Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Physically Aged so much in the last year ...questions about HRT!  (Read 6700 times)

lesley998

Hi all

I've not posted for a while but always keep my eye on posts.

Im not that vain...honestly....:)  but I have noticed I have aged significantly in the last few months.  I last had a proper bleed in 2013, and only HRT is Vagifem and mild topical estrogen and prog (Biovea) 

My face and skin is suddenly so saggy, more wrinkled, no youthfulness at all - sunken cheeks, hair breakage etc.

Last week was in a restaurant with husband and father in law....waitress thought I was my father in laws wife!  My husband is particularly young looking for 58 but I'm only 55 and I was horrified.   :-\

Before I just suck it up and get on with it,  does anyone think HRT helps to keep us looking younger?

Dorian Grey (lol)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 02:18:43 PM by lesley998 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Physically Aged so much in the last year ...questions about HRT!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 03:41:29 PM »

Sadly as oestrogen levels drop off so muscles may become lax = wrinkles and my apron has dropped  >:(

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 03:55:23 PM »

I used to think I was youthful looking because I'd been on oestrogen since I was 32 but not sure now.  My 2nd and 'natural' menopause started at 45 and I felt like I'd been run over by a truck, I felt I looked so much older and suddenly too that I didn't recognise myself.  It's amazing how even little things can rejuvenate you.  A different hairstyle, new make up etc and looking at your wardrobe

I was just plodding along with the same makeup and even changing that can make a difference and for Mother's Day my daughter surprised me with eyelash perming! My eyes look permanently (for as long as the perm lasts lol) open and bright as opposed to my curling them each day before.  I think when they need redoing I'll be booking them in again

And I wear clip in hair, thicker hair looks healthy which will make you feel better about yourself x

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 04:06:19 PM »

Maybe visit a good hairdresser and ask about new styles?  Also take a look at your foot wear because badly fitting shoes/boots can cause bad posture which instantly ages us.  New make-up which lightens the skin and can avoid shadows when applied - perhaps an hour with a 'counter' in a store such as John Lewis, i.e. Max Factor

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 04:56:36 PM »

I haven't worn make-up for over 20 years, due to my laziness in removing it  ::)

peri

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 06:51:50 PM »

I think it does.  Replacing oestrogen keeps everything plumped up (skin), it also gives you more energy which makes you appear more youthful.  The telltale sign for me though is the difference in my friends who do and don't take it, there is a noticeable difference in that the one's who do in that they all look younger x

lesley998

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 10:29:44 PM »

Thanks ladies. I would never consider surgery..too scared! And not that bothered.  It just seems to have all happened so quickly! One day I looked ok for my age...next thing my face just seems to have collapsed.  Oh, and why do I have fat everywhere else where I don't want it, and none in my face where I need it! Ah well.  I suppose if HRT was a magic facelift everyone would be taking it. 

Better stop looking in mirrors. 

samweller161

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 09:23:43 AM »

I agree on the comments that a) genes help, b) a good skincare regime from a young age and c) HRT all contribute towards a better complexion.  However, I also agree that the hands are a dead give-away!

Mum was quite lined from a young age so was giving me Oil of Ulay as it was then from about 10 years old to help with dry skin.  But I do take after my dad who was pretty line free up to his 70s.  I have noticed that my non HRT friends have more lines around their eyes but maybe this is because they smile a lot  ;D

If you really don't want to take HRT, then drink lots of water, have a new make over and see what the ladies on the counters suggest.  Wear clothing which complements your colouring and try and redcue any stress.  Oh and enjoy life! 

Good Luck

SP x

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 09:26:07 AM »

Yip Lesley- you seem to go from looking not bad on a good day ( in a bad light ) to haggard and not liking yourself very much. A lot of this you put down to lack of sleep, feeling crap etc etc . I'm not sure if HRT helps keep us youthful though.
I've always had good skin, hair and nails but no more. What's worked for years doesn't seem to work now so we need to reboot and take good care of ourselves with lifestyle changes, a good hairdresser and some new makeup.

I also believe that sunbathing is bad for you- stay pale or fake it is my mantra. That, smoking and drinking too much are massive contributory factors in the ageing process. I don't do the first two but cannot vouch that I'm teetotal although my tolerance for alcohol is much less now.

I try not to look in mirrors too much. Especially changing room ones! Aargh. Haggard and matronly all at the one time. How did that happen? X :boobs:

lesley998

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 09:55:42 AM »

Here we go!  ;D

Many of the effects of estrogen on human skin are based on the changes that are seen in post-menopausal women, with a number of studies documenting the differences seen following the menopause, although there is also a variation in skin thickness during the menstrual cycle, with skin thickness lowest at the start of the menstrual cycle, when estrogen and progesterone levels are low, which then increases with the rising levels of estrogen (Eisenbeiss 1998). Many women report a sudden onset of skin aging several months after menopausal symptoms begin. The menopause causes hypoestrogenism, accelerating age-related deterioration, which results in thinner skin, an increase in number and depth of wrinkles, increased skin dryness, and decreased skin firmness and elasticity (Brincat 2000). Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) has been shown to increase epidermal hydration, skin elasticity, skin thickness (Sator et al 2001), and also reduces skin wrinkles (Phillips et al 2001). Furthermore, the content and quality of collagen and the level of vascularization is enhanced (Brincat et al 1987).

lesley998

Annie0710

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 11:18:42 AM »

Here we go!  ;D

Many of the effects of estrogen on human skin are based on the changes that are seen in post-menopausal women, with a number of studies documenting the differences seen following the menopause, although there is also a variation in skin thickness during the menstrual cycle, with skin thickness lowest at the start of the menstrual cycle, when estrogen and progesterone levels are low, which then increases with the rising levels of estrogen (Eisenbeiss 1998). Many women report a sudden onset of skin aging several months after menopausal symptoms begin. The menopause causes hypoestrogenism, accelerating age-related deterioration, which results in thinner skin, an increase in number and depth of wrinkles, increased skin dryness, and decreased skin firmness and elasticity (Brincat 2000). Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) has been shown to increase epidermal hydration, skin elasticity, skin thickness (Sator et al 2001), and also reduces skin wrinkles (Phillips et al 2001). Furthermore, the content and quality of collagen and the level of vascularization is enhanced (Brincat et al 1987).

That seems to fit me.  Although it's 5 years later I look better than I did at the start of menopause.  Before menopause I was REALLY comfortable with my appearance though x

babyjane

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2017, 02:33:46 PM »

I always looked better with a little light make up but since the menopause I can't wear it.  I am so sensitive to everything and I end up with a sore blotchy face, spots and runny eyes even with just a little bit of natural hypoallergenic make up for sensitive skin and eyes.  Even tinted moisturiser didn't help.  :(

nearly50

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 09:42:59 AM »

I am amazed at how old my hands are all of a sudden. They give the game away straight away! Thankfully everyone in my family looks a good decade younger than they really are so my face hasn't caught up yet. I used to go mad when people thought I was younger than I was as a teenager and my mum would say I'd be grateful for it eventually - finally get it!