Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Anxiety and depression  (Read 2102 times)

Honey2015

Anxiety and depression
« on: May 17, 2017, 07:28:10 PM »

Hi I'm new have had a really difficult time with menopause depression and nervousness .im on antidepressant venaflexine 225 and femoston1/10 I find that I'm still nervous and tearful especially before a bleed.this month I'm back on progesterone part of femoston and still no bleed.i feel very tearful and nervous. I do lots of exercise ,meet with friends but feel down and nervous.im seeing psychiatric privately to get this sorted and get on with my life .i lost 2stone and lost interest in life .would increasingly the femoston to 2/10 help.any advice really appreciated .this website really helps me feel I'm not going mad .

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Anxiety and depression
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 09:40:26 PM »

Depression can sometimes be made worse as hormones rise and fall at menopause.  Were you taking ADs prior to noticing The Change?  Does this AD help, would a hike in dosage make a difference?  Did your GP prescribe this for the depression or to help with anxiety?

How quickly did you lose the weight? 

I take an AD, a betablocka and have an emergency drug to take when anxiety floors me.  Rescue Remedy can ease anxiety as can gentle exercise, yoga, swimming, walking, cycling ........ relaxation therapy too but that needs practice and when I felt well, I forgot  ::)

Honey2015

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 09:49:20 PM »

Yes I had depression before this episode and I lost the weight in 4weeks  took a period and did not have one for a few months .GP increased dose and then started Hrt  but symptoms continued and so changes AD . I think maybe increase in oestrogen might be helpful  . I do lots of exercise to help.I generally feel better in the evenings but terrible in morning and when I'm on my own.Thanks for your advise

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 09:52:59 PM »

I am like that, if I have to face a busy day anxiety is there.  Once my commitments are done, by evening I'm a different person so have learned not to agree to anything after tea-time  ::) because by morning, I will be floored! 

What exercise regime do you have, we have threads on cycling, yoga, gardening, dogs, walking .........

R U able to eat little and often rather than relying on regular meal-times, I tend to eat B4 my body feels hungry to avoid that awful dip!

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 12:10:29 PM »

Hi Honey2015 - sorry your time on the forum was only short-lived and maybe you didn't get the answer you wanted (about HRT). So sorry if this was the case. The forum is very big and busy now and those who post come and go and have busy lives. I alternate between the All Things Menopause and New Members and hardly ever visit the other boards - just popping in to comment about Woodpeckers and hailstorms on This and That, now and again! Even so I only catch up with a small number of posts on these boards and some I never read at all, and I think other members are the same.

If you are reading this please do consider re-joining as members of the forum can help support you when you are feeling down.

In answer to your question - it depends where you are in menopause and how old you are. If some of your  symptoms are cyclical and hormonal - ie like pms - and you are early in peri-menopause, it is difficult to know how to counter this as taking HRT still involves a cycle. it could just be the progestogen part of the HRT affecting you, or your own cycle. Yes it could be that trying Femoston 2/10 would help especially if you are late in peri-menopause and your own oestrogen levels will have dropped. If you are not getting a bleed it sounds like your cycle might well have weakened and a higher dose could well help.

Also some women do not absorb tablet HRT so well so a trans-dermal route might be preferred. If moods swings are a probkem and you are under 50 then the newer type od contraceptive pill QLAIRA might help as this controls the cycle and the oestrogen is the same as in your current HRT, and there are only 2 tablet free days. You would need to be able to tolerate the progestogen part of this though.

I hope you read this and it is helpful - and you consider rejoining. :)

Take care

Hurdity x