Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: How a thoughtless act can escalate  (Read 4360 times)

babyjane

How a thoughtless act can escalate
« on: June 07, 2017, 05:14:46 PM »

There was a bit of excitement in our street this morning when a rucksack was left on our front wall and no one saw who left it! The elderly man next door got very excited as he doesn't often go out or see anyone.  The elderly lady over the road was worried and the builders down the road thought it was probably left by some kids.  No one liked to look in the bag and we were on the verge of calling the police for advice after it was there for 2 hours.
In the meantime a charity bag distributor returned and collected the rucksack, she had left it because it was heavy!  The lady over the road tore into her for her thoughtlessness in these dangerous times and the young woman scuttled off with her bag, embarrassed, after I suggested she thought twice about leaving a bag unattended again.  Phew. 

cubagirl

Re: How a thoughtless act can escalate
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 05:30:08 PM »

Would have been prudent of charity lady to maybe have informed someone she was leaving a bag. Some folk don't think.

babyjane

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 06:01:48 PM »

absolutely cubagirl.  I would have been happy to keep the bag for her if she had asked and explained.  There were plenty of people around this morning.

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 06:06:01 PM »

Hello ladies.

When I was young and growing up in London we had many such scares because the IRA had moved their bombing campaign to the mainland. We adapted as you do. Now of course the situation in Ireland is very different and the terror threat has subsided. Let's hope the current situation can also be resolved before any more people are killed and injured. Sad and scary times.

Take care all.

K.

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 06:09:56 PM »

Hello Kathleen, how are you today?

Some person on the TV the other day (can't remember who) said that it was possible to negotiate with the IRA, it is not possible to negotiate with ISIS as it is too abstract.

It is easy to get very fearful about the current situation, we just have to be very vigilant, hence the quandary about a simple backpack on our garden wall  ::)

Mbrown001

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 06:30:27 PM »

I honestly don't think that terrorists  targets include residential areas....forgive me BJ as I don't know where you live.

They hit high profile targets and really nothing else.

I can understand the concern but to be honest I would have ignored it and if it hadn't been collected by the next day it would have gone beside my bin.

Living where I do we were very aware of the IRA, not as a target but because of sympathisers. The issues between religions is endemic in my part of the world.
When my hubby moved to Scotland he simply didn't get it.  To be honest he still doesn't.
Our schools were segregated, our housing estates. They even had different times when the schools came out to avoid fights. The children didn't understand what they were fighting over but they fought none the less.
There were some scary times in my part of the world and I stay in the back end of nowhere  ::)

Mrs Brown

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 07:11:18 PM »

You left it there for HOW long  :o - 10 mins. and I would have contacted the Police for advice.  Now that would have been exciting  ;D

There was a time when the IRA couldn't be negotiated with and there are still troubles over there  :'(