Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: HRT and mental acuity  (Read 5845 times)

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
Re: HRT and mental acuity
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 12:55:19 PM »

Hi Qwerty
I'd love to hear what they recommend for you medication wise.

Please report back if you can and good luck.

peri

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 06:34:32 PM »

Foggy thinking and poor concentration were one of the first symptoms for me when I hit peri menopause and I remember it's quite frightening.  Once I started hrt I noticed a big improvement but I still wasn't what I used to be.  I read somewhere (probably this forum) it's fluctuating hormone levels that causes it and hrt will halt but not reverse it.  I think that's why I plan to stay on hrt because I don't want to deteriorate.  Having said that since I've had the mirena fitted my short term memory has been terrible (interestingly though not all the time), I think it's my body getting used to the progesterone x

dangermouse

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 07:14:47 PM »

Oh yes it's definitely hormone linked!

My worse thing is losing the thread you're on when explaining something where you just get a mental block. Also recalling names and words you use all the time!

I've noticed on the progesterone that I have my fluidity back and can think whilst speaking (important in my work).

I did also used to not feel myself when on the pill when younger, even after finding one that suited me in most ways. When I stopped it after many years (before more recent hormone probs started) I felt less subdued in my thinking.

Ghostgirl

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 11:19:36 PM »

I'm finding this discussion all quite fascinating in one way, and a bit terrifying in another.   

I loved my ability to think quickly, my aptitude for readily discerning patterns in seemingly improbable topics, and most especially my ability to recall details of subjects I read about and acquired knowledge of... even years later.   I miss those skills!   And its all to do with the fact that I know they're still there, it's just that they seem to take a great deal more concentration and focus than was required when I was younger and it was all so effortless.

That doesn't even properly describe what's changed I don't think.   It occurs to me suddenly that "confidence" might even come into it.   Maybe I used to rely a lot on my mental quickness in social situations, and actually the slight loss of cognitive function makes me feel a bit more vulnerable?   Now there's a thing...  :-\

Again, thank you all for the forthright and honest responses, I really appreciate this ladies, it's given me something, maybe even a LOT to think about  :) x

Qwerty

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2017, 07:49:34 AM »

Hi ghost girl, I completely agree with everything you've said. I too enjoyed quick mental agility and this gave me great confidence in many aspects of my life ; it's such a large part of who you are and has enabled me to build a successful career and enjoy a lovely lifestyle. 

When I say that I'm not just talking about earnings (although that has enabled me to have and do things I want) but I mean it made me the person I am (was)  ..... confident in myself, confident with my family, with my friends , with my colleagues, and in all different situations.  Confident to do and be involved in the things I want.  In a way it defined who I was and now without this I feel like a different person , constrained and almost good for nothing and I wonder if the old / real me will ever come back. That's the scary bit!!

I wanted to post my situation as having had a formal and substantial cognitive test at least I know my reduced mental ability is real (the tests included validation to ensure I wasn't faking anything) and I want others to know this. Overall I think it's good that my test showed significant impairment as, whilst it's still difficult to accept, it does indicate this is caused by menopause (as nothing else has changed in my life) and as we know menopause doesn't last forever and so I've got to be hopeful the real me will emerge at the other end. 

Would love to hear from any women who have experienced this and come out the other end.

Wish you well x

Ghostgirl

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2017, 03:19:51 PM »

Well I spoke to my doctor this morning with all of my concerns, both about his choice of substituting low doze Premique for my now discontinued Prempak C, and about the "cognitive" issues mentioned above, including family history.   He has referred me to the Menopause Clinic at the Infirmary, and I have an appointment next Thursday morning.   He freely admitted that he was no expert on the many different types of HRT, and would happily be guided by someone with greater expertise.   

As to the cognitive side of things, he asked me a bunch of questions about the symptoms, and whether or not they have altered at all over the 6 (ish) years whilst I've been on HRT, and seemed to conclude that I wasn't experiencing anything that indicated any type of dementia.   He told me to discuss it further with the Clinic next week though, and then return for another appointment.

I also spoke to the Pharmacist - the Pharmacy is attached to my GP surgery - and he was really helpful.   He said that both Prempak C and Premique are really old types of HRT, and that with the discontinuance of both Prempak C and the "medium doze" Premique, his feeling is that the low doze Premique (the one I've just been prescribed as a supposed alternative) will not be long for this world either.   I asked if there was a brand of HRT that he thought would be a better alternative and he straight away mentioned Femiston.   Interesting, because I've also read good reports about that one here on the forum.

Anyway I'll see what the Clinic advise next week.

Thanks again to you all, and my sympathies to those who were kind enough to offer confidences about their own experiences.   I'll report back soon!

Ghostgirl

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2017, 04:49:02 PM »

Do let us know how you get on and well done on the GP admitting that he too is on a learning curve.  Maybe take a list of queries next week?

:bighug:

Ghostgirl

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2017, 12:21:44 PM »

I will CLKD, I've got some things scribbled down and I'll add more as I think of them.   

No matter what though, I'm preparing myself for what might be a bit of upheaval over the next 2 or 3 months, because the medium doze Prempak C (0.625/0.15mg) was sequential, so I still had a monthly bleed, whereas the Premique low doze (0.3/1.5mg) prescription left at the pharmacy for me is non-sequential, so as well as being a change for me in the dosage will likely produce no monthly bleed.  :-\

To be honest I'm a bit unhappy about the fact that I wasn't even told that the new prescription was different to my old one, and just left to get on with it without the doctor even feeling that I needed to be informed of the sequential/non-sequential change, and what that might mean as far as periods were concerned, etc, but having spoken again to him on Friday I'm not sure he even realised the difference himself!?   In fact I had to point out the difference to him, having gained some knowledge of the subject from the lovely ladies on this forum  ;) xx

I'm taking the Premique in the meantime, because the alternative is to take nothing at all  :o but after less than 2 weeks in I've already noticed the day/night sweats creeping back a bit more than usual, so I've a feeling that after my appointment with Catriona at the menopause clinic I might be switching to something else again.   I'd really prefer to be back on sequential, as that's what I'm used to, but I'll have to wait and see and will be obviously guided by the expert! lol x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2017, 04:13:24 PM »

That's us then, Experts  ;D.

Some GPs don't think to tell patients, I've had it happen with ADs and as you said, some GPs aren't even aware but they should be if they have a prescribing qualifycation  >:(

Binbon2

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2017, 12:51:31 PM »

Hi Ghostgirl

I do hope that you get some answers when you go to the menopause clinic, and hope that they can advise with some suitable medication. I will watch with interest to see if the consultant can help.

I can relate to you regarding loss of mental ability. I started menopausal symptoms at about 43. I didn't really notice the gradual decline in my mental abilities. Like Qwerty, I had a professional career, and have always been a quick thinker.

I did some training for a new role and really struggled taking on board the new information. I ended up making a few mistakes and then found myself on a performance improvement plan. Whilst on the plan my peri-menopausal symptoms dramatically worsened, giving me hot flushes and insomnia.

I ended up being dismissed due to medical capability in November last year (age 45) as the HRT didn't resolve all my symptoms, and I didn't feel like me at all.

I do feel better now the stress of work has gone, but am aware of my reduced mental ability, which makes me feel less good about myself, and reluctant to consider a formal 9-5 job again. I have picked up some casual work, but hope that the foggy thinking may improve as I go through the menopause.

Ghostgirl, thanks for posting, and thanks to everyone who has replied - it helps to know that it is not just me experiencing these symptoms.

Sally66

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2017, 01:27:58 PM »

A fascinating thread and one I can relate to, though don't have any specific advice to offer. 

I'm rather seriously hoping HRT can help improve my mental abilities (pretty quickly!). Like Qwerty, I feel like a decades long career is about to come to end with major financial consequences ...

So this is really just a note to offer empathy to those in a similar situation ...

S

Ghostgirl

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2017, 09:32:34 PM »

Hi Binbon, Hi Sally, good to meet you both  :)   

You know when I first decided to post a thread on this subject I didn't expect to hear about so many other ladies with similar issues, it honestly surprised me!   Just shows you that sometimes it's good to talk, at least I now know that a) I'm not imagining it all, b) I'm not nutty as a fruitcake, and c) there are others' suffering similar problems.   Not that that in itself is a good thing, you understand!!... but you know what I mean I'm sure  :)

It's a bit ridiculous though, isn't it?   It feels like ...oh my god what on earth is my body thinking??   This can't be right!?   I mean, I expected certain things from "getting older", creaky joints, aches and pains, even weight gain, but I definitely did NOT see this coming!

Anyway thanks for introducing yourselves, and posting your experiences, I'll let you know how I get on at the Clinic, and pass on any help or advice I'm given.   Hopefully others can then benefit as well.

Ghostgirl x

Ghostgirl

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2017, 05:37:26 PM »

Hello  again ladies, I just thought you might like to know about something quite interesting that appears to be happening to me!

As those who have read through this thread will be aware, I had a bit of a bungle with my HRT prescription after the unexpected news that my Prempak C had been discontinued.   My doctor put me on low doze Premique as an alternative, however that, as it turned out, wasn't really a decent alternative at all, being as my Prempak C was "medium doze" and "sequential" (so, with a monthly bleed), however the Premique was "low doze" and "non-sequential" (no monthly bleed).   After speaking to a very nice lady called Catriona at the local menopause clinic I went back to my doctor armed with her advice, which was to try something like Femiston 2/10.   Fortunately the doctor was more than happy to comply.

Anyway, after around 3 weeks of struggling by on the Premique, as I'd started the packet so was advised to finish (night sweats started returning rather rapidly just over a week in  ::) ) and then a further couple of weeks of symptoms gradually improving after I started on the first packet of Femiston 2/10, something appears to be happening that I DID'NT expect, I have noticed a perceptible lifting of the "brain fog" and slow-wittedness that's proved so tiresome for the past few years, AND I've recently been feeling a whole lot more alive and alert, in general, which is just so much more fabulous than I can express  In fact, it may sound daft, I actually feel younger!   :bouncing:

So what's this all about?   Was I just on the wrong HRT - for me, anyway - for all those years?   

I know that Prempak C and Premique are two of the much older versions of HRT, and that Femiston is far newer and more modern, as well as being synthetically made in the lab rather than using the old, ah, horse piss...  ;D ...so maybe the older types alleviated my symptoms, but on the other hand just didn't really suit me as far as my mental acuity was concerned??   

Who knows.   What I do know is that I've gone on a diet, bought some new clothes, had my hair re-styled and and changed the colour, and yesterday I went out and bought paper and paint to start decorating two fights of stairs and a landing!!

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 03:03:27 PM by Ghostgirl »

Binbon2

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2017, 06:41:24 PM »

Glad that the new HRT regime is helping you feel so much better and helping with the brain fog  :)

Ghostgirl

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2017, 03:01:15 PM »

Glad that the new HRT regime is helping you feel so much better and helping with the brain fog  :)

Thanks Binbon, this experience has made me realise that sometimes it's not good to just accept without question what the doctor prescribes for you, assuming that one-size-fits-all, so to speak.   Fingers crossed the unexpected discontinuance of my original prescription may yet turn out to be a blessing in disguise!

If I've learned one thing it's that if a medication is working in some respects, but causing unwanted side-effects in another, then clearly it's worth requesting an alternative to try.
Pages: 1 [2] 3