Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: London fire  (Read 14917 times)

nearly50

Re: London fire
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2017, 02:04:50 PM »

Always laugh at us calling those flats 'the high flats' as they're tiny compared to others. We used to always try to sneak in to have a go on the lifts when we were  wee as they were the only lifts in town.  ;D

Went to the demo but left when I saw a guy going round getting signatures. I recognised him as the poor boy who caught me when I fainted at one of these things last year, haven't got over making a slow of myself yet.

Wonder if May will last the week.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 02:22:41 PM by nearly50 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2017, 02:07:46 PM »

I think that she has to continue, who else .........  :-X

Pity the Government/Opposition of the day can't put their niggling to 1 side and all of them act like adults, I've been saying this since I was 17 and it ain't changed yet  :rant:.  There doesn't seem to be any unity  :'( they act like kids across the House and spend our money shouting each other down .........

nearly50

« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2017, 02:36:09 PM »

CLKD

« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2017, 02:52:33 PM »

Tnx.  "Fire routes and fire exits visually inspected on a daily basis " are you able to find out by whom?  Does each floor have an assigned person to pass an eye over routes and exits and is there a tick book I wonder. 

ITV sent a reporter round a block [can't remember where] to talk to the Chairman of the Residents' Association which had visible blue fire signs but there were no break-glass alarm boxes nor extinquishes (sp) ........ despite these being stated on the signage.  The use of fire fighting kit needs to be taught too ....... I don't think that I could pick up an extinguisher, break the seal and use it in time  :-\

Mbrown001

« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2017, 03:05:54 PM »

Oh we did that too nearly50 at the flats near us  ;D

Most of the blocks that I have been in or driven past have a clearly marked concierge office so presumably the checks are made by them.

I think you could probably do what it took to save your life CLKD. They are not that heavy.

A hotel is a short term measure CLKD. Not a home and she has promised them homes .....it could get very interesting to see how that is achieved.
I wonder how many had contents insurance. Everyone is going to need a lot of help not to mention counselling as they must have  gone through an experience that very few do fortunately.

Mrs Brown

CLKD

« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2017, 03:30:57 PM »

Not many people think about contents insurance sadly.  Or can't afford it probably.  A Hotel can become a 'home' if necessary in the short term but these folk haven't any items left  :-\. with which to make somewhere homely.   Photos is what I would miss the most  :'(

nearly50

« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2017, 04:19:03 PM »

Oh we did that too nearly50 at the flats near us  ;D

Haha, we used to walk to Prestwick Airport to have a go on theirs too, easily pleased in the 70s ;)

They could open up some of the empty flats owned by billionaires, that'd be a start (though I know it would require a change in law). Interesting that a majority of people supported Jeremy Corbyn on this one though. Wider issue of land banking such a big issue in London that really does need to be tackled.

cubagirl

« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2017, 05:16:04 PM »

I missed out on all that fun!   ;D No high flats beside us. I was such a goody two shoes I'd have been too scared anyway.

breeze

« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2017, 05:24:37 PM »

Apparently a lady that owns student flats is offering them free of charge.

Mbrown001

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2017, 08:06:13 PM »

Until the students need them  :-\

Goody two shoes CG  ;D

Nearly50. I used to work in the airport. Oh the ghostly stories I could tell

The news has gone a little quieter today I think and the mood a good deal somber.

Too much sensationalism for me. It's people lifes and it should not be used to sell papers.

Mrs Brown.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]