Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Children  (Read 9725 times)

cubagirl

Re: Children
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2017, 05:44:33 PM »

Dulciana just as well it wasn't an Aberdeen rowie.   ;D

dulciana

« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2017, 09:07:22 PM »

Now that would have been fun!

Ju Ju

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2017, 01:46:33 AM »

When I was a young teacher, I worked in the South of England. Many of the children came from the nearby army camp. For a time, a Scottish regiment was in residence. The teachers in the classes either side of my class were also Scottish and even the visiting speech therapist was Scottish. When one of the teachers taught her class a poem, they all recited it with Scottish accents, including the English children. I started to feel I had stumbled into a little bit of Scotland!

cubagirl

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2017, 08:22:32 AM »

That made me smile, remembering our son as a 5/6 year old. He wasn't an avid reader like his sister & we tried various things to get him interested. I was doing a stint in a P1 class whilst training as a nursery nurse. Having got nowhere with his own teacher, I asked the teacher of this P1 class & she suggested that story tapes with books may help. So duly purchased & son listened every night with great enthusiasm. One night he said "I don't need the tapes any more, I can read the book." He read it word for word, complete with American accent. It was a Disney tape, he'd chosen.   ;D ;D ;D

nearly50

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2017, 10:06:39 AM »

Aye. We've all got our regional variations. I've used many words with my English colleagues to their complete bafflement. They think I'm a complete numpty

A while ago, our daughter, who grew up in Scotland but now lives in Bristol, went into a local shop and asked for bread rolls.  They didn't have a clue what she meant.    :-\

It's anything with the letter r in it that causes confusion, isn't it? There's just no way for us to unroll the r!

Now I'm thinking of the Burniston episode where they're trying to get the lift to go to floor eleven, haha.

Ju Ju

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2017, 10:26:49 AM »

Well, I couldn't be an honorary Scot then! Can't roll my 'r's! Singing in Italian is a bit of a problem, along with not having a clue what I'm singing! Italians too roll 'r's with relish.

nearly50

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2017, 10:33:27 AM »

Well, I couldn't be an honorary Scot then! Can't roll my 'r's! Singing in Italian is a bit of a problem, along with not having a clue what I'm singing! Italians too roll 'r's with relish.

Ah, you don't need a Scottish accent or to be born here to be Scottish - don't worry about that. The more the merrier :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]