Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Missed period  (Read 14832 times)

nearly50

Re: Missed period
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2017, 07:36:10 PM »

Totally 'normal'. My periods always lasted 5 days, and weren't heavy at all. For the past 2 years they've lasted around 10 days and in 2015 I spent literally half the year with a period. I sometimes had no break between them, other times a couple of days but usually a fortnight's break. I had flooding incidents, have to get up a couple of times a night on the worst nights and my ferritin halved in a few months. Sorry, none of this is supposed to frighten you and I hope it hasn't, but just to show you that 'normal' goes out the window.

My periods sometimes start heavy, sometimes start with pink spotting, and sometimes brown spotting. None of that is anything to worry about though, just a pain when you've spent 30 odd years with predictable, manageable periods.

Maybe you'll go back to what was normal for you for a wee while, maybe the gaps will lengthen further, maybe they will get closer together. You do sort of get used to the unpredictability though.

Claireylou

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2017, 07:43:44 PM »

No you haven't frightened me at all. Quite the opposite. I'm reassured to hear everyone's experiences.

I was so desperate earlier, I googled which really sent me spinning downwards. Hubby is away on business and it's not something you want to discuss with two teenage boys  :)

I think I'll just stick to reassurance from you gorgeous ladies, if you can put up with my ramblings  :)

nearly50

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2017, 07:56:02 PM »

Good, and feel free to say and ask anything you like. I've told my younger friends my job when they are going through it is to say 'no, you're not dying and you don't have to go to A&E'. I remember worrying for months and then my sister telling me she'd experienced the exact same thing. I suppose it is a thin line between frightening younger women about what might happen, and preparing them, but this site is great for sharing experiences.

Claireylou

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2017, 07:59:28 PM »

I totally agree with you. I haven't got any close friends and I live in the country which can be lonely at times. I've got no one to swap notes with apart from coming on here  :)

This evening it's started to feel like a proper period with a proper flow and associated pms instead of stopping and starting dribble if that makes sense xxx ?

nearly50

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2017, 08:02:53 PM »

What I found really strange was that my period would sometimes be light during the day and then kick in at 8ish at night. Would also stop and start a lot.

Haha, don't know why I'm talking in the past tense. Only had one period since October but I'm sure I have more to come and it is going to be such a shock to the systom after the break I've had.

Claireylou

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2017, 08:05:01 PM »

This one is the other way around  ;D

It's been a steady flow all day but now I'm sat don it's easing off a bit. It's a kerfuffle being a woman sometimes xxx

Claireylou

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2017, 02:07:38 PM »

Well this has turned into a nightmare period. Not especially painful but quite heavy for me. I've passed a few clots(nothing huge) and it's kind of gushing out of me (sorry tmi). Not all of the time just every now and again  :(

If anyone could help me with this I'd be extremely grateful. I'm so scared ...  :'(

Claireylou

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2017, 02:27:44 PM »

Thank you for replying Sparkle, you've been a huge help. It's the feeling like it's slowing down/stopping then all of a sudden i will have a little gush. Blood looks normal colour for a period. But it's frightened the heck out of me  :(

Thanks again Sparkle xxx

Claireylou

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2017, 02:35:53 PM »

Oh it's horrible. I suffer from health anxiety anyway and this has sent it through the roof. I've totally convinced myself I've got something terribly wrong down there.

Like I said earlier, this cycle was 42 days long. Started off peachy/pinky/pale brown and has gradually got heavier. My periods have never lasted this long and it sent me into a huge panic xxx

nearly50

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2017, 05:02:36 PM »

Hi Claireylou,

Yeah, I'm afraid your stop/start/gush period is pretty much the norm for me now. Don't be frightened if the colour changes too, mine can go from pink to bright red to brown and everything in between. Mine are like that for two days or so and it isn't pleasant, especially if you have flooding. This is TMI but sometimes I'd be aware that I had soaked through a super tampon and super sanitary town in literally a few seconds. Only happened about 2 or 3 times but each time I'd be in the middle of a conversation with a young person and internally thinking WTF - I am about to die?! while carrying on a conversation as if nothing was happening. Horrendous, and that's what makes me very nervous about being in work or on holiday during periods.

Hope it stops soon :)

Claireylou

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2017, 05:28:29 PM »

Oh Nearly 50 that sounds just like me. Stop, start, gush, stop and all colours. It's an awful feeling when it just runs out. Today I've been too scared to move. Only passed a few small clots but enough to scare me witless.

I think I'm frightened because it hasn't behaved like a normal period for me. The length of time, how it started, colours, clots have all been different. I'm guessing it's because I was almost 3 weeks late.

Thanks again for your reassurance xxx

Claireylou

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2017, 05:29:27 PM »

Sparkle I couldn't agree with you more. I really want the confident me back xxx  >:(

nearly50

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2017, 05:35:05 PM »

Oh Nearly 50 that sounds just like me. Stop, start, gush, stop and all colours. It's an awful feeling when it just runs out. Today I've been too scared to move. Only passed a few small clots but enough to scare me witless.

I think I'm frightened because it hasn't behaved like a normal period for me. The length of time, how it started, colours, clots have all been different. I'm guessing it's because I was almost 3 weeks late.

Thanks again for your reassurance xxx

I know, it is horrible. I'm only thankful that I was so lucky with my periods for 30 years. It has opened my eyes to what some women have to deal with every month.

Mine were like that even if there were only a couple of days between periods I'm afraid. It has just became my new normal. Hopefully yours will revert to normal next time, but at least you'll be a bit more prepared.

Maybe have a look here too
http://www.healthtalk.org/peoples-experiences/later-life/menopause/changes-periods

Oh and when they are heavy take a couple of ibuprofen throughout the day as that cuts the amount of blood lost.

Claireylou

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2017, 05:40:41 PM »

Thank you for the link Nearly 50. Unfortunately I am unable to take ibuprofen due to reflux. Was so desparate earlier I nearly took myself off to a and e but I was too scared to stand up  :-\

I am taking floradix to top up my iron. It seems to have eased a bit now. I've just got "background" blood on my pad (oh gosh I'm so sorry for tmi).

As you say at least I'm prepared for the next one but I'm hope with all my heart it doesn't become my norm xxx

Claireylou

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2017, 10:00:41 PM »

:) I sincerely hope you're right Sparkle.

Things have calmed down a bit for me this evening. No more clots, just a small amount of the gushing and only a smear of blood in between. Headache and nausea have eased too thank goodness.

I'll probably be awake all night worried I might seep through my clothes but my DH is with me and he always has a calming effect on me.

When I feel the panic rising I just read back my posts and your lovely replies. Can't thank you enough xxx  :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6