Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Anyone ever had bad bladder pain? Low E?  (Read 2576 times)

cjmca

Anyone ever had bad bladder pain? Low E?
« on: April 25, 2017, 03:55:15 PM »

I had posted here previously re: horrid bladder pain. I went into early meno in my early 20s, am now 34 and wasn't on HRT. 

I'm doing a fair bit better, but it's going to take up to a year for me to be back to normal again, I went that long without estrogen.  Briefly, I experienced horrendous bladder pain a few months ago, that had gradually got worse since last June. Started off with UTI feelings in June, normal cystoscopy in early July, but by October I could no longer lie on my side. Nobody could figure out why.  I was put on a very low dose of Estradot patch, no topical estrogen. Thankfully saw Nick Panay who immediately put me on the full whack of HRT.  My body loves it! 

But I just wanted to ask has anyone else out there experienced a high level of bladder pain from low estrogen? I managed to run 5k two weeks ago, really overall doing better, wearing jeans again with minor discomfort.  I use 2x Vagifem a day, the 100 Estradot patch which as of yesterday will be changing every 2 days. I've stopped taking daily progesterone as I've read this can irritate bladder (I guess by bringing down estrogen?), and will take this for 10 days every 8 weeks instead.

I had a withdrawal bleed that finished yesterday, and I forgot to change my patch also. I have forgotten to change patch before, and haven't had much change in bladder.  Does estrogen drop after a withdrawal bleed? Because today, I'm having a little relapse. Achy bladder.  I thought also maybe because last night I was working on my laptop in bed, and was working away without realising I rested the weight of the laptop on my pelvis. And I put a heavy microwaveable beanbag in the bed cos it was so cold, and happened to have it lying over my bladder.  I've gotten so used to switching off the pain, I didn't realise until I switched the laptop off and flipped over to lie on my belly that oops... bladder a little cranky.

I happened to see my gynae yesterday, unfortunately prior to the mini relapse. I said the bladder pressure was miles better but I still had urethral symptoms. Burning and the like.  She said exactly what I thought, that my bladder & bits were still healing and had a ways to go yet. Got a bollocking for running too! But I'm just relieved that I can physically do it, although my bladder mightn't like it much - tho it barely complained after I tried a hilly 5k. 

Sorry I'm waffling here - I just wanted to know had anyone else experienced any bladder healing blips? Just want to try and avoid them in future - low E after withdrawal bleed finishes? If so probably double whammy with forgetting to change patch. Bladder tissue still healing and weight on the area = bad?

Can anyone tell me with regards to topical estrogen, what's the strongest form? Vagifem? Estrace cream Ive read about but not seen it on the market in Ireland. Use Ovestin externally but according to gynae the levels of estrogen it it are so low it's not worth it.  I wasn't sure whether the Vagifem was reaching the urethra which is where I felt most of my symptoms prior to relapse.

Also wanted to mention, just to complicate things, that I just tested positive for ureaplasma.  I didn't test positive last Jan, but now have another half.. gynae doesn't think this causes any problems. Happen to be seeing Prof Malone-Lee in 2 weeks time. But wondered was ureaplasma irritating. Broth urine culture came back negative.

Jaysus aren't bladders such complicated pieces of kit!!

Annemaria

Re: Anyone ever had bad bladder pain? Low E?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 01:40:30 PM »

Hi cjmca,
I have been battling bladder pain with not too great success. Constant dull ache right above my pubic bone. I have been experimenting starting low to higher doses of Premarin vaginal cream for about 5 months. I'm at 1mg (full dose) daily now for two weeks and it still not completely healed. I have an appointment with my gp tomorrow to discuss other options.
Concerns I have that I may have IC.
Annemarie

cjmca

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 05:30:52 PM »

Have you noticed any improvement at all with the Premarin?  I took Vagifem twice a week after the initial daily load of two weeks, but don't think it was enough for me. Do you feel any different? It may require more time? Also systemic estrogen does have some effect. I just upped my estrogen from 100 Estradot patch changed twice a week, to changing it every 2 days, to get max benefit. Gynae said that'll give an extra boost to the bladder.

Since my post I went back to my physio and she evaluated my abdomen and pelvic floor, both tighter than a few weeks ago, definite trigger points. Also saw uro-gynae who I saw last year, he still feels that there could be low grade infection going on and wants me to take an antibiotic for 6 months. And he certainly wants me to take an antibiotic for the ureaplasma which he described as a "bladder pathogen". I'm seeing Professor Malone-Lee in less than two weeks so hopefully he'll be able to advise of any infection going on.

I think when you're in meno with bladder issues, well I've found this anyway, that it's a bit beyond a GP.  Are you in the UK?

cjmca

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 07:02:35 AM »

Just another note - my urethra has been bothering me recently, around 50% of the time I burn when I pee. Last night before I went to bed, I put a dollop of Ovestin directly on the urethra. When I was rubbing the cream in, the urethra felt irritated to me.  I woke up this morning and my urine stream was so strong I got a shock! And no burning, or spasm-y feelings either. Coincidence or not I don't know, but certainly going to persevere with the Ovestin now, even if sometimes it burns when I apply it. Reducing Vagifem down to once a day from twice - I'm a very extreme case so double dose of Vagifem is highly unorthodox, so don't recommend as standard treatment. But it certainly helped me get over the initial horrendous pain I was in, which has never returned, and I hope to god it never does!

Annemaria

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 02:21:47 PM »

Hi cjmca,
Yes, I have nasty bladder pain and finally feeling results with premarin cream. Like you, it finally starting to work after a long five months by using it daily at full dosage now for three weeks. Needless to say it's very annoying and messy. Not to mention my worries on account of the high dosage. My Dr. switched me to vagifem but I'm afraid it may return.
Thanks for your replies  :)
Oh...I'm not in the UK, I'm in British Columbia

Maryjane

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 03:31:04 PM »

CMJA I no lots of ladies who see Prof Malone , you will have  an infection as good as guarantee it. I have messaged you.

cjmca

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 04:42:23 PM »

Annemaria - it sounds as tho the bladder is just irritated by lack of estrogen. I was concerned I had IC too but highly doubt it now.

I don't think you should be worried about using the max dose of Premarin - are you on systemic HRT too or just using the cream?

Maryjane - I'm not sure I do have an infection, I sent off urine for broth culture to the US and it all came back negative. But I have separate to the broth culture tested positive for ureaplasma. Will see what Prof M-L says.

Maryjane

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 06:09:42 PM »

Re two vagifem a day I when I saw NP he told me us lots of ladies using that amount, I can't tolerate it so use the estring

cjmca

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 10:36:45 PM »

Hmmm I can't see the harm in it. Sure we were all using the 25 dose of Vagifem before it was discontinued and now there's just the 10  ::)  I think I need to check in with NP re: how long I should use it twice a day for.  As long as possible!

Maryjane

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 07:03:53 AM »

Two vagifem a week are the equivalent to one mg HRT does a year ( from what I have read / told ) so work it out not a lot .

I think money is the reason it was dropped being synical , as lots of ladies now need more doses a week so more vagifem prescribed more money to the pharmaceutical companies? 😏