Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Newbie - struggling without HRT patches (out of stock!!)  (Read 2981 times)

Lulu12

Newbie - struggling without HRT patches (out of stock!!)
« on: May 08, 2017, 09:40:25 PM »

Hi there
I've loitered on MM for a couple of years now gathering info from many of you knowledge ladies on here.
Finally decided to join today.
My story is that I'm post meno, last period about 5 years ago. I didn't start suffering with symptoms until a couple of years ago. Then I started with hot flushes which became progressively worse, particularly at night. Headaches, palpitations, depression and anxiety were also a problem, but I found the symptom that bothered me the most was the brain fog. Going from a fairly together person to one who could barely get through the day at work.
I eventually went to my GP who put me on Femseven Conti. I was lucky in that these suited me well. They didn't give me total relief from all my symptoms but the flushes disappeared and the other symptoms were much improved and I was fairly happy.
However, at the beginning of April when trying to cash my prescription I was told they were out of stock at the suppliers. I rang the suppliers and was told they'd be back in stock at the end of April. On ringing then, I was then told 7th May but alas they are still out of stock.
As I've been without a patch since the second week in April, all of my symptoms have gradually returned. I feel incredibly anxious and my brain fog is back with a vengeance!!
My GP gave me a prescription for an alternative patch, Evorel Conti, despite me saying a couldn't have these as they contain norethisterone and I've had problems when taking this in the past. I have a complicated medical history and patches are really the better option for me.
So I'm just struggling to get by until the Femseven is back in stock. Every day seems to be hard work particularly at work where I have to put on a big act and try and keep it together, when I really just want to walk out the door and go home!!
I just hope that once I'm finally back on the patches that I don't find myself in this position again.
Are any of you in a similar position i.e. can't get hold of your patches?
Sorry for rambling, but I think it's helped just writing this down!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Newbie - struggling without HRT patches (out of stock!!)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 10:38:49 PM »

It's a wicked way to treat patients  :bang: :bang: :bang:

Hopefully someone will be along with advice.  Have you tried all the Chemists in your area?

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 11:16:17 PM »

Hi Lulu. What a pain for you  - you need to ring around all of the pharmacies in your area to see how quickly they could get you the patches. You can retrieve your prescription from the chemist, who has it at the moment, if you do find one who can supply it for you.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Lulu12

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 07:30:29 AM »

Hi Ladies
Thanks for the welcome and kind words.
Yeh, I've tried all the chemists in the area and none of them have any.
I'm going to ring the suppliers at lunchtime for an update.
I was told at the chemist on Sunday that it's usually a couple of weeks after they are back in stock with the supplier, that the chemist can get hold of them!!

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 08:53:31 PM »

My chemist is unable to get hold of my patches despite the make not being specified, so I have to get a new prescription and do a ring round as different chemists use different suppliers. This isn't the first time this has happened, so I now make sure I have a couple of weeks left on each of the items on my prescription. It's a ridiculous situation, which seems to be getting worse. I find it particularly annoying chasing around as I live several miles from the various chemists. Just as well I have a car.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 10:06:20 PM »

I think that mainland Europe will pay the Pharmaceutical Companies quicker than the NHS ........... which often causes a hold up  >:(

Lulu12

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 07:27:13 AM »

I've now been told they'll be in stock at the end of the week. I'm going to try to get an extra prescription out of my Dr, so this doesn't happen again!!

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 02:01:55 PM »

Hi Lulu12

Good news - and yes a good idea! I have recently had this trouble for the first time with Estradot - only giving me one month at a time so if a patch falls off I will be having to go back early and explain - I live in a rural area and doc/associated pharmacy is 9 miles away....

Hurdity x

:welcomemm:

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 05:12:59 PM »

Lulu12 - give your surgery the info and ask for an early prescription?

Lulu12

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 05:15:28 PM »

Hi Hurdity

Thanks for the welcome.
That's rubbish for you! You must be really fed up with this. Is there any reason why the Dr won't give you more? He/She must realise how difficult it is for you  :(
My Dr gives me 12 weeks at a time. I also had problems with them falling off at first (which I believe is common with Femseven Conti). I bought some Tegaderm film dressings off eBay to go over the patch, and these work a treat!
I just can't wait to get back on them.  Today has been particularly bad. I just feel like I want to burst into tears all the time, and palpitations and flushes at work were horrible. Just glad to get home!!

Lulu12 x

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 02:06:37 PM »

Hi Lulu12

It's a problem with Estradot manufacture so pharmacies are limiting the supply to patients. I took a while to hit rural SW England. yes the normal prescription is for 3 months supply - and this is really annoying having to keep going back every month!

It's not a good idea to stick the patches down with tape because you need to be sure that the patch itself is still stuck to the skin completely over its whole area, otherwise you won't get the same absorption.

Hope you get yours soon :)

Hurdity x