Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Vitamin D - it may not be all about the menopause  (Read 2389 times)

Chris2107

Vitamin D - it may not be all about the menopause
« on: May 10, 2017, 10:32:49 AM »

I have been on the floor with energy levels at an all time low. I put it down to other health issues and possibly the menopause. It wasn't. My GP checked my vitamin D levels and they were 27 against a normal of 50 or above. Three weeks after taking the prescribed dose I am like a spring chicken again - and thats with a reading of 40 - so still some way to go. So if you are feeling like your energy has been flushed away it may well be worth getting the vit D checked. Its only fairly recently that medicine has started to understand the critical role vit D plays in our body - quote from my GP. Hope this helps someone out there as quickly as it helped me. No more afternoon naps and desperate desire to be in bed by 6pm :D

dazned

Re: Vitamin D - it may not be all about the menopause
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 10:36:52 AM »

Thanks for reiterating that again for us. Many of us on here believe that taking Vit D helps enormously with many things  ::)

nearly50

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 10:48:39 AM »

You did well to get your levels up by 13 points in 3 weeks as it has taken me 18 months to get my levels up to 68 from about the same level as you. I was advised to keep supplementing so maybe a good idea to aim for beyond 50.

I do think it has maybe been the cause of the improvement in my muscle pain, though it is so hard to tell with the ups and downs of perimenopause.

Mbrown001

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 11:53:12 AM »

I'm having mine tested again at the end of the summer.
It's a crucial vitamin for good health and if you are low then living in Britain with our long dark winters cannot gaurantee that we have enough. A good diet helps too.

I really don't understand why we are all not routinely tested for this.

Mrs Brown

DaisyB

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 06:46:53 PM »

I take 3000iu in spray form every day. Have to say my energy is still very low. New chiropractor told me this week that I should have levels tested as it's possible to have too much in system ;) 

Otes73

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 10:25:43 AM »

My boss ended up with toxic vitamin D levels! She took more than the recommended dose, not much more though and ended up at the GP with terrible anxiety and fatigue. It came back that her levels were way too high which causes as many symptoms as too low! She had to stop supplementing for 12 weeks before a repeat blood test as it can take that long to leave the system and now stays on a monitored low dose!