Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Testosterone or Magnesium  (Read 2667 times)

Yorkshire Girl

Testosterone or Magnesium
« on: July 03, 2017, 06:47:24 PM »

Hi all, thought I was lucky going through a surgical menopause quite easily, well that's all now changed. My symptoms now are tiredness more or less all day, palpitations mainly mild, low libido, feeling low & crying for no reason except maybe frustration, anxiety on & off, don't seem to have a problem with energy levels but do sometimes feel breathless, usually wake up with a fuzzy head/feeling like it's full of cotton wool & headaches frequently. I have a feeling when I mention all this to my GP on Wednesday she'll up my dose from Everol 50 to 75mg patches. I'm hoping those with more experience of menopause might be able to help whether any of these symptoms could be down to lack of testosterone and/or Magnesium deficiency, maybe even adrenal glands. Any help/advice appreciated. Thanks X
Ps i found Menopause Doctor website by Louise Newsam, just before I started typing this, so I'm going to see what info I can glean from that, might wish I could seen it before now!!

Hurdity

Re: Testosterone or Magnesium
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 07:39:27 PM »

Hi Yorkshire Girl

I would say unlikely due to Magnesium deficiency if your diet is good - and especially as you have been through surgical menopause. Do you eat a good healthy varied diet with plenty of fresh ingredients, few processed foods, and reduced carbs, sugar and excess unnecessary fats? You should be fine with this (re Magnesium) unless you have a stomach/digestive condition (eg Crohn's?) which could limit absorption from your food?

There are uses for magnesium for medicinal purposes but this is different from having a generalised deficiency.

Your hormones will be totally up the creek after your op! Not sure of your age and where in menopause you were before your op but 50 mcg is a standard medium HRT post-meno dose for those with ovaries. I am taking 62.5 mcg ( officially 50 mcg  ::) ) and I'm in mid 60's. Also depends on how long since your op. Yes you should be offered testosterone if your ovaries were also removed and you are experiencing those symptoms -  lack of libido would clinch this ie if your libido is very healthy, good orgasms etc then those symptoms are probably due to something else although your T levels will definitely be reduced. Could you ask to be referred to e menopause clinic to tests how well yuo are absorbing the oestrogen - after surgical menopause it can be more tricky to tell.

There is also a surgical menopause thread you might like to visit.

In a nutshell - I would say yes to an increased oestrogen dose and also consider T replacement. 

Hope you see in improvement whatever you decide :)

Hurdity x

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 08:00:08 PM »

Hi Hurdity early menopause I'm 44, had my op Dec last year. Yes I've seen been the surgical menopause thread, but not recently. Yes I eat pretty healthily, I struggle with carbs as I love my various seeded & wholemeal bread, never white though!! I've cut sugar right down thanks to some lovely baking ideas from Hemsley+Hemsley & others, always cook from scratch. X

Tempest

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 09:13:31 PM »

Hi, Yorkshire girl!

I'm very sorry to hear you're struggling. I must admit I hit a 'wall' about a year after surgery too.

My advice would be - try BOTH. You have nothing  to lose, and I can categorically say that magnesium has helped me with heart palps. and adrenal surges. There is good research out there that exogenous estrogen depletes magnesium, and as I stated before the well respected Dr. Vliet always prescribes magnesium to women receiving estrogen only HRT.

I would then visit your GP and discuss a possible dose increase of estrogen and addition of testosterone too.

Anything we can do to improve our quality of life is well worth considering!

Much love! xxxxx