Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Melatonin to get to sleep  (Read 4248 times)

Peroxideblader

Melatonin to get to sleep
« on: July 03, 2017, 01:51:06 PM »

Hi there as some will probably know I'm having a 4 year long battle with delayed sleep onset disorder it's 3 or 4am every night..I won't go into what I've already tried but I'm trying melatonin at the moment but as it's not available in uk I ordered 1mg extended release melatonin from USA.  I tried the 1mg tablet just before bed no help then 2 hours before bed no help so took 2 tablets =2mg both scenarios no help. Has anyone used a higher dose and had success and how long before going to bed did you take it bearing in mind it's to get me to sleep not keep me asleep.  I've read online in USA they start at 3mg lowest and find 5mg helps to get to sleep but before I take 5 tablets I'd rather hear off people on here I trust thank you

Milamam

Re: Melatonin to get to sleep
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 04:36:49 AM »

Hi!

I have used Melatonin often when I used to travel extensivelly overseas. I have always used 3mg taken at least 1 hour before bedtime. Always worked perfectly! I think 1 mg might be too low.

Milamam

Peroxideblader

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 10:48:51 AM »

Thank you I'll try 3 tablets tonight instead as 2mg  doesn't help. It's maybe that it won't work for me but as it's the getting to sleep I can't do i think it's my circadian cycle that's all to pot and melatonin is supposed to try and reset it over a few months..I'll give the higher dose a try thank you

Peroxideblader

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 11:10:32 AM »

Hi I haven't taken 3mg yet as I've been ill but mine are 1mg extended release would you recommend taking 3 tablets together and about 2 hours before bed ?? Thanks

Milamam

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 06:48:13 PM »

Hi Peroxiblader,

If you have the extended release ones, try 2 x 1mg and see how you go on. If not, I would just go for 3mg /night.  The extended release ones give you a more constant dose throughout the night thus preventing the dreaded wake up at silly-o-clock.

Note: no wine or beer with melatonin, will make you feel really dizzy.

I hope you will feel better!

Milamam

Peroxideblader

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 08:03:38 PM »

Hi there I've tried 2 x 1mg it didn't help so I'll try 3 x 1mg see how I get on I dont hold out much hope ...thanks again though

Woodlands

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 11:36:59 AM »

Hi there.
This is readily prescribed to children in the UK with sleep issues at the same dose as adults once over 12.
Who told you it isn't available in the UK?....if its your GP they seem more concerned with the cost than your health..please challenge and get prescrobed what you need.
6mg dose is generally ok.....avoid all caffiene,alcohol and smoking x

Dana

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 09:14:16 PM »

Melatonin is very hit and miss. Works for some people and doesn't for others. It never worked for me. Be very careful about taking larger doses. More is not better. Our bodies naturally produces a very small amount so when you take large doses you can get side effects like headaches, depression, vivid dreams and it can even cause insomnia. Avoid buying it online because there is no regulation and could contain contaminants.

Peroxideblader

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 10:42:52 AM »

Hi sorry for the late reply. I had to order online as my doctor won't prescribe it but it was a recommended site. I went up to 3mg but no luck. I don't know whether to try a 5mg one you melt under your tongue or if it's just not for me

AnnieR66

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 08:37:20 AM »

Hi, I have used 3mg with great success, 10.30pm is supposed to be the best time to take it and go to bed at 11.I find it works better if you take it once in a while.I expect like a lot of things your body gets too used to it!

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 09:21:37 AM »

My doc prescribes a melatonin product but only under strict guidelines and only if you are over 55 - I think it's called Circadian or something like that?

It appears to be used less in children nowadays but that might be just my health authority.

Taz x