Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Deciding whether to attend breast screening  (Read 6492 times)

Claireylou

Re: Deciding whether to attend breast screening
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2017, 07:15:44 PM »

I was glad to be rid of my nasty cells. Wasn't prepared to sit and wait and hope that they changed back  :-\

Each to their own I suppose .....

coldethyl

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2017, 09:09:03 PM »

I think this is a different topic as I suggested previously.  Many cancers are more 'common' than breast disease but don't have the funding due to breasts being 'in the public eye' as it were so awareness can be raised: I wish that at the same time, other diseases were brought into view but as each is funded separately  ::) ......... I know 3 people who died of ovarian cancer as it's known as 'the silent killer' - 1 died a week after diagnosis  :'(.

I think it is importatnt for us all to keep talking and debating regardless .........

There is a drive to bring ovarian cancer more into public eye... Think it's national OC month this month, I know there's been lots on my Twitter feed. It is often diagnosed late hence the " silent killer" tag but it needn't be . One consultant I read blamed poor survival rates on late diagnosis due to lack of awareness amongst GPs - the symptoms are quite vague and could be any one of many things but GPs need to refer earlier nd be wrong rather than fob women off with diagnoses of IBS , anxiety , reflux etc. Mine was only picked up because I had irregular bleeding due to an unrelated uterine cancer . Although no direct family history of it ( my mum's cousin died of it 4 weeks after diagnosis after being  back and got to GP for over year ) my history of endometriosis and fertility drugs might  have triggered screening if a national screening programme of annual blood tests was in place. So much money is spent on breast cancer that I agree a lot of other ones get overlooked. X

Katty

« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2017, 01:21:21 AM »

Thank you for your responses. This has raised a lot of issues around screening. It is a very personal decision. I wonder what the view really is amongst those in the medical profession. Have they got confidence in the system or do they privately opt out ?

Cassie

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2017, 07:40:57 AM »

Coldethyl you do not need to answer this if you are not comfortable, but could you possibly describe what the possible symptoms could be or what to look out for in ovarian cancer. I always panic as I am very prone to ovarian cysts, have had them surgically removed on a previous occassion, which is what, I firmly believe, brought on my early meno. On several visits, thereafter, over the years, there have been small functional fluid filled cysts noted again, despite me being post meno and on HRT,  but because the blood tests have always been normal, no follow up has been suggested, one always wonders.....so not sure really what more one could look out for symptoms wise.... :-\Did you also have cysts?  Thankyou

coldethyl

« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2017, 10:12:15 AM »

I was pretty much asymptomatic with the OC, Cassie- it was found on a scan for an enlarged uterus on pelvic examination.
They can often tell from a CT scan in particular whether it is a functional cyst such as you are describing or a complex cyst such as the ones I had which can be endometriomas ( I had endometriosis) as well as cancer. Both types of cysts can turn malignant , more commonly post meno so it is good to get checked out. the CA125 blood test is used to measure inflammation in body and elevated levels are indicative of cancer of ovary, bowel or womb, as well as being higher in women with endometriosis or inflammatory bowel disease.
The symptoms you need to look out for are:
Feeling full after eating and loss of appetite
Nausea/vomiting
Weight loss without trying or weight gain particularly in stomach area- that was the only thing I noticed
Increased frequency of urination
Bowel changes
Pain on intercourse
Pelvic pain

The problem is that these could be so many things and are often dismissed by GPs as minor ailments so it can be a long time before correct diagnosis is given. At surgery I had a very large mass on my right ovary but until the week or so before had no obvious symptoms- I was "lucky" in that I also turned out to have a very early unrelated womb cancer which is what took me to GP as I was always spotting. I think the best thing to do is to ask for your cysts to be monitored regularly and to ask for routine blood tests- I know that is offered to younger women at high risk so would imagine a blood test every year wouldn't break the bank and would help settle your mind.

Cassie

« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2017, 12:22:12 PM »

Thankyou Coldethyl, I appreciate your input x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2017, 02:03:44 PM »

Tipsydilly - I think that you need to re-read the T&Cs as advertising is not allowed.  You seem to be pushing as well as hijacking the basic theme of this particular Thread.

You could ring to ask Katty - it's something I often ask about situations if I'm not sure, even in the Vet. surgery  ::).  How about ringing to put your worries forwards, then decide yes or no: if you have the screening now, it will give the Radiographer something to base future investigations against should they become necessary.  When the non-sinister lump went to histology and was found to have 'changes', my Surgeon and the radiographer went through my previous mammogram scans with a fine tooth comb to see if anything had been missed.  Nope.  But for the 3 of us it was a learning curve ........ I had found the lump on palpation.  Mum's was found on mammo and was cancerous on film and clinically.

ellie66

« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2017, 02:47:14 PM »

Advertising I merely point out other point of view with academic reference! The thread is about whether to attend for screening. I am answering another Poster about do I know if doctors do not attend!

ellie66

« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2017, 02:50:18 PM »

I was responding to Katty question "Do medical professionals have confidence in the system or do they opt out".
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]