Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: New and feeling so confused with my body  (Read 2342 times)

SarahJa

New and feeling so confused with my body
« on: April 24, 2017, 07:15:52 PM »

Hello so my first time on this forum and I'm feeling in a very confused state...

I'm 45 almost 46, I'd been on the pill cerazaette for a few years and towards last Autumn as I find myself single decided to come off it, I also wanted to see what my body did.

My periods restarted as normal and all my life I've been very routine 28 day cycle no severe pms generally all good.  Periods started and seemed fine for a couple of months.

Then suddenly 6 months later I find that they've become all over the place the last been only a 2 week gap followed by the most horrendous heavy bleed last weekend that wouldn't stop.

My body is changing, weight is gaining around my middle yet no diet change!  My joints ache, my hair feels limp and dry, I have the most irritating itchy clammy skin at times mainly at night, no night sweats though.   I'm developing hairs on my chin and to finish me off I now spend most of my life crying!  I actually feel a wreck.

I've been to the doctors this evening and suggested could I be experiencing perimenopause.    Is it a result of coming off the people but that was months ago and had previously been fine.   I was totally disregarded.   I've been told there is no point doing any checks until I've been period free for at least 6 months, only then will I know if I'm menopausal.    That I just have to manage these things.  That's it!

I actually walked out crying!   

I don't know what to think.  Am I misreading the signs.  I went for guidance and support as I feel I need it.   

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New and feeling so confused with my body
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 07:25:53 PM »

GPs need a  :kick: we KNOW our bodies!  My periods came and went for 2-3 days and then disappeared.  Some ladies have heavy periods which your GP can prescribe treatment for!  Blood tests are reliably un-reliable  ::) as the hormones are all over the place.

Maybe make a list of your symptoms, food/mood/symptom diary?  That will chart how you are. 

Have you gained weight?  As oestrogen levels drop off so muscles may become lax = aches and pains or loss of muscle tone.  My apron dropped suddenly so that I look fatter by the end of the day  >:(.  Laying down I look flatter  ::).

As oestrogen levels drop off so the body becomes dry: inside and out  >:(  ::).  Have a browse round and make notes.  The pains can be eased by over the counter pain relief as necessary.

Read my thread: "My Chin!" ;-).  Read the threads about vaginal atrophy too!

SarahJa

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 08:44:35 PM »

Thank you ladies  :) you have made me feel like I'm NOT going mad!  Exactly we do know our own bodies and my instincts are telling me what it is.  Yes I have gained weight and for no obvious reason plus in places I never have before.

I'm going to contact the practise in the morning and speak to the practise manager for advisement on seeing an alternative.  No GP should make you cry when you go for help.

Useful tips on keeping a diary etc and I shall be having a good browse, I feel this site is going to be very helpful. 

I'll read the thread on The Chin because those hairs grow at such a rate I can't keep up with them  >:(

Salad

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 10:32:29 PM »

Definitely sounds peri menopausal, now to find a GP interested in the menopause - welcome to our world  :welcomemm:

Mbrown001

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 09:38:17 AM »

I'm new here too and the support is great.

Finding a supportive GP shouldn't be hard but it is.

I've been on HRT for a while now and I have a young female GP that wants me off.
We really shouldn't have to prepare for a fight to get the medications that we need for quality of life but sadly it would seem that is exactly what we have to do.

I have found the information from the ladies here invaluable and for once I'm prepared to stand and fight for what I need.

Get all your facts together and go back and insist.

Good luck.

Mrs Brown

Bane

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 09:49:19 AM »

Hi sarah welcome to the forum a second opinion is always good. Our bodies change with time and it seems like  perimenopause...Good Luck!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 11:51:06 AM »

We shouldn't have to fight for treatment when we already feel ill  :-\

alyb1961

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 01:05:23 PM »

Hi ladies

I'm new to this forum too ...I feel so much better knowing there are ladies out there like me ...I've been going through the menopause for a year now ,trying to struggle on ,I've put weight on ,my joints ache my hair is thinning and for the first time in my life I have spots on my face ...finding a forum like this has been a godsend ....I really thought I was going crazy there has been days when I don't want to get up and go to work ,I've felt so alone ,I have tried not to burden anyone with my miserable symptoms...I've had hot flushes ,night sweats weight gain,bad mood swings and everything else .after having been fit and healthy all my life getting to 55 without having any menopause symptoms,I thought I was sailing through it ....but it all seems to have come together in one go ....my husband says he is going to live with my son for a while until I sort myself out ....I must admit I am a total bitch to him and I have no patience ....but finding this forum and reading your stories makes me feel human again ...thanks so much ...I'm not going to sit no cry anymore I'm sure we can all get through this together ... :) :) :)

SarahJa

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 01:56:41 PM »

I appreciate the comments - thank you!  It really does feel like we are here to support one another.  That gave me the push to contact my surgery this morning and raise my thoughts with the Practise Manager that its not appropriate to coming out of an appointment crying.    As your comments have shown me we are all going through various stages and although this is what is supposed to happen it doesn't mean we should suffer.   Amazingly I've been given an appointment with a different GP who is an expert in these matters and very understanding.  Roll on 9th May and by then I'll have researched and will be going along for a chat, hopefully my mood will be good that day but who knows  :)

alyb1961

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 02:19:24 PM »

Well done Sarahja ....like you have said ..we shouldn't have to fight with our GP , we do know our own bodies ,and definitely know when something is wrong ...since going onto HRT a month ago I do feel so much better even my sisters have told me I'm a different person ...so all is good at the moment ...the 9th May isn't too far away .....I hope you get sorted keep us informed on how it goes ......I know I feel like my life is back on track since taking HRT hopefully you will too .....