoming less regular. But then over the past year I had some fibroid issue so had to sort that out... it got so big that I had to have a hysterecomy in Jan. Overall the surgery went ok. I kept my ovaries as the surgeon said they looked heatlhy, but my tubes/uterus, cervix was removed.

So now that I have recovered from the surgery, the hot flushes have now returned! My GP just perscribed me an estrogen patch over the phone (its 50 dose). I am just wondering... how long before it starts working? As I no longer have a uterus, I dont need progesterone as well... but how long before I know if the dose is too low? I see things on the internet from "a few weeks" to "3 months". Would like someone who has some experience to share it.

Before I had my surgery I was still getting my periods at age 55, even the day before I was still bleeding! So I am probably still having some natural estrogen left, although probably not too much...

thanks for listening!

I really hope these hot flushes will end soon as I cannot sleep.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

:welcomemm:   hysterectomy is major surgery so it may take a while for the body to readjust. 

MayB keeping a mood/food/symptom diary would be useful.  Your ovaries will continue to perform a little so try not to rush ;-).  Hopefully some1 will be along with advice about the HRT.