Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Newbie here - Prempak C discontinued- Indivina 2/5 given and now Femm7Conti  (Read 4707 times)

squeezy

Hi everyone

I am 49 and have been on Prempak C 1.25mg for 12 months.  I have been fine on it, a little weight gain and a two day withdrawal bleed but apart from that I have tolerated it very well and it has been an absolute god send for me.

Yesterday I went to get my 3 monthly prescription and was told it had been discontinued.  It wasn't my normal doctor I saw and I was given Elleste Duet 2mg as a replacement, however after reading the boards on here, I'm not sure it's the best choice for me.

I suffer with hot flushes, night sweats, foggy brain, headaches, very low mood and paranoia when not taking HRT, so it really isn't an option to not take anything.

I haven't had a period in maybe 18 months and would love to know if any of you had any advice for me on what my options could be.

I have an appointment tomorrow with my normal doctor and would like to be a little informed going in there.

Thanks in advance :) :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 10:17:52 AM by squeezy »

Hurdity

Re: Newbie would love some help - Prempak C discontinued.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 12:30:20 PM »

Hi squeezy

:welcomemm:

If this product agrees with you then the nearest you can get is to go for separate oestrogen and progestogen.  Premarin is available at the highest dose of 1.25 mg https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatafter.php and you would need to take a separate progestogen with this - usually MPA/Provera is the one that is prescribed with this oestrogen. https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php.  The continuous combined PRE- HRT types (equine oestrogens) have this progestogen as you will see here https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/postmeno.php - but these are for post-menopausal women (which you may be if you are not having a bleed on your current cyclical HRT), and don't come in the higher dose.

You could always try a completely different type as suggested but what you are on is probably the highest dose of the combi types so the others may not match this in terms of effectiveness.

Good luck tomorrow and let us know what you decide :)

Hurdity x

squeezy

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 02:19:30 PM »

Hi Hurdity

Thank you so much for the warm welcome, taking the time to answer my question and give me some great advice, I feel more informed now.

My doctor did mention a few months ago that I might be able to change to a conti pill/patch and suggested Femoston, because I hadn't had a period for over 12 months. 

Can you recommend a conti pill or patch that would give me the dosage that I need or is that really not the way to go.

Squeezy

squeezy

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 10:05:54 AM »

Hi Hurdity

I had my appointment this morning and I took your recommendations with me and the doctor has prescribed me a 28 day course of what you suggested, Premarin and Provera.

Picking them up from the chemist later and will go back in a month to let her know how I'm getting on, I did say if there was a hole chewed in the surgery door, then she would know that they weren't working lol!!

Squeezy x

squeezy

Thanks Stella

The plot thickens lol.

I got to the chemist to pick up the prescription and I had been prescribed Indivina 2mg/5mg as the chemist said that Premarin/Provera is not available.

So I have started on that for 28 days to see how I get on.

Anybody any experience of Indivina?

Thanks  :)

Hurdity

Hi squeezy

I'm not sure why they've said this combo is not available. Provera definitely is still licensed, but I know some of the PRE types are being discontinued. I wasn't aware that Premarin was and it is still listed on MIMS online. if you want this combo then you should go back to the pharmacist and explain you are taking them separately. They should be able to order them in if not there at the time.

I mean you can try Indivina but you are going from the highest dose of conjugated equine oestrogens to medium dose estradiol, and while the progestogen is the same the oestrogens are different and half strength.

Also you were on sequential HRT before ( ie gives withdrawal bleed) and you have been given a continuous combined preparation. Did your doc suggest taking both oestrogen and progestogen every day because you haven't had a bleed on sequential HRT? Personally if you are changing HRT type I would have preferred to stay with a cyclical/sequential HRT so that at least you can work out if the oestrogen and the progestogen agree with you - otherwise if you get any symptoms you won't know quite why - even if you start the Indivina (sometimes women don't do well on continuous progestogens).

Having said all that -  you may well be fine!!!! Do let us know how you get on anyway :)

Hurdity x

squeezy

Hi Hurdity

Sorry I haven't responded until now, had a few family things take over.

Anyway have been on the Indivina 2/5 for 3 months now and have just had it changed again to Fem seven conti patches.

I have gained 1.5 stone in 3 months since starting the Indivina and have also in the last 6 weeks not coped very well, all the menopausal symptoms came back with a vengeance, so went back to the docs and have now been put on the patches, I'm not holding out much hope for these either, however I'm willing to give them a go.

Onwards and upwards 😃

Squeezy x