Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Weevils  (Read 7006 times)

Mbrown001

Re: Weevils
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2017, 07:04:00 PM »

Don't think your mouth would water in a good way of you saw a weevil.

I think the manufacturer and the supermarket should really be held to account. I would be getting in touch with environmental health to be honest.

Taz2

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2017, 07:58:27 PM »

We've had weevils lots of times and they are a pain to get rid of from cupboards but they are not poisonous and wont harm you if eaten although it's probably not a nice thought. It is difficult for foodstuffs to be kept clear of this sort of insect to be honest.

The weevils in flour are tiny. The info on this site is good https://h2g2.com/edited_entry/A87746313 

Taz x

Cazikins

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2017, 08:48:08 PM »

I used to work in a warehouse that sold animal/pet food! Weevils cropped up several times & they were a bugger to get rid of in those days (20+ years ago).
The owner of the business went ballistic when they use to appear as she knew it was difficult to get rid of them - plus the customers would be horrified if they got a bag of dog food/bird seed/ewe nuts with them in it & soon be on the phone to us ranting & raving.
Sainsburys and their supplier should be worried. this is not acceptable this day & age!
No one pays good money to bring this into their homes.
Cazi x

babyjane

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 02:50:25 PM »

when we were teenagers my husband's mother had silverfish in her kitchen cupboards, they were stubborn and a nuisance but they didn't get in the food and they were just always in there  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2017, 03:07:04 PM »

I have silverfish too. Fascinating. They aren't in the cupboards though just in the downstairs cloakroom.

Taz x

Mbrown001

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2017, 05:08:29 PM »

They would have to go as far as I'm concerned.

I know we share our living spaces with....umm...things. But if they are big enough for me to see them then they are out  ::)

I still think Sainsbury's should be reported. There will be weevils all over that warehouse and that's not good enough.

margaret

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2017, 06:11:47 PM »

Spoke to someone at Sainsbury's today, I think they might be paying for the pest control man, I have to send a photo of the receipt, have to work out how to do it on my phone first though  ::)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 07:53:22 PM by margaret »

Mbrown001

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2017, 07:29:55 PM »

Have you got in touch with environmental health Margaret.
Think how many contaminated things are just waiting to go into someone else's house.

Please report them.

margaret

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2017, 07:57:28 PM »

I think because they offered me a voucher, Enviromental Health won't do anything

Mbrown001

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2017, 08:19:24 PM »

I think you will find that they will to be honest.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2017, 09:57:10 PM »

If you accepted the Voucher Env. Health may well not want to be involved. 

Silverfish are one of our oldest critters, unchanged from 1000s of years back.  Apparently they like warm damp places and eat paper, dust, books ...... we had them when we lived in a very old Mansion which was rarely warm  ::).  They hated the light and would dash under the skirting boards ..........

Most food stuffs are packed in huge plastic covers on - what do fork lift trucks move around  :-\ - oh, pallets.  We buy in bulk and the amount of 'stuff' there always amazes me.  The turn around is fast so I doubt if there will be an infestation in the warehouse itself.  However  :-X ....... add the recent hot weather into the mix ........

Taz2

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2017, 11:05:46 PM »

The weevils can get into the flour at any stage of it's production. This aticle seems to give an account of what will be followed up by food standards agency - it has to pose a health risk and weevils etc. don't so you are supposed to take it up with the manufacturer I think https://www.rbkc.gov.uk/business-and-enterprise/regulation/food-safety/food-complaints

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2017, 01:02:23 PM »

Tnx Taz
Pages: 1 [2]