Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Living without adrenal glands  (Read 2048 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Living without adrenal glands
« on: March 02, 2017, 10:16:33 PM »

OH PLEASE!  watching the lady Doctor last night on ? Channel ? she interveiwed a man who had Cushings Disease so his adrenal glands had been removed.  He now feels NO fear  :o  8) ........ he knows what situations are dangerous as he is old enough to be aware but even abseiling down The Lighthouse in Northampton [anyone remember Wogan ? ] - it's a Lift Tower now, no longer in use for testing lifts but used for Charity Events: he had no reactions to coming down!

Off to research Cushings ......

Meg

Re: Living without adrenal glands
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 12:20:47 AM »

Really interesting .  Hope that much more research can be done and that we can make inroads into the causes and treatment of anxiety which adversely affects so many people's lives.

Meg

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 08:14:35 AM »

No sure what the "OH PLEASE" was about?

Taz x  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 03:16:31 PM »

I did wonder in the night if it would be confusing  ;D - OH PLEASE may I get rid of my adrenal glands! to never feel anxiety again would be a real dream come true  8)

countrybumpkin

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 10:26:25 PM »

I understood what the oh please meant, can sympathise!

I was tested for cushings disease  a few years ago because my cortisol levels were very low ( probably due to being worn out with all the anxiety all my life ::))

It was interesting test, had a massive injection into my thigh muscle and then had blood taken every hour for a few hours and close watch on my blood pressure. I didn't have cushings thankfully.

Seriously cushings is a very nasty and can be life threatening illness if you have a crisis.  It also causes you to get very dark skin in certain skin folds/inside mouth etc and it was odd having my skin folds examined!

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 11:12:08 PM »

At least you were thoroughly investigated.  Did U require any treatment?

coldethyl

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 10:57:39 AM »

I have a friend who has some sort of adrenal disease - she doesn't react to any body challenging events at all so has various meds keeping her going- sadly they can't keep her going forever as all the meds plus the illness mean she is diabetic, has heart issues etc so in effect now in her late 40s she is on a trajectory to nowhere soon.
I'd say be careful what you wish for- at my worst last January with suicidal ideation I begged to be let die- now I may have  my wish and I'm begging to be kept alive. xx

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 01:53:39 PM »

To have no anxiety again would help my mental health enormously!  However, without anxiety we would probably not have any money 'cos I'd be off, here, there and at least the Italian Lakes  ;D

countrybumpkin

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 10:07:54 PM »

I was negative for cushings so that was the end of it for the nhs. That was 10 years ago.
Coldethyl it sounds very much like your friend has cushings and it is a very nasty illness and can be life limiting especially if the body is challenged and a cushing crisis happens >:(