Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Is it ok to use expired utrogestan please?  (Read 4674 times)

Dandelion

Is it ok to use expired utrogestan please?
« on: February 26, 2017, 08:40:05 PM »

I've just found a box of out of date utrogestan.
Should I chuck it away, or will it be ok to use, it expired in 1/16?
thaanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Is it ok to use expired utrogestan please?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 09:10:00 PM »

Why have you got something out of date  :-\ .......... take it to your local Pharmacist, DO NOT throw it in the bin, medicines have to be disposed of correctly.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 10:49:34 PM »

Well yes it's fine for me! I've only just stopped using my Utrogestan expired October 2015 and gone onto Utro expired October 2016! Because I use it less often than prescribed I seemed to have accumulated it so never seem to catch up with the date as I always use the oldest first when my cycle comes round again! I can tell it's working from the side effects, my uterus lining has always been fine, as has my bleed. This is not official advice though  ;D . Entirely up to you. I mean it's not going to be OK one day and then suddenly not the next. It has a 3 year "shelf-life" but provided it has been kept in conditions not too hot, damp etc then it will last longer than this. Maybe your Jan 2016 is getting a bit old though?

CLKD - there was a wonderful subject on Radio 4 Saturday Live yesterday about the oldest item in your food cupboard or fridge (then extended to other objects) - I only caught the odd sentence. Yesss! I thought - it's a standing joke in our household. I had a hunt for old stuff and found a tin exp 2004...(Sweet chestnut puree from France)  and some sticky barbecue marinade in the fridge ( from when the children still lived here) exp 2007!!! It is fine to have things that are out of date as long as you know what you've got and what might happen to it!

Sorry Dandelion got carried away there!

Hurdity x

Dandelion

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 01:09:28 PM »

hi @Hurdity and @CLKD

Thank you for your replies. It's ok Hurdity, I don't mind you getting carried away, thanks for your informative post. I will dispose of all old meds at the chemist.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 03:12:03 PM »

It can't  ::) ..........