Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: GP says Ovestin licence means I must take a break. Help!  (Read 5810 times)

TinaOptimist

Re: GP says Ovestin licence means I must take a break. Help!
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2017, 05:38:32 AM »

I know but my doctor is unlikely to listen to me. How do I read your article ? Do I need to subscribe? If the NICE guidelines are advising doctors they must ask patients to take a 4 week break how can I make a case against it? I told her she was forcing me to go private. I have all the other issues of pelvic pain and medication alongside this to sort out and I feel I'm losing the battle :( Why is it all so hard? It's causing me such distress. Ovestin has really helped my bladder issues. How am I going to survive a 4 week break. Why do the NICE guidelines for Ovestin state the need to take a break if it is understood that women need it long term. Maybe I need to ask Dr Currie how to get round this with my doctor because I can't see a way at the moment.
Thanks for trying to support me Maryjane but I really feel up against it all.

Maryjane

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2017, 07:31:50 AM »

The NICE guidelines don't say such a thing as far as I am aware ? Where does it say it ?

TinaOptimist

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2017, 09:57:15 AM »

If you go back to dahliagirl's first reply in this thread she has done a link to the NiCE guidelines for Ovestin use. It states it there that there should be a 4 week break every 2/3 months!! It's in black & white. :(

Maryjane

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2017, 10:06:18 AM »

Oh gosh sorry , anyway EVERY professional I have seen has said DO NOT stop treatment , as will come back and for some worse , and harder to get on top of.

VA is for life and can't by cured, very odd statement as we are allowed to use HRT for life as per the guidelines and there is no stop date , it's up to us ladies , as per the seminar I went to on Thursday.

With two of the panel who wrote part of the guidelines.

TinaOptimist

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2017, 10:16:01 AM »

I agree with everything you have said but I have to convince my doctor. I don't know if she will listen :( I'm just so fed up about it all. We all know what is good practice but those NICE guidelines for Ovestin are stating something else.

Maryjane

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2017, 10:22:32 AM »

Write to Dr Currie £25.00 is where I would start , and if necessary either take it further re complaint or go private I am afraid .

As we no shouldn't have to however . Mr Panay has 90 year olds on full HRT , my gynae said you must stay on local treatment for life.

dahliagirl

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2017, 10:55:33 AM »

The link I gave was for the British National Formulary which seems to be part of NICE.  It does not agree with the NICE guidelines on menopause  ::)  There is a disparity.  Maybe it takes time to catch up.........  I expect it dates from the 'smallest amount for the shortest time' dogma following the Millenium and other study scares.

I too think it is worth the £25 to ask for clarification from an expert.

Sooze

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2017, 03:01:46 PM »

So I've been prescribed Vagifem internally & Ovestin externally by my gynaecologist.  Currently the regime that's working for me is Vagifem once a week (I can do up to 3 times/week if I need to) and a small amount of Ovestin externally 4-5 days/week. 

To give you an idea how small an amount a tube is lasting around 3 months, and neither my GP or gynaecologist have mentioned anything about a break, probably because I'm not using it as per the info leaflet inside the pack, and the amount I am using is a lot less.

Is there anything saying Vagifem should be stopped in the same way?
S

TinaOptimist

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2017, 07:52:33 PM »

I know some women have been asked to take a break so I suspect there is guidance lurking somewhere.Going back to using Ovestin - I do use a tiny amount but my doc says I will need to take a break after 2 or 3 months so even if I use it sparingly it is the amount of months she is judging it all by not how many tubes. I'm going to email Dr Currie in the next few days to clarify it all.
Pages: 1 [2]