Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Throat infections & use of antibiotics for a bacterial infection  (Read 7952 times)

Katejo

Re: Throat infections & use of antibiotics for a bacterial infection
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2017, 12:29:10 PM »

How R U this morning?
See my last entry  from this morning :)  have just bought the difflam spray. Found it hard not to just swallow it

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2017, 12:30:57 PM »

Let us know how you get on with it?

Claireylou

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2017, 12:55:49 PM »

Really hope it works for you Katejo. We've always got some in the cupboard now!

Let us know how you get on  :)

Katejo

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2017, 01:33:24 PM »

Really hope it works for you Katejo. We've always got some in the cupboard now!

Let us know how you get on  :)
So far I haven't noticed any improvement. Perhaps I didn't squirt enough in but the bottle is small and I didn't want to use it up at first attempt. As i mentioned above, I couldn't get it to my throat without swallowing it.

Claireylou

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2017, 01:35:38 PM »

The spray does take some getting used to. When my throat is sore I tend to gargle with the liquid, I find it a bit easier

CLKD

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2017, 02:51:50 PM »

....... gargle then spit  :-\ ?

Katejo

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2017, 07:59:49 PM »

Almost over this at last.   :)  Back to work tomorrow.

Claireylou

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2017, 08:01:19 PM »

Really pleased you're feeling better Katejo  :)

daisysareyellow

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2017, 09:32:41 PM »

I had a throat infection/cold back in April and lost my voice. I didn't go to a GP because i was sure that it was a virus. I have another now which is different. It started with a scratchy throat and headache on Sunday so i thought i was getting a cold but the cold symptoms didn't develop.
Yesterday i still had a sore scratchy throat, husky voice and a slight temperature but i thought it was past the worst. I was taken by surprise when I woke up with an unbearably sore throat and virtually no voice at all. I suspect that it is a bacterial one rather than a virus.

I don't really want to take antibiotics for it. However I read something which surprised me a lot. It said that, without antibiotics, a patient remains infectious for 2-3 weeks, well after the symptoms have cleared. In comparison, when taking an AB, the patient is no longer infectious after 24 hours. have any of you heard of this?

Hi Katejo
My older brothers are both doctors and we have this discussion on antibiotics regularly. Viral and bacterial infections can be similar in their presentation. It is far better to resist the urge to get antibiotics as they are becoming resistant. Many doctors here will not prescribe them (Australia) as they are so overused and usually for the wrong purpose.

Katejo

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2017, 08:05:03 PM »

I had a throat infection/cold back in April and lost my voice. I didn't go to a GP because i was sure that it was a virus. I have another now which is different. It started with a scratchy throat and headache on Sunday so i thought i was getting a cold but the cold symptoms didn't develop.
Yesterday i still had a sore scratchy throat, husky voice and a slight temperature but i thought it was past the worst. I was taken by surprise when I woke up with an unbearably sore throat and virtually no voice at all. I suspect that it is a bacterial one rather than a virus.

I don't really want to take antibiotics for it. However I read something which surprised me a lot. It said that, without antibiotics, a patient remains infectious for 2-3 weeks, well after the symptoms have cleared. In comparison, when taking an AB, the patient is no longer infectious after 24 hours. have any of you heard of this?

Hi Katejo
My older brothers are both doctors and we have this discussion on antibiotics regularly. Viral and bacterial infections can be similar in their presentation. It is far better to resist the urge to get antibiotics as they are becoming resistant. Many doctors here will not prescribe them (Australia) as they are so overused and usually for the wrong purpose.
  Hi Daisysareyellow  Yes I am fully aware of what you say and try to avoid AB's whenever possible for those reasons. I was just surprised to read about the possibility of remaining infectious after all symptoms had cleared due to not taking an AB course. Staying off work and remaining at home for 3 weeks would be very difficult. Most employers would expect staff members to return earlier than that.

CLKD

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2017, 12:21:14 PM »

A swab could show how infectious a person might be but it costs money  ::)

:foryou:
Pages: 1 2 [3]